Is Cody in this log? Carving my dog Cody from an ash log.

ScottR

I have a little dog named Cody. Early in his life, when he was just a pup, so to speak he looked like this.

IMG_1077_zps1s7iak12.jpg

For nearly as long, I've had an ash log drying in the garage. As Cody got older his color started looking more and more like the ash log. And for some time now that log has been telling me I need to find Cody in there and set him free.

IMG_2907_zpsoxbw5h1c.jpg

The thing is Cody no longer looks like that scruffy little puppy. He looks more like a cross between a tiny haystack and an unsheared mountain sheep.

IMG_2950_zpspqbzl0wp.jpg

So the Cody I find in the log might just be more inspired by my little dog than what he looks like just now. He may still have some of the attributes of puppy Cody. Or he may not. We'll just have to see when I get him out of the log.

SR

3 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

too cool. Cant wait to see this Scott.

in the pic of the log (between the two dog shots, prior to carving)- is that log really that orange- or is it a trick of light or maybe wax? I dont think I have seen ash that color- even old lumber

I wondered if that would get noticed. I sealed the ends of that log with several coats of shellac when I first got it.

SR

• 2 weeks later...

Last night as I was getting ready to post, the subject of this carving interrupted me. He tried to jump into a chair, missed bounced off his chest, and landed on his back. Cried a bit and couldn't use his left hind leg. We thought he may have knocked his hip out of socket and took him to the emergency vet. The vet said he was afraid the problem was in his back. He thought Cody may have a ruptured disk. He wanted to take xrays and keep him over night after giving him pain medication. They were having a busy night and we had been there hours and I said give him the pain medication and by the time he wakes up I'll be able to take him to our vet, who is just around the corner and whom we have known for years. Cody tried to walk this morning and did so to a limited degree--much better than last night. Our vet does not think he has a ruptured disk, but does have strained or sprained muscles in his back. Cody is walking better than this morning, albeit, still looks somewhat like a drunken sailor.

Here's to hoping he keeps improving.:huh:

So the first roughing in stage appears to be completed... or close enough.

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2969.JPGIMG_2970.JPGIMG_2971.JPG

SR

• Like 1

I refined the clay sculpture enough to get a next stage target.

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2982.JPGIMG_2983.JPG

And that's where we are now. It feels a bit strange now with Cody hurting...but hopefully he will recover completely and so will this. He seem to be quite cheerful about the whole thing, so I think the little doggie in the ash ought to be as well.

SR

11 hours ago, Tim37 said:

I hope Cody gets better quick.  

Isn't it amazing how attached you become to your dog.

Thanks. He wants to do everything he could a couple of days ago...and we've got to stop him at least until he's actually able to again.

It is crazy how attached to you become to your dog. Or maybe not. They give you unconditional love with no nagging or bitching and only want a little food and attention in return. Maybe it's crazier how attached to us they become.

Every time the subject comes up I'm reminded of the story of how to tell who is truly a man's best friend - his dog or his wife. it seems the test is to lock each of them in the trunk of your car.:blink: Come back in an hour and unlock the trunk. Which one is happy to see you?:D

SR

32 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

second that- hope the little feller mends quickly. scary when they are hurt and cant tell you whats going on. 

Did you take art or sculpting in school? or just self taught?

Thanks, and sooo true.

I did in fact graduate with a degree in commercial art. No sculpting to speak of though. I actually first noticed what cool things wood grain does whilst shopping for a table and chairs at a place called the Unvarnished Truth many years ago. I noticed that some types of wood were cut at angles and curves through the grain and very cool patterns emerged. Quite different from quarter-sawn or flat sawn grain. I began to wonder what all kinds of trees looked like on the inside. So I started whittling and then sanding the shapes smooth, smoother, and ultimately polished. That started out being just free form shapes. After a while, I decided I ought to see if I could make those shapes into something recognizable. That worked out ok....well enough that eventually a musician friend was impressed enough (some people are easily impressed) to suggest that I really should try carving a guitar. I thought what a cool idea! I studied a few books--including Hiscock's- for about a year and gave it a shot.

SR

Ash Cody got a pretty good amount of carving this weekend....which I hope to post tomorrow evening. Cody Bear....yes that's what we call him--has gotten progressively--gradually--better every day. He's gone from super wobbly and occasionally falling down to maybe 80% normal. he still has an occasional stagger, and he still has a hunch in his back, but that also is gradually disappearing. He has about a week left of medication, after which we may  let him attempt stairs and hopping down from laps and the like. It is good to see my old dog returning.

SR