Pariahrob's build log

9 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

These look lovely together.  Great job!

Thanks @Andyjr1515 I'm pleased with these two, although my very first build is still my favourite. Probably because I'm a big Nuno Bettencourt fan. Not sure I posted that so here it is just as I was fitting hardware. 

Ive yet to take proper shots of these. Typical as photography is a big part of my job!

IMG_1209.JPG

Ok. A little more progress on the semi (from now on known as the FF). 

Refined the neck carve and volute as well as sorting out the nut slot. I've done a double laminate on the headstock: maple then ebony to try for a nice pale accent stripe, as I'm not binding. 

I need to finish tidying the edges and the trussrod access hole but pretty pleased. Took a bit more work than expected but well worth it. 

Mum trying to decide wether or not to veneer the back of the headstock in the same way. I've seen some done like that and love how they look around the volute but undecided. 

Thoughts?

personally I like seeing the back of the headstock as part of the whole back of the neck, seeing the wood that it's made out of.

also not sure on how the transition would need to be done from the back of the headstock to the neck, but that's a question of trying I guess.

good luck deciding

@10pizza it would have to follow the edge of the volute which is only curved on one axis so not too problematic. I think it might look quite elegant as well, which is why I originally thought about it. 

@Prostheta I should be ok with the grain. It's a shallow neck angle of just 8 degrees but I'll take extra strength if it's there! I agree that it might look great (if I do a good enough job) but would like to mirror the detail elsewhere and not sure what might work best. 

Mum debating a maple veneer as a key line maybe on wooden knobs or under wooden pickup rings. Both will be ebony. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a week away but might not have huge amounts of time this week, as have to animate the brain of an addict. Oh what fun.

I still haven't posted pictures of the Nuno N3 so thought I should, while the kettle boils. Here we go...

Loved building this almost as much as playing it. Pickups are SD hot rodded pair and they suit it perfectly. The Bill & Becky XL500 would have been too shrill for me with the maple fingerboard. They may not as accurate but they sound great.

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 4

Seeing as I'm putting a lot of effort and learning into this build I thought I should treat it to some goodies. 

Just took delivery of these gorgeous grandtune tuners from schaller, with snake wood keys. Couldn't help but test fit even though I stupidly drilled for 10mm pokes and had to dowel and redrill!

Plus I got a precision router base for my dremel, to help me with the inlays. 

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 10pizza said:

nice tuners!

where'd you get that dremel router add-on? I'm interested to get one as well. And what dremel router bits do you use if I may ask?

good luck with the inlays

Thanks!

I got it from eBay but stewmac do them too. I use a variety of mini router bits and etching bits. Depends on the job. 

Cheers. I'll post some photos as I go. 

On 4/17/2017 at 0:35 PM, Pariahrob said:

Back from a week away but might not have huge amounts of time this week, as have to animate the brain of an addict. Oh what fun.

I still haven't posted pictures of the Nuno N3 so thought I should, while the kettle boils. Here we go...

Loved building this almost as much as playing it. Pickups are SD hot rodded pair and they suit it perfectly. The Bill & Becky XL500 would have been too shrill for me with the maple fingerboard. They may not as accurate but they sound great.

4.jpg

3.jpg

nice job on the Stephens extended cut away on this. Did you have an existing guitar to model after or template/plan or did you free hand that? I have been wanting to do a tele with this but just havent gotten to it yet. 

Thanks @Mr NaturalI'm pleased and so is the new owner. I actual got the calipers out and measured my N4 authentic, then made a template. That said The extended section is just a quarter of a 10" radiused circle, stuck onto the side of the neck. I think the curve where it follows the horn makes it look more complex than it really is.

Go for it! Tele style guitars definitely benefit from this kind of neck joint.

Right, now off to joint and glue this top but I do have a question for you all. Should my hole be a more classical based one, or something more contemporary? I could go either way at this point but I'm quite a fan of the eggle wave f hole.

Great work on those! I enjoy the look of the no inlay fretboard personally on your N3, I think it can in some cases add to the overall appearance of a guitar. Kind of utilitarian in a way. Though in my case I'll be going without front inlays, not by design as much as in virtue :lol: still have to finish *one* guitar before I even think about trying it. Some nice inlay though with that top you're using right next to it will look fantastic I'm sure!

• Like 1

Try black Walnut veneer. If you want to darken it, I can show you how to make a good Ferric Acetate mix which turns wood with high tannic acid contents black. That includes Walnut and Oak, plus Mahogany and a few others to a degree.

Dyed black veneer is also an option, however I don't have any direct beads on sources. I think I bought some from David Dyke about a decade ago so YMMV off that recommendation. :D

37 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Perhaps once the YouTube videos have established themselves and the ProjectGuitar.com Patreon support covers it, definitely. I'd be happy to do a field video at David's with his blessing!

Oh interesting. I'm an animator and film maker by trade. I'd happily help out there if it's useful. Be glad to help out and film a tour. Or anything else for that matter. 

Just been asked to do a build for a local guitarist and started collecting bits up. Bookmatched quilt maple top, tulipwood body, maple and wenge three piece neck. Black hardware and either a faded blue burst or natural oil finish. 

Also about to glue the top onto the semi hollow. 

IMG_3088.JPG

• Like 1

I decided I'm fed up of only being able to tinker when in my studio, so, seeing as I have a good spare room that I use mostly for chilling out and sketching storyboards, I'm making it into second workshop. 

Got myself a cheap and cheerful first bench...

IMG_3092.JPG

Next up I'll be building a sanding station and maybe getting a bandsaw in here. 

Edited by Pariahrob
  • Like 1