Build for the Gremlin

Jdogg

So, I haven't posed a build here in a while.  figured i'd post this one as I think it's rather fun.

Got the green light to start the build early January.  been prepping stock and waiting for parts to come in since (had to buy some stuff from china to save $$$).

Specs are pretty simple

22-3/4" scale length.

maple / wenge neck

Alder body

black hardware

SPIDERMAN theme...  cuz my little guy's crazy about Spider-Man.

more to come soon.

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_19751.jpg

IMG_19861.jpg

IMG_19781.jpg

• Like 1

as absolutely sweet as that would look...  sadly I have neither the skill nor the itty bitty dremmel bits to pull that off...  the spider alone severely tested my skills and tools...  let alone an itty bitty strand of silk.... 

I am however waiting to surprise you with my idea for the top...  if it works out...  LOL....  if it doesn't I may just have to sand it off and keep my big mouth shut!

Finally got a bit more time in the garage today.  got some good progress too.

Got the outside profile of the neck done and then proceeded to cut the trussrod slot.  I'm using a spoke wheel truss rod on this build...  gotta say,  they're 10x as much work as a regular LMII trussrod... so I'm not sure I'm impressed...  doesn't help that this one is from ebay so it's not 100% super quality... 

Pics from today...

IMG_19911.jpg

IMG_19922.jpg

I'm really happy with how the headstock lamination is looking....  I think that'll be badass once everything comes together...  yeah....

Thanks Knightro,

I'm making the move over here as someday I'd eventually like to sell a guitar or two... which seems to be blasphemy over at SSO.  if you've sold a guitar, you are a professional builder and therefore must quit your day job, build full time and pay to join their dealers section.... 

I really should get my name changed over here tho...  I've had this account since before I started using Deegatron.... 

Looking ace!

pinwheel trussrods are a real pain to fit but nicer to use I think. 

Love the spider and curious to see what your plans for the top are. 

On on another note I see you are working on one of those kit carpenters benches. What's it like and which did you get? I've been thinking about one as a second working area but not seen one up close and personal. 

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Pariahrob said:

Looking ace!

pinwheel trussrods are a real pain to fit but nicer to use I think. 

Love the spider and curious to see what your plans for the top are. 

On on another note I see you are working on one of those kit carpenters benches. What's it like and which did you get? I've been thinking about one as a second working area but not seen one up close and personal. 

Cheers!

I've never used a pinweel trussrod so I'm a little Leary about using this one...  hopefully it turns out ok.  if not i'll just build him a new neck... lol...

I bought it from Canadian woodworker.  it's the "beaver" brand I believe.  it's listed for $530 but I think it was closer to $350 when I bough it.....  must have been a sale as they were just starting to carry them at the time.....  it comes unfinished so I slapped it together and slathered on a coat or two of tung oil in an afternoon.  it's been a rock solid workbench for me.  I'm REALLY happy with it...  top is very flat and it was 1/2 the price of anything else I could get locally.  The vices aren't quite as nice as the lee valley quick release $400 ea units.  but they're plenty nice and work very well for what they are.  I've got zero complaints on it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, It's been tough getting time in the garage lately but I do indeed love when a plan starts to come together.....

Got the headstock inlay sorted... 

IMG_1997.jpg

needs a little bit of fill... but very tight compared to some of my previous attempts...  I've tried about 1000 different techniques of doing inlay and it appears that this is one of those things where experience and skill simply cannot be overlooked no matter what tools you use...

then I got the neck pocket routed to depth....

IMG_2001.jpg

it's actually overly tight...  need to take some material off the sides of the neck I think...  but it's workable for now... 

couldn't help but squeeze the neck in there for a mock up...  booya!!!!

IMG_1999.jpg

The neck is still a little too thick but that wont take long to fix... 

I finally gave up on the 2 bridges I ordered from china...  they're simply not coming....  I got a refund for both through ebay and ordered a hipshot from a USA supplier...  that hit the budget like a mack truck let me tell you... but im familiar with the dimensions and quality so im not super upset.... 

• Like 1

Knightro,

The game plan is, if I build him the coolest Spiderman guitar ever made....  he'll stop wanting to play with my other guitars all the time....  hopefully....

Got some MADD progress this weekend... 

Drilled for the jack, routed for the pickups, did the bevels, couple other misc items....  even ran around Saturday and bought all the little things I was missing like magnets for the cavity covers and finishing stuff....  and maybe some stuff for my super secret top finish....  MWAHAHAHAHAHAH

speaking of the super secret top...  still testing on scrap.... but things are looking promising...  hopefully I can reveal the secret soon.....

Jeeves!!  to the photo's!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender%201.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

Very, very nice!

I plan to do a build for my kid as well. He's currently 6yrs old. Would be nice for his 8th birthday or so.

The theme will be difficult though. Today it's Minions, tomorrow it's Paw Patrol day after it's Cars ..... LOL

looking forward to your finish!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guy's.

My brother and I are actually working on mini amps for all of the kiddies. 

kinda a combination of the old smokey amps + a tone control + a nice little preamp.  hoping to free wire it and then encase it in acrylic resin so you can see the guts....  not 100% sure if it'll work out but gonna get started on the prototype as soon as parts come in.....