Headless Travelcaster Build Report

finally finished! Took over two years, mostly because of the issues with finishing. I designed the guitar and my father helped build it from scratch. It's heavily inspired by Kotzen Telecaster model, but made a bunch of changes: headless design based on Hisphot system, 20% smaller body (alter + flame maple), quartersawn maple neck with asymmetrical soft V profile (23mm tick at the nut), Dimarzio Chopper and Fast Track 1 pickups with LP switch and split-coil push-pull volume pot, EVO gold jumbo frets.

We don't have equipment to do finishing ourselves, so we are at the mercy of people who do it, and they stalled it for years doing bigger jobs that pay more. But happy to report that it's done and loving it so far. It’s portable and light (weighs only 2.6kg or 5.7lbs) and even though it’s not as loud played unplugged as my other guitars, it sustains as good or better than my other guitars. Hipshot headless system works pretty well.

Chopper and Fast Track 1 are perfectly balanced and work great on their own and combined. The sit right in the middle between Strat, Tele, LP and modern guitars. There’s more power than Strat/Tele, but not too much. They are not harsh, but also not honky or muddy. Enough output to push the amp hard, but still can clean up nicely. Very usable sound that can be shaped to do pretty much anything. Splitting the coils roughly halves the output and adds some sparkle to the tone, so it can be used as a clean/drive or rhythm/lead switch.

for more info and more photos from early stages of builing visit http://diy-fever.com/guitars/kotzen-travelcaster/

Few clips, guitar into interface, S-Gear VST with Plexi-style factory preset. No additional effects or adjustments

Cheers,
Bane

SAM_4482.jpg

SAM_4440.jpgSAM_4446.jpgSAM_4473-Edit.jpgSAM_4461.jpg

SAM_4431.jpg

SAM_4434.jpg

SAM_4442.jpg

SAM_4465.jpg

SAM_4486.jpg

SAM_4488.jpg

wow, cool build! Sounds great too! funnily enough I have a Kotzen Tele planned for the next round too (but with much fewer mods, probably just angled headsock and different heel design and maybe slightly different woods).

Doest the original use EVO gold too or was that your addition? I love how gold frets work with gold/brown guitars, I was also thinking to go with these.

Did you use any special trick for doing the binding channel over the armrest?