Swel Guitar #2 Limba & Maple

Not much time on my hands at the moment to start my second build, but I need to make some design decisions maybe you guys can help me with.

I've got a nice piece of Birdsey maple from which I used one piece for my first build. So going to make me another be-maple neck.

Also I've got a nice piece of be-maple for a fretboard, so that's all set.

Then I've got a black limba matched top which I'd like to use for my next project. Don't have wood for the body yet though, so definitely want to hear your recommendations!

for a body design I'm thinking about a Mosrite-ish shape but with sharper horns. Maybe with a strong contour so you see 2 different woods on the top.

anybody got some good experience with Black Limba?

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

g2g-daguet-mosrite-face-1.jpg

Edited by 10pizza
  • Like 1

I have used it previously- a word of caution from an experience I had. It is prone to splitting. The picture below is from 2010/2011ish- I was helping a fellow PGer (sorry Chris where ever you are I cant remember your user name) with his first build- a 2 inch (or maybe thicker) PRS mccarthy type guitar. We had started routing out the neck pocket- got it about half way- decided to put the neck in just to see how it fit- it was a little tight- Chris forced it down in and it split the body. I didnt think it was so tight as to cause an almost 2" thick piece of hardwood to split like that- but it did. The pic below is after gluing the split- which was in the left bottom neck pocket corner and went almost all the way to the back of the body. Point is- if the neck pocket is tight- dont force it in. Lesson learned- and now shared. 

I dig the mock up you have- very cool.I am especially liking those p-90 type pickups!  

005_2.jpg

• Like 1

Yep I totally agree with what was said above, I'm not sure if you follow my build thread or not but I just learned the hard way yesterday about black limba splitting. This happened with just moving it with my hands before it was glued up, wasn't expecting that at all. 

You can see it on the bass horn of the first body. 

IMG_0093.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim
  • Like 1

@2.5itimman that sucks! Good to know so I can be extra careful. very nice body you've made there with the padauk! 

following your thread now as well, Nice looking neck as well with the maple/walnut combination. 

I'll reply on your thread so we don't mix things up, but surely an interesting build you've got there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

spent some time this weekend at my wood-supplier. Man, it's like a 6-year old walking in a candy store!

I'll probably go for a walnut body with the limba top. My supplier is getting some new pieces of walnut next week and he'll make a few selections for me.

Now I'll try to do some photoshopping to create my design.

• 2 weeks later...

Received word last friday that we have a daughter waiting for us in Nicaragua!

her name is Isabel Maria Teresa, 16 months old.

this build therefore is going on hold as we will be going to Nicaragua for 4 months!