A quick lighten and veneer job

Hi again,

I won't go into any major detail on this because I'm (slowly) drafting a 'Bedroom Builders - veneering without the tears' tutorial that is hugely overdue but will be finished soon-ish.

I got approached recently by a member off the Basschat forum to see if I could make his entry-level Jazz bass lighter.

I'll do this in photos up to present but happy to add more details if anyone wants them.

It's a nice playing, nice looking £120 bass:

_MG_0187.JPG

...but one that weighs heading towards 11lb

It turns out to be solid Ash, despite it's price point.  No point in messing about:

_MG_0257.JPG

It is always surprising how little weight is removed...but it all helps.  This had got rid of 1lb 12oz once the thin basswood caps were on:

_MG_0286.JPG

Then out comes the iron...this is what the tutorial will be about:

_MG_0309.JPG

And on goes the red ink:

_MG_0361.JPG

And now you're up to date.  Next will be the clear coats and veneering of the headstock :)

• Like 4

Here it is with a couple of coats of varnish and the headstock also done.  The sunflower (a specific request by the owner) will set fully into a cutout - it's an exact fit so I won't press that in until I've finished the varnishing.  Doesn't look bad for a £120 bass...

_MG_0438.JPG

_MG_0424.JPG

_MG_0421.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...