Tips on dying a quilted top

To get good quality quilted maple to just "show through a bit" is relatively simple. Just sand it smooth, say up to 320 or 400 grit and wipe on the dye. It is amazing what that will do. Or sand it smooth and spray it with lacquer that has been tinted with the dye. 

Many like to "pop" the grain to get a more dramatic effect. That is normally done by dyeing it in a darker version of your final color, say blue deepened with black. Then sand it back leaving only the darkest area with any dye in them and then dying a gain with the color you were going after in the first place.

Here are a couple of my own builds with dyed quilted maple:

You can also find several tutorials on this  in our tutorial section and youtube videos galore.

SR

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

To get good quality quilted maple to just "show through a bit" is relatively simple. Just sand it smooth, say up to 320 or 400 grit and wipe on the dye. It is amazing what that will do. Or sand it smooth and spray it with lacquer that has been tinted with the dye. 

Many like to "pop" the grain to get a more dramatic effect. That is normally done by dyeing it in a darker version of your final color, say blue deepened with black. Then sand it back leaving only the darkest area with any dye in them and then dying a gain with the color you were going after in the first place.

Here are a couple of my own builds with dyed quilted maple:

You can also find several tutorials on this  in our tutorial section and youtube videos galore.

SR

A good build thread never gets old! How thick was the top you used on Justin's guitar?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stevie_Ray said:

Thanks Scott I wasn't sure if i had to pop the grain or not I've seen some people say yes then others say no. Also that is one awesome looking guitar!

I like to pop it, but no you do not have to to get a great look. And every coat of dye you add makes the darker areas even darker.

Highly figured maple is an absolute joy to dye. As I am wont to say, everyone should try it once!

And perhaps the best advice I can give you is to practice on scrap first. It will give you a great idea of how your maple is going to react.

SR

• Like 1