i got wood! (her her, sounds norty, her)

hello,

i found a nice lump of wood that is almost 45mm thick, about 2 and half foot across by about four foot. i dont know what type it is, it has a blocky look to it as though lengths have been glued together. i dont know what kind of wood it is, is there a good site that explains how to find this out?

i want to make a murph copy, this is an old guitar from the 60's. i like that particular look. 

now that i have the wood, which i hope to make a body and neck from, where do i go. what preparation should i make. i was thinking about getting a planer to flatten any edges and try to flatten the length of it. i have a few straight edges and not yet checked the flatness of it. i think that i could get about three bodies, at least two and the necks from this wood. i have a circular saw and router but no bits.

also, people talk about ripping, does this mean cutting or what?

i dont really have a plan of what i want, i was thinking about getting a jag template and drawing that on with some alteration.

but more importantly, what preparation does the wood require before any cutting takes place. the wood was outside for a while and i think maybe the rain got to it. it is in my room which is warm and dry. 

any advice would be great.

thanks

On 3/5/2017 at 7:55 AM, simon1138 said:

i found a nice lump of wood that is almost 45mm thick, about 2 and half foot across by about four foot. i dont know what type it is, it has a blocky look to it as though lengths have been glued together.

Sounds like finger-jointed counter top material. Got any pics?

i think that i could get about three bodies, at least two and the necks from this wood.

If this wood is what I think it is, then bodies - yes. Necks - probably not. I doubt there's enough inherent strength in finger-jointed timber to survive the tensions exerted by the strings., but making a body is a possibility if you're not botherd by the appearance of the wood or are willing to paint it a solid colour.. I think it has been done on Projectguitar.com before, and Brian May hasn't had any issues with his Red Special being made from blockboard.

also, people talk about ripping, does this mean cutting or what?

Cutting the timber along the direction of the wood grain, like ripping a sheet of paper into several long strips.

the wood was outside for a while and i think maybe the rain got to it

Then approach with caution. Water damage may be superficial (stains, grey patches, water marks), or structural (rot, splitting, warping). Cut a piece up and see how it looks. See if it feels spongy. Tap it and see if it sounds solid or dull.

@Simon1138,

First, I want to say welcome to the site.

Now, I would like to say to you and I mean this with no disparity. Based on your terminology in regards to wood and wood working as a whole, you appear to have  little to no experience in wood working?,

Where you are located would be a good start for the members here to help. That being said, depending on your location there are many resources that can be of local assistance to help you gain the knowledge needed to move forward and be safe with this endeavor.

Also pictures of what you are referencing in your post will be of a great assistance for the members here to assess and give advice.

I hope your journey to build a guitar is a successful one. Many members are here to help you grow from your experience here, but we do need you to meet us  at least halfway. :)

Sincerely,

Mike

• Like 1

hello all,

thanks for the response.

after a google search, yes it is  finger-jointed counter top. i have attached a picture of what i have. it is 2 foot by 3 feet 9 inches and two inches thick. 

i live in portsmouth and have looked for a course in wood working, the closest college i can find is about 30 miles that do furniture and wood working courses. though i am on a budget. i managed to get some tools, router for £10 off ebay, circular saw £5 and thinking about a planer. i have had a go with the circular saw, which was kind of a scary experience. i want to build some kind of work bench from some mdf that i have. 

from the wood i have i want to build a copy of a murph guitar from the 60s, the one on the left. it will have a sunburst finish. or basically, i will spray the center red and the outside black. i think the body is a little smaller than the jazzmaster, so starting with a jazzmaster sketch and work from there. 

FHD0001.JPG

murph 2.jpg