Plank Dimensions?

tenacious_g

Im buying some wood planks to get started on my first build, I was wondering what dimensions I need for the body and neck, i measured them, but I'm not sure if i need to leave some room for error? Im doing a classic strat body. Also, is zebra wood a good wood to work with on a guitar body? I know some woods can't handle the stress and they break

I would always leave some room for error. Every step involved in building- until you start adding a finish anyway - makes the part you are working on a little bit smaller. You need not go a lot bigger, but at least quarter inch more is probably a good idea. Zebra wood is often used in guitar building. You can find in these very pages zebra wood used as tops, bodies, necks and even fretboards.

SR

Having extra length/width is critical, in my opinion, unless you have phenomenal hand tool skills. When you're doing all your rough woodwork, processing your lumber, planing and sanding things down to the correct thicknesses you'll have a tendency to 'oversand' the ends and edges. And there is the potential of planer snipe, if using power tools. Extra length/width helps make up for any kind of inconsistency in either your technique or your tools alignment/quality. I know working oversized has saved my butt a number of times.

Lmii.com and stewmac.com both have body blanks available. And there are many other smaller specialty sites out there that you can find with a little 'google fu'. But 'ready to cut' body blanks won't be cheap. You can save a lot of cash if you can find a lumber yard nearby and cut/plain/join the pieces yourself.