Guitar Of The Month - May 2017

Welcome to the Guitar Of The Month contest for May 2017!

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites. The contest is open entry for any and all members, new or old. Winner(s) receive a featured article at the head of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, a photo posting to our Facebook and elevated member status. ProjectGuitar.com receives tens of thousands of unique visitors monthly; Guitar Of The Month is a great way to showcase your creation to the world!

Submissions are open throughout the month with public voting open in the last week. Polls close on the 1st of each month.

Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry just hits it out of the park and eclipses everything!

Tips and Guidelines

• Upload a maximum of eight photos for the instrument in your post
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise we'll make one up ;-)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build.
    • Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?
    • What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen?
    • Any background on what makes it special?
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by professional builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread shared tend to attract more votes from the general community.
  • ProTip: Voters vote with their ears as well as their eyes....if you have any soundclips of the instrument or even a YouTube video, do post it! Everybody loves to look at beautiful instruments, but hearing them demo'ed is 10x as important.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you have any questions about the contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch!

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:crowdwaits:

• 4 weeks later...

The Fugly Fretless

based on Ritter Jupiter

6 string (.135 low B to .38, d addario rounds) 34" scale

Mahogany body, maple neck, Indian Rosewood fingerboard and truss rod cover, mahogany pickup cover

Nordstrand Dual Coils pickup (Alnico 3 mags) direct to output jack,

Hipshot Bass Tune-a-matic bridge, 19mm spacing

Kiesel Tuners

Corian "deep night sky" nut

Colored Side fret dots- grey/red first octave, blue single at 12th, grey/green second octave, blue single at 24th, single grey at 25th (no point going past that- I will never be up there)

10.4 lbs

Timbermate grain filler, Seagrave Lacquer, colortone black piqment, applied with Preval sprayer

pickup cover is color coats only, no clear coats and no grain filler

Hand buffed finish

Fingerboard was oiled with 80% Watco Danish oil/20% Minwax Wipe-on Poly (satin), then 8 razor thin coats of wipe on poly.

build thread link below:

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

Edited by Mr Natural
build thread link

If only to keep Mr Natural company with another bass considered by some as a fundamentally fugly design concept - the dreaded single cut bass configuration - although I have to challenge Mr Natural's name for his entry which I think is absolutely stunning and should rightly wipe the floor with us mere mortals in this month's fray.  :D    

Introducing: Hankerfer Camfer      

Pretty sure I've never entered it in the Guitar of the Month comp even though I built it a little while ago

The spec of this 4-string single cut bass is:

• Scale Length:  34″
  • Construction:    Neck-Through
  • Body:    Chambered Alder
  • Top:    Camphor
  • Weight:    7lbs 8oz
  • Neck:    Mahogany/Walnut
  • Fretboard:    AAA Grade Ebony
  • Position Markers:    Luminlay Markers on Neck
  • Pickups:    Passive DiMarzio P/J
  • Electronics:    Seymour Duncan 2band EQ
  • Tuners:    Hipshot with D-Tuner
  • Nut:    Warwick Just-a-nut

It was built for Kert, a contact from one of the main UK bass forums and a regular gigging musician.

It took around 3 months to build, including the wipe-on varnish finishing technique that I have been using over the past few years.

The aim was to try and build it light, even though is is a large-bodied design, and for it "to sound fantastic".  At a final 7lbs 8oz, the first objective was met...and it does indeed sound fantastic.

The neck profile was copied from Kert's favourite playing bass using profile gauge measurements to try to reproduce the same essence of feel.

The full build thread can be found here

There's a Youtube demo that Kert did somewhere - I'll try and find it and add it to this blurb

In terms of me - I am a hobby builder who started off 5-6 years ago, generally upgrading and modding my own guitars, then a few builds and then some builds for fellow band-members and then a few commissioned builds emanating from build threads.  I've had a run of bass builds (I'm actually not a bassist myself although I love it when I get the chance for a few numbers in our gigs) but my next two builds after the present one (an ultra-modern bass design) are 6-string electrics, including one for me :thumb:

Anyway....here's  Hankerfer Camfer

IMG_7221.thumb.JPG.a093056602b5242d432a3048821315f8.JPG

IMG_7226.thumb.JPG.f7dd2db0832ef22e0383a5888b9d2c20.JPG

IMG_7235.thumb.JPG.f18af80596142ef79174e1bce60306ea.JPG

IMG_7237.thumb.JPG.a8c973fb641a0e172f0c7571b2ea351f.JPG

IMG_7255.thumb.JPG.bb8d839eb4e607404eab6a8bea4f4ee4.JPG

IMG_7263.thumb.JPG.686a517e5c4effce6fc86afc361a3698.JPG

IMG_7268.thumb.JPG.e493daa3bb9871684ef15e9f118a2471.JPG

hey guys finished guitar number 2 this one is going to a friend that had quite alot of input into the design including the 1 neck pickup which im very fond of the look of. im really happy how its turned out woods are mahogany for the neck, hollow body and pickup cover with a flamed maple cap and the fretboard is rosewood all the hardware is gotoh and its got a split coil pickup going from underwound to a normal p90 sound  all using a push pull pot giving alot of versatility to a one pickup guitar. it was stained and then finished with tru oil

its standard gibson scale length 

and it sounds awesome hope you guys like it :) 

IMG_20170504_230135.jpg

IMG_20170504_230141.jpg

IMG_20170504_230548.jpg

IMG_20170504_230621.jpg

IMG_20170504_230210.jpg

IMG_20170504_230152.jpg

IMG_20170504_230537.jpg