First full guitar build.

Hi all.

This is going to be my first full guitar build. I have carved out a couple of guitar bodies, glued in a few necks and have had a bit of experience using power tools (routers, belt sanders etc.). Nothing too serious... so I've decided to go for it and build a full guitar from scratch.

I'm absolutely certain I will make many mistakes along the way, but I guess that is the best way to learn!

I sketched up a guitar using Inscape (see attached), The body is based on a Schecter Tempest and I'm going for a Gibson scale length and most likely with a bolt on neck (angled headstock). Some things may change as I go along!!! :rolleyes:

The body is going to be a two piece poplar (not sure on the finish yet). Not sure on the neck wood yet either, I've never carved a guitar neck so any advice on the best wood to try out first would be appreciated. How hard can it be!!! :blush

So I'm using this thread to document my progress and many, many, many mistakes. Wish me luck!

JT

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 19.22.38.png

Welcome Mateyboy!

A poplar body is going to be fairly light so a good neck choice would be mahogany or maple. Walnut and cherry would work well too. You'd be amazed at how many varieties of wood have been used successfully for necks...for the whole guitar actually.

If you've already carved a couple of bodies, you will likely find carving a neck to be very enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to watching your build...and since you asked-

Good Luck!

SR

• Like 1

Hi Scott

Thanks for the neck advice, first thoughts are I might go for maple, it's easily available, fairly cheap and I like the light colour. I thnk im going to stain the body a deep cherry colour, provided the wood stays in one piece, any chunks lost and I'll revert to a solid colour! ?

I have a few 'commercial' guitars and I prefer the lighter ones (I have both Gibson SG and LP, for me the SG wins hands down, mainly because of the neck heel and the weight differences) so poplar might work out well.

First step... Plywood templates, I've almost done the body. I'll probably sand it down and then rout a master from this so the sides are nice and square... At least that's the theory! ?

JT

image.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mateyboy said:

I'll probably sand it down and then rout a master from this so the sides are nice and square... At least that's the theory! ?

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Looking good so far. Are you planning to leave the body flat or do a bit of carving?

Welcome and good luck!

3 hours ago, Norris said:

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Looking good so far. Are you planning to leave the body flat or do a bit of carving?

Welcome and good luck!

Hi Norris

I still haven't decided on every element of the body yet. I think I'll do some carving (won't be a simple round-over bit on the edge), although it is likely that the majority of the body will be flat.

Thanks

JT

First mistake! :angry: I shouldn't have put the neck cavity in the main body template - it crumbled to bits as soon as I started to rout it. :blush 

I finally have a body template I'm happy with. 12mm MDF. I deliberately left the bridge position off it, I'll measure that more accurately when the neck is in position, I think that's good logic! :rolleyes:

IMG_0790.JPG.d7e39940d83a91580cc7d9d033d27eca.JPG

It's slow work at the moment as I am waiting for a workshop/shed delivery, I'm relying on decent weather to work outside, and there isn't much of that up here in Cumbria (UK).

11 hours ago, Mateyboy said:

First mistake! :angry: I shouldn't have put the neck cavity in the main body template - it crumbled to bits as soon as I started to rout it. :blush 

I finally have a body template I'm happy with. 12mm MDF. I deliberately left the bridge position off it, I'll measure that more accurately when the neck is in position, I think that's good logic! :rolleyes:

You can actually dispense with creating a dedicated template for the neck pocket altogether if you want. This is how I usually do it. By making a temporary template to accommodate the neck, you're not limited to having just one template that can only do one thing. Also makes micro-adjustments of angles and positions on the body possible.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, curtisa said:

You can actually dispense with creating a dedicated template for the neck pocket altogether if you want. This is how I usually do it. By making a temporary template to accommodate the neck, you're not limited to having just one template that can only do one thing. Also makes micro-adjustments of angles and positions on the body possible.

I like this method. I've done it on a previous body - makes sense really. :thumb:

Agree completely. That's way more accurate than using fixed templates. Another trick is to stick a layer of masking tape to the inner borders of the wood you use as your temporary template. That will ensure a slightly snugger fitting neck that you fettle to get perfect. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pariahrob said:

Agree completely. That's way more accurate than using fixed templates. Another trick is to stick a layer of masking tape to the inner borders of the wood you use as your temporary template. That will ensure a slightly snugger fitting neck that you fettle to get perfect. 

I like that idea also! So simple yet never even crossed my mind. Thanks!!! :thumb:

17 hours ago, Pariahrob said:

Funnily enough I used that technique to give myself an extra bit of wriggle room on my rear access cover. Because I was binding the recess I didn't want it to be too tight, especially after I have lacquered

• Like 1

OK, so I finally got chance to cut the body with the bandsaw.

IMG_0813.JPG.ad429b00e1137c0ae046e5916901b17e.JPG

Hopefully I will get to rout the body this afternoon, all is looking good with the template.

IMG_0812.JPG.78c8bf898f953de8e86f77c228ef6d93.JPG

I also started making a neck template. The headstock was inspired by my owned guitars; Gibson (LP/SG) and BC Rich (Beast). It's a little plain but I've never made a neck before so I wanted something simple.

IMG_0814.JPG.6ac303481714e7e5e8772b81bc2fcbb4.JPG

Might have a routed body later today. :hyper

Edited by Mateyboy
Spelling mistake!

That looks a nice chunk of wood :).  

You are right to leave the fixing of the bridge position until a lot later - a lot can change between the initial plan and multiple bits of wood, metal and plastic being in their various positions!

Although I mark the intended position early on to make sure I have a datum for length, perpendicularity and straightness, it's one of the last things I actually drill holes for and fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That looks a nice chunk of wood :).  

You are right to leave the fixing of the bridge position until a lot later - a lot can change between the initial plan and multiple bits of wood, metal and plastic being in their various positions!

Although I mark the intended position early on to make sure I have a datum for length, perpendicularity and straightness, it's one of the last things I actually drill holes for and fit.

Hi Andy

I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it. The top side looks ok but because it is poplar theres quite a lot of green bits that I don't like. I am toying with the idea that I might use a water based stain for the top and burst it to a black nitro finish on the back and sides. I assume that the water based stain and the nitro will be ok together? :unsure:

I managed to rout the body this morning; although I've only made shallow guide cavities for the pickups.

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.dc269d51740f6c08749a86c3b8614a40.JPG

I think I'll drill the pot holes later and I'll carve in a belly contour during the week, this is my 'plan'; on the back of the body of course:

58c53e88ae0c8_ScreenShot2017-03-12at12_20_52.png.d24b13b6ccfe20ee5121c102c0f5015c.png

On 3/12/2017 at 7:27 AM, Mateyboy said:

I assume that the water based stain and the nitro will be ok together? :unsure:

Water based dyes get used under nitro all the time; stains should present no problems either. You can cross that one off your list of things to worry about.:)

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just a small update, I haven't had much time to work on the guitar as I've been building a wooden workshop to do the work in!

I've carved a belly contour (a first for me) and I've started routing the electronics cavity on the back.

image.jpeg.619ed9e02854af438228aac8134cb9b6.jpeg

I'm hoping to get the rough body shape finished this weekend (excluding the neck pocket and bridge position) and probably get started on the maple wood neck. :hyper

Im also starting work on some decking in the garden so time will tell how much time I can devote to the axe! ? ?

JT

I made my second mistake today (almost a disaster!) :blush; I was routing the cavity on the rear of the body for the pots and switch and I got a bit of tearout which ripped through and left little pin sized hole in the front of the body. I sanded some dust from an off cut of poplar and filled the tearout with it and some super glue. Don't think it's noticeable now:

IMG_0891.JPG.69b070a533d3f92426a899a4812fd212.JPG

The cavity is now complete and I have drilled all of the wiring channels, just the neck and bridge position left on the body.

IMG_0890.JPG.e28fef9386c5f6402168bf86c7eb5452.JPG

I also bought an ebony fretboard on eBay which is pre-slotted. I haven't got the equipment at the moment to cut my own fret slots. Is this cheating? :blush I will radius it myself, fret it and cut it.

IMG_0892.JPG.2937c02c598fcb9f5409aa4c6d4fc0ac.JPG

It's slow work at the moment as my wife likes to keep me busy with other jobs and I don't have permanent electric in the workshop just yet.

JT

Edited by Mateyboy
Spelling mistake!

19 hours ago, Prostheta said:

In some ways, being reined in from going all hell on a build is a good thing. For one, you're forced to consider your next steps and have plenty of time to refine your plan. I do that a lot. Oddly enough, whilst doing other woodwork.

Yeah, I make most of my mistakes when I have a crazy idea and dive on in! Talking of mistakes... mistake number three happened today! :lol:

I decided to cut the neck scarf joint using a pull saw (I don't have a table saw and my band saw only cuts up to around 85mm and the wood is 100mm). It would have been better using a panel saw! It looks like I cut it with a knife and fork!

For my next build, if I get there, I will cut the maple wood down to a width that my band saw can handle.

IMG_0904.JPG.948db1709824fddc97b04944605c35bb.JPG

I think I managed to save it with my router jig:

IMG_0900.JPG.a37b4e4e083917a66d966122f1e5f230.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG.dbcad462b7ac3a49760114944d32be35.JPG

I still need to sand it before I cut the headstock to size and glue and clamp it properly but I'm fairly pleased with the result so far. Another first for me so I'm happy! :thumb:

IMG_0905.JPG.47ed556515281083818a8db26176e479.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG.957f3fee250a78216c70a3f51fb0eac2.JPG

• Like 1