Headstock veneer (need some advice)

Max Bosco

Hello there, my first post here. Just took a look around and it seems a very nice community, I think it's the right place to ask some advice :)

I want to add a headstock veneer with some custom graphics on a LP style guitar, so I bought 3 sheets of black gabon ebony (see pic, currently waiting for delivery). The thickness of the sheets is 0.5mm so I have to glue them together (I think 1.5mm is ok, right?). 

I'm looking for any tip(s) on how to create a perfect sandwich. Which kind of glue should I use? How much? How to apply the glue? Any particular thing I should know? I'm a bit worried because of the thikness, I fear the sheets will crumble very easily if not handled properly :mellow:

Thanks in advance, any suggestion is welcome!

ebony-headplate-veneer-01-412x570.jpg

Clamping the layers of veneer in between something flat and thick would be one way of doing it. Some timber boards or thick acrylic plastic larger than the area of the veneer would work, with the faces of the boards lined with grease-proof baking paper to prevent the veneer from sticking to the boards. Generic PVA wood working glue should be fine.

You'd have to be careful that the layers of veneer don't start sliding around when glued and clamped. Maybe line one edge of the veneer stack with some masking tape, like the spine of a book?