Pariahrob's build log

3 hours ago, Pariahrob said:

Ok, I need some feedback please. I'm trying to decide what would be both more comfortable and easier on the eye: a forearm contour or a bevel, as described in my intial drawing.

What do you all think? I'm possibly going to be making this into a regular model.

I like the idea of a bevel, it seems like that would provide you with a platform for interesting finish variations if you made multiples.  I am really digging the contour of the long horn as well.

• Like 1

I guess what people usually call "drop top" is when the body cap (fancy/figured wood usually) is ~several mm thin and flat - as opposed to a "carved top" which is much thicker and thus can be carved. So when doing a forearm contour on a body with a drop top you either have to bend the top over the contour as @Pariahrob is saying, or cut the contour right through is, which can also look pretty cool.

BTW since I'm here - I'd also vote for the bevel, I like how it flows within the design.

18 minutes ago, pan_kara said:

I guess what people usually call "drop top" is when the body cap (fancy/figured wood usually) is ~several mm thin and flat - as opposed to a "carved top" which is much thicker and thus can be carved. So when doing a forearm contour on a body with a drop top you either have to bend the top over the contour as @Pariahrob is saying, or cut the contour right through is, which can also look pretty cool.

BTW since I'm here - I'd also vote for the bevel, I like how it flows within the design.

That is what I thought, and why I was leaning towards the bevel.  I really like the looks of contrasting materials exposed in a cut-away.

Next question then. I have freedom to choose timbers for this. I’m definitely going nappy/wenge/maple for the neck as I love the snap and stiffness. 

For the body I’m going to be using 37mm swamp ash but for the top I’m not sure. I could take the easy route and go fancy maple but this will have an oil and wax finish so something a bit warmer looking might look better. 

Im toying with the idea of olive wood for the fretboard although may end up with a nice black ebony. 

Choices...

well if wenge neck then how about maple (regular, flame, birdseye...) for fretboard? Should give nice contrast and goes against the usual "dark fingerboard - light neck" thing that we're seeing everywhere.

I have a rosewood neck build planned down the road and I thing that's what I'm going to do there

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I'll answer from an more oblique angle; if this is going to become a regular model then consider which is the easiest to replicate reliably. It is an answer from the soulless depths of manufacturing economy I guess. :happy:

The voice of reason! Very good point indeed. 

A wide bevel will look ace across the forearm area! I know I'm super late to the party here. Will the body be laminated vertically? The way that's done on Kiesel and other builds is stunning.

PS. Have you considered getting it laser cut into acrylic? I had it done for one of my builds ages ago; it wasn't actually as expensive as I expected and the templates saved me a lot of pain; I think the massive set was £55 ish, and I recently had a quote for ~£30 for another.

• Like 1

@Stu.I was thinking of having a thin layer of walnut between the swamp ash and maple. Agree that could look ace. 

As for laser cutting I’m ahead of you there. I’ll make the prototype by hand and if it pans out as hoped I’ll get some made. My quote for two body templates and a neck template was £75 on good thick acrylic. Not bad. That included etching working guides like centre lines and fret positions. 

My recommendation is not to use acrylic as your routing template; keep them as your master and marking templates. I copy mine into thick plywood (generally 15mm). I presume that you're mirroring the cut so that the etching appears on the underside? I find this invaluable. Also, using thinner acrylic (6mm in my case) reduces costs significantly. Thicker acrylic doesn't have very straight edges unless the operator swaps out the optics for one with a (if I recall correctly) longer focal length so the energy is delivered more equally through the cut. Shorter optics leave a ridge on the periphery and tend to bellmouth.

You can actually afford to take a lot more out of the upper cavity if you want. The weight relief gained from the extent of hollowing out the upper portion as you currently have it shown will yield surprisingly little difference. Go large or go home, I say ;):P

Also consider that the narrow portion of the hollow inside the treble horn will be really difficult to get the router cutter into without it wanting to get out of control whilst whizzing around inside the wood, as it is almost entirely captive on all sides of the bit as it travels into the cut.

Hey @curtisa Thanks for the input. I would love to take more out of the upper chamber but I'm going to have a fairly big bevel across the top of the body and wanted to minimise the risk of cutting through and leaving a gaping hole!

Totally agree about the horn cutaway though. It's been adjusted since I posted that drawing and now has a little more room to breathe.