Pariahrob's build log

A bit more done today. Bevel done bar a little scraping and started the tummy cut. 

Bevel 2

Then I moved on the fix my slippage with the router. Basically trimmed the round hole square and fitted a piece of maple that matched as well as I find. Still needs re-routing but should be almost invisible when done. 

Fixit

I did also finish up my control cavity cover using this oddly figured but if maple, stained the same brown that the body top will be. It’s a little lighter in real life

Control cover

I’ve also started marking out my bridge positions, ready to start routing as I need to recess them to get my action right. This could be tricky as I want them to fit snug in rounded recesses. I think I drill the ends to get the radius then chisel out the rest. The router might be overkill for this!

• Like 2

Zero frets are a personal favourite of mine as you know. They do rely on the strings being spaced equally and reliably beyond the zero though. If the string locks do that, great. I prefer them for the open tone and action provided, plus they mean the nut behind the zero doesn't need the slots to have a perfect depth or falloff. Just spacing.

Friction has never bothered me too much. I've had instruments where strings ping through the nut once in a blue moon, but nothing enormously annoying. Bear in mind that when you bend strings, it'll traverse the zero fret and eventually wear a small ding. The closer the zero fret is to the guiding nut - or in your case the string locks - the smaller this movement will be. I usually place the slot for my zero 3-4mm from the edge of the fingerboard where I place the guide nut. Any more and I think it becomes more of a risk. Additionally, if I have the material to hand I like to use a stainless steel zero fret with a marginally-higher crown height that the rest of the fretwork, and don't fit the zero until I have done any necessary levelling and crowning. I've been tempted to buy some of the more pyramidal profile fretwire however Jescar's #51108 is the closest they get to a pyramid profile and that's too low for most of my applications.

Fret wire has been on my mind this week thanks to @Andyjr1515 :lol:

I'll have a quick look in my shorts tub and see if I have a piece I can help you out with. IIRC, @curtisa sent me a piece of EVO wire all the way from Tas many years back to finish up a job. I'm sure either I or somebody else can help out here. I've got to go get the car heating (-21,6°C this morning) and then go for a meal with Nina but I'll try and remember to do this.

No problem. Right, I've got a stick of 2,8mm x 1.8mm stainless which I used on my last Jescar #57110 fretwork (2,8mm x 1,5mm) build. It might be a little high, but can be recrowned. The rest of my high wire is Dunlop #6150 (too low) and the #57110 I have in is all EVO (and spoken for). If you want this stainless, I can pop some in an envelope....

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

No problem. Right, I've got a stick of 2,8mm x 1.8mm stainless which I used on my last Jescar #57110 fretwork (2,8mm x 1,5mm) build. It might be a little high, but can be recrowned. The rest of my high wire is Dunlop #6150 (too low) and the #57110 I have in is all EVO (and spoken for). If you want this stainless, I can pop some in an envelope....

That would be amazing! Happy to recrown. You are a proper gent! Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I'll have a quick look in my shorts tub and see if I have a piece I can help you out with. IIRC, @curtisa sent me a piece of EVO wire all the way from Tas many years back to finish up a job.

8 hours ago, Pariahrob said:

What a top fella!

Wasn't me that sent fretwire, but I'll take the kind words nonetheless :D

Although it's a shame I didn't jump on this conversation earlier, as I have a nearly full tube of stainless jumbo from Allparts that I'm unlikely to ever use again...

What with the sudden winter and the like I’ve not done much but I did make a start on the neck joint. Routed the pocket using the neck as a guide. Basically lined up with laser, then butted up some acrylic to firm a template. Two layers of tape to reduce the route a bit and all good. 

The flipped her over (she is a she) and cut a recess to make for less material to get your hand round then rounded over the neck of the heel. 

Still needs finishing but you get the idea. 

Heel

Well I have plenty of facial hair for the both of us. 

Ok. More progress. Did some final sanding and scraping then masked off the ash. 

Stain stage 1

Put on a couple of coats of brown stain. This was a water based stain so raised the grain a little. flatted that back before doing a coat of Amber. this has a very subtle fade so the nearer to the neck the more amber there is  barely noticeable but I think it adds something. Photo just after the first brown coat.

Stain stage 1

then the first coat of finishing oil went on  I’ve done another since and plan on doing six for a satin finish.

Oil one

• Like 2

So far today I’ve masked off the pup cavities to paint them. 

Progress

andctest fitted the bridges in case there was too much swelling from the colour application. plus, it’s nice to see some hardware against the final colour. I’m thinking of using wooden control knobs on this. I’ve used them before and found them pretty but slippy, so if I make some I’ll be adding rubber O rings for grip.

Progress

• Like 2