Pariahrob's build log

I'm a fan too! Just picked up a goldtop les paul with p90s and it sounds plain rude. Absolutely love it. 

In in other news my jazz style bass has been reworked and will be on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury tomorrow and then in a special set for the BBC at 7pm if you're interested in seeing and hearing it. 

Not sure if I posted pics already (and too lazy to search my thread) so here it is in all it's glory. 

IMG_0157.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Just caught up with the Glastonbury shot.  Just how cool and gratifying is that!!!!!!

Well done and well deserved :)

Thanks so much Andy. Was amazing feeling to see. The feedback from the artist was amazing too. 

Tomorrow im meeting Cerys Matthews bassist to talk about building him one!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pariahrob said:

Thanks so much Andy. Was amazing feeling to see. The feedback from the artist was amazing too. 

Tomorrow im meeting Cerys Matthews bassist to talk about building him one!!!!!!!!!

OK - now that's VERY cool!

Thanks everyone! I've not been able to either do much building or get online the last couple of weeks but really appreciate the support.  

Superstrat build is is progressing very slowly. Fingerboard is slotted and glued on. I might even trim andcradius it today. If so photos will follow. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all. Well the last couple of months completely got away from me. I got another Harrier built for a client but have mostly been travelling with my day job. 

But im back now and the superstrat is well under way again. It’s also changed a little. Final plans are:

tulipwood body with splayed maple cap

maple/wenge/maple neck

reverse headstock. 10 degree angle with volute and a maple/ebony veneer. 

22 jumbo frets. Jescar wire. Brass eye 12th marker. 

Either a slight brown burst or ‘dip! With hand burnished nitro clear finish in satin. 

All black hardware. Hipshot and locking tuners

bill lawrence l500xl and volume only. 

Set neck (biggest change) with wide  and low profile. Not too flat like a jem but enough for comfortable playing. 

So so that’s my spec. To follow are some progress shots...

Wow! I got the email notifier and saw Scott's comment about Maple/Wengé and figured it would be quarter-inch type laminates....not that monster! It'll have a nice defined bottom end to it, that's for sure. It's great for clarifying the muddiness of woods like Mahoganies/African "Mahoganies" and adding more balance to Maple. I'm sure that's going to sound great right off the bat.

Thanks all. Good to be back in the saddle!

I love the width of the wenge. It's not the most suitable material for thin strips. It's properties for tone wouldn't show much and it's hard on tools. I think this slab will work well. I like how dense it is. Good balance with the maple plus it looks cool!

@Zoltar I really like working with tulipwood. Some blanks can be a bit green and soft. If you get one like that a gentle baking can work well. If you get a thoroughly dried one it's really good. Machines very well, is lightweight and sounds well balanced.

• 1 month later...

Client for the superstrat has run into cash flow problems, so it’s sitting waiting right now. 

I’ve just started a new build for myself however. Essentially a Strat but with a few modern elements. Wenge neck with a wide flat D, Ebony fretboard. Staggered locking Gotoh tuners and tusq xl nut. Duncan ssl set with a hot bridge. Wilkinson term with big stainless block and bent stainless saddles. 

I know now it’ll look like a Nick Johnston Schecter but going for sea foam green and off white plastic. 

Some work in progress...