Not a singlecut

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Nice. Any reason you did that before carving the neck?

SR

Yes. Basically I hated how it looked before carving... :D  another reason is that I like to work in both start/end profiles before carving the neck, so I have some reference. Didn't show the volute yet because is not finished.

So I got the back mostly done, it just needs some sanding sessions...

120.jpg.223de377d36e870e2492feef020271b2.jpg

... and some tweaking.

121.jpg.25326b8944bd722881180d5008488644.jpg

WTF is this?? :blink:  Got a weird stain in the middle of the neck... hope to get it out after sanding.

125.jpg.3e60aa579e9ca4385757fe6bea559f8b.jpg

127.jpg.b99f8275a9bd121185aae7edc0038d72.jpg

So next will be carving the top, maybe I get it done this weekend.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, ScottR said:

I don't remember if you have always done them that way or if this is something you've been developing as you go.

No, this is different... I was improvising, as I had to move it forward in order to avoid touching it while playing. Not so nice as the others but more ergonomic.

4 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Very, very nice. That carve looks like something I would do. Probably why I like it so much, we must think alike.

Thanks!.., I didn't wanted to say anything, but I copied it from yours... <_<  Seriously, It is so comfy and relatively easy to do, compared with the LP style carving... so I was thinking since long time ago on doing something like you usually do.

Sorry for the plagiarism, but you probably understand me if I say that I just wanted to keep it simple. ;)

• Like 1

Very nice work.  I also like the dark edge you get where the top meets the base - it's a nice accent without the extra work of putting something else in there.  Did you give any thought to 'smoothing' the edge of the carve on the back the way you did with the top?

15 hours ago, eubie said:

Did you give any thought to 'smoothing' the edge of the carve on the back the way you did with the top?

Thanks... not really, I want to keep it crisp. Although I have to give another pass, I'm not happy with it yet.

The back profile is quite "sudden", however I am sure that the addition of the bridge will make it look a lot more in keeping with the rest of the contouring. Relieving the back might make it look a little too light given the relative proximity of the bridge....

26,25" = 666mm

I've used this before also. :thumb:

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

26,25" = 666mm

Devil is in the details.
(nothing wrong with that Psiko. Devil = 666) :blink:

That top is delicious. The carve is so effective with the subtle edge on the horns vs the subtle curve of the back end.

Thanks guys... ;)

I was doing some inlaying these days, also drilled the holes in the body for the pickup rings, the jack and the straplocks... still need to drill the holes for the pots and switches, but not decided yet on the electronics.

I'm gonna make a to-do list, cause I'm gettin old and insane:

- Give the radius to the fretboard
- Install the frets
- Fine shaping and final sanding everywhere
- The nut
- Solve the electronics

That's all I think... 

157.jpg.2a40735776a70c2104aa51140bd3daba.jpg

147.jpg.22f8c1d701f1d901ce3c708509fc4258.jpg

• Like 2

I actually made myself a google doc spreadsheet where I have a sequence of "tasks" for a build (neck and body separate). Since I normally run ~4 builds in parallel I have a summary sheet that pulls from all the builds and shows me the 3 upcoming "tasks" for every build. Makes it much easier when I find a moment for guitar work to see where I left off and what to dive into.

I love those pickup rings! (actually I love a lot of other things, the list is long ;) the carve!!)

Do you have any in-progress shots for the rings? I was trying to to make wooden pickup rings on a couple of occasions, with varying degrees of success.. I can't get a good process down for this.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the tip about the spreadsheet... :thumb:  I usually don't run many builds in parallel but I certainly waste a lot of time just thinking what to do. 

14 minutes ago, pan_kara said:

Do you have any in-progress shots for the rings? I was trying to to make wooden pickup rings on a couple of occasions, with varying degrees of success.. I can't get a good process down for this.

Sure...  I just realized that Dropbox stopped showing the pictures in this build, but luckily the rings part was uploaded to PG servers...  here you go, hope it helps:

• Like 1

Lovely work as usual. Thanks for sharing.

I'm just hoping you can sand through that blot on the back of the neck. I actually scrapped a neck recently because I found a massive blot (are they called mineral streaks?) hiding under the first couple of mils of maple. It got bigger and bigger as I sanded to the final profile so, heartbreaking though it was, I had to saw off a neck on a neck thru and make it into a set net.

And I just wanted to say thanks for inspiring me as I carbon copied your melamine router sled design and it's one of the most useful additions to my small workshop.