Pariahrob's build log

PolyX is designed as a floor finish, and we're actually using it contrary to the instructions. I think we are anyway. I can't recall having read them for over a year. :lol:

Wiping on, letting it penetrate the surface a little then wiping straight off doesn't allow the buildup the product is designed to develop. I recall that the building coats are meant to be applied with a fine (such as mohair) roller so this isn't much of an option for us! We use several litres of the satin PolyX at work every month on tabletops and the like, however we also go for more of the light sealing wipe on/wipe off application method than for a discrete hard layer.

Good advice on the satin application, Andy. It's very much like Tru-Oil in the slurry filling aspect, however you're right about it being possible to lightly compound the final finish to a different sheen. Better than using matte since it will provide more protection I think. We spend a lot of time buffing out the initial application rather than inviting a longer cure and treatment time. Fine for furniture, but guitars definitely benefit from a finer schedule.

40 minutes ago, Pariahrob said:

And that is why this forum is so good! Thanks @Andyjr1515 that’s a great post. Saved me some experimentation and possible false starts. 

I may still try this method on spare piece but sounds like it could be a winner. The pores in wenge are pretty substantial so a slurry based approach might be best. 

Hi, Rob

In the UK, Wood Finishes Direct sell the complete range in 125ml tins making it pretty cheap to experiment (125ml is more than enough). :)

There was a time when this was only available in large quantities.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:09 PM, Andyjr1515 said:

Hi, Rob

In the UK, Wood Finishes Direct sell the complete range in 125ml tins making it pretty cheap to experiment (125ml is more than enough). :)

There was a time when this was only available in large quantities.

Yes, we buy it in the 2,5l pails at work. Those last us 2-3 months. Occasionally we'll mix it with the standard pigmented Osmo waxes for effect. I made my son a board-topped dining table as a gift, and tinted PolyX #3074 ("Graphite" in the English version, "Harmaa" or "grey" in the Finnish version....) was pretty fantastic.

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/osmo-colour-foundation

Interesting, they stock the 5ml sample sachets including gold and silver metallic effect....plain PolyX is also available in 5ml....

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/osmo-polyx-oil

• Like 1

Little progress made. Finished shaping the neck. This thing is so smooth and the wenge isn’t even finished. Just sanded up to 600 at this point. 

Even though I’ve had great input from you guys I’m still tempted to do a simple wax seal. 

Neck almost done

Here’s the body. Test fitted the trem and building up the pickguard. Seymour Duncan ssl set. 

Next up inlay and fretting!

Duncan ssl1

• Like 1

I now have the neck finished. Frets are in and sorted. I went for nibbledctangs and filled slots for this. 

Rennaisance waxed the neck and very pleased with the results after some rubbing in. 

Neck is also on! Now just need to wire it all up and do a final setup. 

Almost there!Almost there!

The colours don’t look right in these phone pics. A bit more teal in real life. 

Colours are off

• Like 1

Wengé is a unique wood, that's for sure. The end caps for the handle on my leg vise are Wengé, and for fun I decided to see how far I could polish them with pads and compound whilst they were still on the lathe. The surface developed a really coarse texture as the earlywood abraded faster than the latewood in the flat faces, without any roughness. Really nice and tactile like old weathered black Oak. It's great in necks when paired with "slow and warm" woods such as Mahogany.

I'd like to hear what your opinions are of how it works in this combination. Single coils and Wengé sound like an excellent pairing.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, Prostheta said:

Wengé is a unique wood, that's for sure. The end caps for the handle on my leg vise are Wengé, and for fun I decided to see how far I could polish them with pads and compound whilst they were still on the lathe. The surface developed a really coarse texture as the earlywood abraded faster than the latewood in the flat faces, without any roughness. Really nice and tactile like old weathered black Oak. It's great in necks when paired with "slow and warm" woods such as Mahogany.

I'd like to hear what your opinions are of how it works in this combination. Single coils and Wengé sound like an excellent pairing.

I really hope so! Just wiring it up at the moment, then final polishing and setup. Also, here's a little throwback to the walnut topped strat from last year. I never posted final images and it just came in for a setup...

Mara_web.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Wow, you don't see things like that off the shelf. Love that 12th fret inlay too! haha

Thanks! I think the abalone dot pulls it all together. The center stripe could’ve looked odd without it. 

I’ll be posting the wenge necked Strat in a couple of days. Very very happy and not finished yet! Might have to enter that in gotm. 

It wasn't too bad this time Stu. I've certainly had worse. The ones I did get were right little f&$%^@s though.

Well, this build is now done! I don't think I posted the wiring yet but I like it reasonably neat and with old school cloth wire for this. Anyway, here's the finished beast. Has some proper spanky strat sounds. Very glassy but the bridge pickup is a little hotter. Nothing crazy but drives tubes nicely.

RAYCASTER_web.jpg

• Like 1

HI all. 

Now that the raycaster is done I'm on to the next build. This one is a little different (for me at least) as the guy wants something that is a cross between a headless prog machine and something a bit more traditional. I've worked up a few rough sketches and this initial drawing is based on the client's preferred option. Still needs some refining and a lot of detail but thought I'd get sharing early on. I'm trying to get himn to go for slightly more start like horns but we will see. I didn't think I'd like the thigh cut out but it's growing on me.

Will be a three layered body: A main chambered alder, a fancy top (as yet to be decided) and a dark laminate for a pinstripe. No more details for now but will share as soon as I'm told!

erg1.JPG

10 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

If you like the design, then there's no reason that you can't imply that deep scoop purely in the carve itself. The pinstripe will provide a visual guide, whilst the back wood can stay neatly behind that.

That could look really good. I like that it could reflect the forearm bevel too. Thanks!

Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes is all it takes. 

Now to decide if this thing will be headless or not. That decision has been left to me and I can’t decide.