Pariahrob's build log

Not much to share as I’ve been away hosting an event this week. 

However I did return to find my new fret slot miter box had arrived. It’s similar to the one g and w make but with the addition of hold down clamps for the board. 

Let me know if you’re interested in a review and I’ll make some. Let’s as I put it through it’s paces. 

Fretjig

• Like 1

Let's do it. I'd be interested to know how the sidewalls hold up over time with those clamps taking out a big bite. It feels like the sides could twist if you whale down on those clamps too much. I do love the wide base on the G&W box, however I do wish that it had clamps.

Ok. Small progress. Cut the fret slots using the new jig. It’s a solidly built piece of gear and works well. Very nicely machined and fits together well. I’ve mounted mine to some mdf so I can clamp it to my desk. 

Ill write a proper review at some point but for now I thought I’d share that it works and works well. It’s not quite perfect but is pretty close. I don’t use templates but this works with stew Mac ones. 

The clamps are brilliant and work well and I’m so glad I opted for this version.

Frets lot and glue

Anyway slots are cut so moved on the glue the board to the neck. I used a couple of small nails to stop it slipping on glue up the clamped up with a couple of cauls to spread the pressure. 

Frets lot and glue

I’m getting there slowly! Next up trim the board, radius and fret, then carve the neck, before writing it all up and plugging in to my new helix!

• Like 1

Happy to give my opinion of it. I went for the rack version for recording and have it loaded up with some great IRs already. Only had it a couple of days but already know it’s a remarkable piece of gear. Veryvtouch redponsive and ‘playable’.

ive a few tube amps, bought and built, and I have a feeling they might get a lot less love.

Short day in the studio and had to focus on some animation work but did get a little time on the Llyr. 

Ivectrimmed the fingerboard tobthe neck and started shaping the part that lies behind the zero fret. I’m basically copying the shape of the end of the head but exposing the three piece neck. This is purely aesthetic. The main section of ebony there needs to be lowered so theres suitable break angle between the zero fret and locking nuts. Not quite sure if I’ll curve this like a Strat or do a straight drop the nuts can butt up against. 

HeD

Small update. More oil costs done. I’m planning two more to get to the final sheen I’m after. 

You can see the finish front and back in these shots along with my output jack. 

You can see my cavity cover too which is made from an oddly figured piece of maple stained the same mix as the top. The hole is for the usb charging socket. 

StainingStaining

@curtisanot quite. It’s actually rear mounted just behind the bridge, facing toward the bottom edge. Took a bit of testing to get the best spot. That position also makes it easy to get the ground wire to the bridge. 

Speaking of which here’s a short video of the bridges going on. I’m doing a little testing for a magazine and took the chance to combine two tasks. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right then. I'm back! I only went mountain climbing but fell down the stairs!

All good now and damage mostly healed.

I've not been up to much in the way of building until the last day or two. All I've done is finish a raycaster Strat build for a client, in the same sea foam and wenge as the one shown here, although with a hotter bridge pickup.

Thursday I'll be mostly working on the Llyr. Plans are to get the frets in, crowned, polished etc and hopefully start carving the neck.

Good to be back in the saddle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well my update is more disaster. Not really but I had to go to Germany for a bit and caught some dodgy stomach bug that knocked me out for a bit. Got home and then my 4 year old daughter passed of some hideous bug that has been kicking me in the immune system for a while. 

On the mend now so so if you’ve messaged me and I’ve not replied I apologise and will be back on it soon. 

As for building not much movement. I tried to start carving the headless neck but stopped when I realised I was too ill to do it properly. I’ve a tele I’m building for a client that is on hold. Same thing with a strat. 

Monday I’ll get back on the horse. Until it throws my off into a pit of bubonic flu or galloping knob rot. 

• 1 month later...