First full guitar build.

Made some progress on the neck this evening. Cut it roughly with the bandsaw, I was going to channel the truss rod first but I didn't because

1) I don't have the correct router bit (yet), and

2) The side of the maple wasn't square so it makes no odds.

I've marked the centre line and the next step is to make some jigs so I can shape it nicely. This is the first time I've attempted to make a neck so there may be an untold error in there yet! :unsure:

IMG_0933.JPG.2543396cb1a2b356285e5e88c36eaf2c.JPG

58dabaa61b63f_FullSizeRender3.jpg.5d62141bb7c05657e215a89953016f36.jpg

I just had to lay it out on the body to see what it might look like... :hyper

58dabaa8a3248_FullSizeRender2.jpg.004507e3d53ed2ff25bf190c9308d4cf.jpg

That's it for now.

JT

• Like 1

Routed the truss rod channel, not perfect (hey it's my first attempt!) I made a has of the headstock part. I'm hoping I can tidy that up a bit. Worst case it is covered by the truss rod cover. :unsure:

IMG_0941.JPG.2bc822e8dc2960d79bf6b1dc97d5c92b.JPG

So here it is... my first ever truss rod channel... :lol:

I'll finish it with a chisel tomorrow.

IMG_0940.JPG.154861e45ce91974958f0bff660acb6e.JPG

Hi

Done a little bit of work on guitar. I routed the neck pocket and I am pretty pleased with that

IMG_0997.JPG.c017fbb23533f24ce3a28ed79df2ce1d.JPG

I also started shaping the neck using a rasp, a fie and some sand paper. All I can say is this is a time consuming job, another first and very rewarding:

IMG_1003.JPG.518a70b1cf6a967e860e58632a10d2f9.JPG

I've already made many mistakes on the neck but I believe how well I recover is how I will learn from my mistakes.

• Like 3

I'm getting near the end of shaping the neck:

IMG_1010.JPG.e4ee44bbbf37ae5e9e8eb49cab63cdfb.JPG

It's my first attempt and it's been hard work! There's a few areas where I need to put a bit more into as the transitions between the neck, the heel and the headstock aren't too great. I guess it's simply practice that will make them look better. (Somebody please tell me I'm not deluded!) :unsure:

I'm happy that I've managed to shape my first neck but I'm not happy with the transitions, it looks amateurish (yeah I know I'm a hobbyist/amateur)!

I also have a question for anybody that would like to answer it. :)

I bought a piece of ebony fibreboard to veneer the headstock. It's really bumpy, I cut off a piece to test and sanded it down (320 grit) but it looks grey and to be frank a load of crap. Do I need to clean it up with acetone? Will it come good? Or have I bought something not worth using (it only cost £5)? Any advice would be good. Thanks.

Next jobs... Finish shaping the neck and attach the fretboard.

Fibreboard goes black under a clearcoat. Acetone might be too strong a solvent for cleaning; simple alcohol is likely best if the greyness is caused by dust or whatever.

Whether it "looks amateurish" or not is unimportant. You're taking a lot from the build which you can carry forward. That's where it matters. I don't think that many people without skills in this field nailed anything first time. If it doesn't feel or look right, it probably isn't. Be self-critical in that area and you'll rattle out most of your issues.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Fibreboard goes black under a clearcoat. Acetone might be too strong a solvent for cleaning; simple alcohol is likely best if the greyness is caused by dust or whatever.

I'll try that on the scrap piece this morning. I'll probably clear coat the scrap too and see how it comes out.

10 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Whether it "looks amateurish" or not is unimportant. You're taking a lot from the build which you can carry forward. That's where it matters. I don't think that many people without skills in this field nailed anything first time. If it doesn't feel or look right, it probably isn't. Be self-critical in that area and you'll rattle out most of your issues.

Thanks for this. When you are immersed in something it's easy to lose some clarity. I've taken a closer look at the bits I don't like this morning and I reckon they can be fixed.

I already have some ideas on what I can do during the next build to avoid similar errors on this build.

I looked back at one of the first necks I made, which was for a Tele project. It was funny because it was almost like a neck made by somebody who'd never seen a guitar before, or only read about one in books. The profile was way off, the neck-heel transition ridiculous. Nonetheless, I can see how missing the mark taught me what worked and what didn't, and most importantly gave me a feel for forming the material. A finished guitar can be somewhat of a static form which to the inexperienced eyes and hands doesn't telegraph how it got there from being a tree in the first place. "Make it like that" isn't an obvious process or a realistic target-defining objective, so even if you have a Tele neck to "copy" from, it's not always that apparent how to shoot for the bullseye, but most will get more or less in the region.

I do think that this build will both produce a playable instrument and also that vital education in seeing a better path from start to finish for subsequent builds. I guess this won't be your first, right? It certainly shouldn't be! Keep chipping away (not literally).

3 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I do think that this build will produce a playable instrument, but provide that vital education in seeing a better path from start to finish for subsequent builds. I guess this won't be your first, right? It certainly shouldn't be! Keep chipping away (not literally).

Thanks.

It is my first, but it won't be my last. I'm making a point of not starting anything else until this is finished. :thumb:

38 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Fair call. I wouldn't call this a burner build by any means, however I'm sure that you already know what experiences you can take forward from it. Doing anything on this over the weekend?

Yeah, the neck has been a first for me so I have many, many things I will do differently next time (I'm not sure what burner build means :unsure:). For example, I will attach the fretboard before I start profiling the neck; not doing that made attaching the fretboard a pain in the backside!

I've done a bit on the build today but no photos yet. I attached the fretboard which is curing now. I also drilled a few holes in the body. The body is almost ready to start sanding down.

For a first attempt I'm pretty happy with the neck but I know for sure that when this build is complete I will start on something else and I can't wait to get stuck into a new neck blank! :hyper

Burner, same as "burner phone". Used for its purpose and then discarded. That said, we have had many members who have had penchants for burning entire guitars for reasons that most would find...."surprising"....

Sanding time! Good for dry skin and sneezing.

So yesterday I attached the fretboard to the neck - still plenty of work to do there before I start thinking about radiusing it:

IMG_1015.JPG.89b1dcd6e69921a005e10259d4dbde19.JPG

And... because I get excited far too easily I just had to do a test fit to see what it looked like:

IMG_1017.JPG.37e20f8c01fe486e89fcc2606f08107e.JPG

Not sure why I placed it in the garden against a brick wall! <_<

Not sure how much time I'll get to spend on it today.

JT

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScottR said:

It's been done in just about every order conceivable, but I suspect you are going to wish you radiused and fretted before you attached the neck.

SR

Err, yep! There's lots of things I wish I had done in a different order but I guess that's how I will learn for the next build. I was pondering over this and thinking 'there's no way anybody else would make a neck in this order'. The crazy thing is I've done loads of research, read books, watched videos etc. and STILL went about it my own way! :blush

I can of course detach the neck, but I wish I had radiused the fretboard before I had shaped the neck because it's a nightmare to clamp etc. and I guess it may not be a perfect radius when I'm done.

So the next neck will be something like this:

1) Cut the scarf joint and attach.

2) Shape/rout but not profile.

3) Attach and rout fretboard (after it has been slotted of course) - even thinking of binding the next one!

4) Profile the neck.

5) Some other stuff I haven't done yet - inlays, nut, etc. So the above might change! :D

I'm still having fun so that's all that counts at this stage!