First full build from scratch

Hi. I have built a couple of kit guitars and now I am starting on my first build from scratch. I am attempting to make a Les Paul style guitar using an old oak table top. I have started with the neck which is about half finished. It looks ok but not as good as I had hoped. There are a few mistakes on it. Also I read that you should fret the fretboard prior to fixing it to the neck which I have done and now wish I hadn't as it would have been easier without the frets in place. I'm not sure how I can sort this out. I guess I can always make a second neck. Watch this space ????

Welcome to the forum!

I think most of us believe it is easier to fret before attaching the neck, but it has been done plenty of times after attaching it. It means much more care is required - particularly during leveling, crowning and dressing - to keep from boogering up the body, especially on a single cut. Post up some pick and we'll try to help.

SR

Hi. When I started the build I made my patterns from hard board as I had some laid around. Next time I will use MDF as I have found that the board is much too soft when using it with a router with the bit tending to go where it wants rather than follow the pattern. A valuable lesson has been learned and also many others as I continue my Les Paul Jr build.

Welcome to the forum - lots of great help here.  Here is a hint on pictures - I always resize my pics to 1280 x 1920, and while doing so, I increase contrast a bit and then is saves as a medium resolution pic, and quick to upload.  Cell phone cameras nowdays seem to default to insane high megapixel images for some stupid reason, so reset to low res as its default if you don't want to resize in other software.  

Whats the fingerboard radius?  Those inlay dots look interesting.  

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics of the finished guitar it is a 59 Les Paul Jr. It was made entirely from an old round table top. The neck was made from strips cut down as was the fret board which was cut to thickness and sanded from an 18mm thick piece of table. All of the veneers for the headstock and the scratch plate were made in the same way as were the cavity covers. As it is all made from an old table top it is not a Les Paul but rather a "Tay Paul Jr. guitar".

20170519_120431.jpg

20170519_120428.jpg

20170519_120337.jpg

20170519_120314.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished making my patterns from 8mm MDF. The half pattern is hardboard as it is only to use to mark the positions of the switches as I am now not fitting a scratch plate as per the plan I have. I have also made (Pattern without paper on middle of pic) a cavity cover pattern from two pieces of MDF glued together and cut larger than the cavity cut out.

20170625_122648.jpg

20170625_122732.jpg

20170625_122652.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments. It does make more sense to make templates. I thought it was a waste of time but believe me it is not it is the best way to make a guitar. I have also been able to put the templates together to get a good idea of what the finished guitar will look like and how it will eventually go together when the separate parts are finished.

• 1 month later...