Pete's Piccolo Bass

Hi

Yes - me again.  And Pete again!!

For those who haven't seen the other threads, Pete is our old-blokes-band's bassist and, for reasons that I don't fully understand, is my best customer.  I can only assume that the low frequencies and our band's general bad playing has somehow shaken up his brain cells to the point that he can't differentiate between properly made  instruments and my hobbyist efforts :rolleyes:     Hmmm.......or that he has realised how much cheaper my efforts are.....and that he can always get them fixed if they ever go wrong (which happily they never have yet)...or that maybe he's dating MrsAndyjr1515 while muggins is down in the cellar wading through sawdust....

Anyway, so far I have built him a Jack Bruce Warwick-style fretless bass, an SG-style 6-string electric and an EB3-style fretted bass.  And now he wants me to build him a piccolo bass!

So, first question to ask, 'What's a piccolo bass?'

OK - there are multiple answers to that so, to cut to the chase, this is what I'm going to build him, whether it's what he's expecting or not:

• A guitar-sized bass, pitched at an octave higher than a normal bass, which makes it, essentially, a 4 string guitar
  • To try to get a non-electric guitar tone: going for a single, mid-biased rails pickup in the neck position; multi-scale (26" at bass side and 25" at treble); flatwound strings
  • Figured walnut top, with teardrop f hole and chamber; mahogany wings; maple and mahogany laminated through-neck; snakewood fretboard; 24 frets

Here's broadly what it's going to look like (I'll actually reduce the angle at the nut and increase it at the multi-element bridge:

_MG_0768.thumb.JPG.4e9160fbbea7516083ce0db176ccd24a.JPG

Here's the top:

IMG_0756.thumb.JPG.f80cddc4ae50d81b0d0caf2a902f4223.JPG

..and the main components with the neck splices cut, waiting gluing together:

_MG_0772.thumb.JPG.28ae46d5a9211a6cad2048675317654b.JPG

I'm looking forward to this one...probably in the same way as a small clueless child might look forward to scouts forest trip on the outskirts of Mordor.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That's a nice looking walnut top, Claro Walnut I presume?

Am I seeing back/body blanks with horizontal grain orientation?

SR

No - it's chatter marks from the original sawing.  It was a couple of boards originally destined for fancy flooring that were rejected because of that so I was able to pick them up relatively cheaply.  The grain goes the other way (same board as I used on the Mouradian-ish back wings) :)

2 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Ahhh. Now that you mention it, if I look more closely...and put some cheaters on, I can see the actual grain. You'll have a little bit of work to do cleaning that lot up.

SR

Actually, I'm going to cheat...and put it through the thicknesser... ;)

I ran the mahogany sections through the thicknesser to get rid of the saw chatter and then cut the sections, slightly oversize:

_MG_0789.thumb.JPG.cb85c145d3c208cf1fa87efb5e8abd5f.JPG

With these kinds of top, I usually use the top as the routing template for the mahogany sections underneath once they are glued up and in place

The next task is probably the fretboard.  As you all know, I build these things slightly unconventionally and will be cutting a notch in the neck so the wings and body section of the neck become the flat surface for the top to be glued onto. However, the notch will be angled slightly to accommodate the neck angle, and the neck angle needed depends on the height of the fretted fretboard...

Hmmm....multi-scale....snakewood...    OK, well this could end up badly!

One of these days I will build conventionally...I'm sure it must be more straightforward... 

Well, with the normal warning that these threads are always simply about how I personally go about things and never that this is the way you should go about things, I'm into totally new territory: multi-scale and hand-cut fret slots.

First I got into some decent light...I thought I'd give daylight a try for old-times' sake.  I clamped a ruler to the fretboard to the workbench, at the angle that the strings will run at and starting at the angled nut position:

_MG_0800.thumb.JPG.9220a8a593c8620cdaa2070528a93c7b.JPG

Then a double-check, triple-check, quadruple-check measure against the treble scale and a sharp tap with a hardened metal point:

_MG_0801.thumb.JPG.db43915d1ddbfeed53e0bea1589dc1fa.JPG

Then ditto for the bass string run. Then clamping with a squared piece of wood, that has been cut at a height to allow 3mm blade exposure, using the saw's blade clamp strip to prevent the blade cutting too deep:

_MG_0809.thumb.JPG.560158baebd73b0eba24d16e32d1cfb0.JPG

Then gentle sawing against the wood block until the slot was formed, then hard sawing to depth. Snakewood is VERY hard...this is my exercise for the week sorted!

And, if I've got everything correct...this should be a 26" to 25" fanned set of slots!:

_MG_0812.thumb.JPG.e5023be9c3d187343c1889975a1b7bc0.JPG

Only time will tell...

And I must be losing my touch...that felt relatively conventional :D

• Like 2

Basically I've done all of the machining I need to do before gluing the wings and top onto the neck, excepting one thing I'm going to do next:

_MG_0813.thumb.JPG.ed0694fe18534ccce0a6cca32b915d79.JPG

As you can see, done is: the control chamber and cable run to it from the pickup position; the pickup cutout in the walnut top; the 'semi' chamber under the teardrop f-hole; the truss-rod slot.

Final thing I have to do before anything gets glued is cut the neck plan-view shape. I'll do that once I've checked the positioning of everything...again....! :rolleyes:

You missed an opportunity to cut the f-hole in the shape of one of your trademark Swifts ;)

Interesting to read/watch/hear about piccolo basses. I was previously vaguelly aware of them, but had always assumed they were tuned to sit somewhere between a regular bass and a standard guitar (say, pitched up a 4th from a 4-string bass, A/D/G/C)

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

You missed an opportunity to cut the f-hole in the shape of one of your trademark Swifts ;)

Interesting to read/watch/hear about piccolo basses. I was previously vaguelly aware of them, but had always assumed they were tuned to sit somewhere between a regular bass and a standard guitar (say, pitched up a 4th from a 4-string bass, A/D/G/C)

Great minds think alike...I actually made a paper template originally to see what it looks like :thumb:.

And it looked rubbish :lol:

The guitar that is pitched somewhere between the bass and standard is the baritone.  I can't remember what the standard tuning is of a baritone but it is pitched somewhere in that region.  Ref the piccolo, the more usual arrangement is fitting of special piccolo strings to a standard bass and pitching up to the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string guitar.  A few of the mainstream string manufacturers make strings for the purpose (including, I think, D'Addario).  That would have been a more straightforward but much less exciting option :)

4 hours ago, Norris said:

That walnut looks gorgeous

Thanks, @Norris  :)

The top will be shaped with a smooth convex curve - I think that will suit the figuring nicely.  Before I do that, though, I have to decide on 'do I or don't I?' for binding and, if I go ahead with some, how I want to do it: curve the top then apply an even binding (challenging) or bind it while the top is still flat but then have the binding varying in width round the curve (easier but maybe less visually attractive). 

I'll decide when I can see it with the top and back blocks all glued up (in progress with the glue curing as I type ;))

By the way, I should be able to bring this to the Basschat East Midlands bash if you're still planning on going :)