First full build from scratch

Hi

The new build is coming along very slowly. I have took time off to extend my workshop it is now twice the size it was and much better to work in. What I was wanting to ask is the best way to rout pick up cavities. The ones I have done in the past have been ok but I would like to improve the quality of them. Is it best to rout before or after shaping the body as I have seen it done both ways also is it best to make a separate template for routing or cut out the cavities on the body template any other hints would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Hi, A couple of pics of my new guitar prior to starting to build and as it has progressed. When I made the templates and lined them up I discovered that the control cavity did not line up and as can be seen in the photo I have had to move the position of the cavity to take this into account I think I will also have to move the position of the three way switch as well so that I can put a cover on the back of the cavity as I am building the guitar without a scratch plate. does anyone else have trouble like this when making templates or is it just that I have not been accurate enough when making them.

IMG_20180417_091139.jpg

IMG_20180419_091438.jpg

IMG_20180419_091830.jpg

I'm unsure as to what the problem is....I'm missing the point maybe? How did the control cavity not line up? For things such as this, I normally make a separate template for say, a cavity recess that includes the outline as part of the template for alignment.

11 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I'm unsure as to what the problem is....I'm missing the point maybe? How did the control cavity not line up? For things such as this, I normally make a separate template for say, a cavity recess that includes the outline as part of the template for alignment.

I'm also a bit confused.

Are you saying that your body shape template doesn't fit in the right place of the table top, or that there are features in the table top you are trying to avoid, or a different issue altogether?

I was also mystified as to why the control cavity did not line up so I went back and rechecked the plan and found that the actual plan has a mistake and the cavity does not line up with the holes for the switches as it is drawn. Following your advice I have now made a new separate template and everything now lines up correctly.

Hi.

This is my guitar body waiting to rout the outline and following routing it is awaiting the cavities been cut. up to now it only has the switch holes drilled,  also I am trying to laminate the neck due to shortage of long pieces of wood. I know it does not look much at the moment but I am hoping it will look ok when it is all shaped and sanded. 

IMG_20180423_135257.jpg

IMG_20180425_102305.jpg

IMG_20180421_193911.jpg

I hope that it works. I've angled the scarf on the headstock before, however the multiple laminations with unmatched grain directions might act weirdly during working or in service. It's certainly not the normal way of going about things, but making things work is what it's all about. I'd just bear in mind that this might throw you some curveballs as you go, especially the end-grain to end-grain joints which have virtually zero worthwhile bond strength. That is one of the few instances where polyurethane glue is useful, as it forces itself into the endgrain of each piece as it expands given adequate mating and clamping. This isn't a recommendation though.....!

Not trying to knock you or anything, but that's probably it. In all honesty though, that's how mine would turn out if I did them by hand as well more likely than not. I'm sure there's more than enough left there on the covers to ease them a little and make them consistent with the cavities. Just figure out what is causing the gaps (cavity or cover?) and then slowly file them into shape.

12 minutes ago, FINEFUZZ said:

One way to trick the eyes it to create a gap all the way around the edges.  It is much more difficult to decipher discrepancies when two edges are not contacting one another.

Agreed. And you need a gap to start with because finish will make the fit tighter.

SR

Hi, I have done some work on the cavity covers and they are now probably as good as I will get them. I would like to thank everyone who takes the time and effort to read my posts and then takes the effort to respond to them. Without your help and encouragement I would have give up on this project long ago. I doubt if I will ever build a "guitar of the month" guitar but I take pleasure and enjoyment from taking scrap wood and making it into something that at least looks like a guitar and if im lucky plays like a guitar and solving any problems encountered along the way of which I have many. As long as you continue to gain pleasure and enjoyment from what you do then I think that it is what it is all about. Once again thanks to everyone for their continued support.

IMG_20180506_143740.jpg