First full build from scratch

looking really good!  so is that a 339 shape or 335?  I've often wondered why you don't see more semi hollows made this way.  In theory the one piece back/sides should be better.    Gibson now makes the midtown which is similar construction so... perhaps now that the 'pope' of guitars has ordained it!  Really love it - might have to do similar build someday.

Hi, I'm brand, spanking new here and have just read this whole thread.  It is inspiring to see the progress you have made since your first build!  I too am unemployed, so I feel your financial pain there.  I am hoping to make a living from my YouTube channel where I build guitars and give them away to subscribers.  I have only posted two videos so far, but the response has been very positive.  The awesome thing about using inexpensive materials is that it lets you practice more.  Keep up the good work and I'll keep watching!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, spottydog said:

I will have to look at the dust problem as it is getting worse. I would love to build a large garage workshop but we rent our house so I am a bit limited as to size of workshop I can have 

Exactly the same here. Control is better than dealing with dust after the fact. None of this changes routers habit of throwing prodigious amounts of waste everywhere when edge routing of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered a problem with my guitar body. where I had carved for the pot holes I carved the wood to thin so I have had to take the wood out to replace it and am waiting to re carve the top. I have also discovered that the body at the "block" position is to thick so I will need to rectify this as well. I guess that's the advantage of building yourself you can sort problems out as you come to them.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 8:34 PM, spottydog said:

Discovered a problem with my guitar body. where I had carved for the pot holes I carved the wood to thin so I have had to take the wood out to replace it and am waiting to re carve the top. I have also discovered that the body at the "block" position is to thick so I will need to rectify this as well. I guess that's the advantage of building yourself you can sort problems out as you come to them.

Even after building a number of guitars and basses, I find it's still a process of progress, snag, fix, carry on ;)

It becomes part of the satisfaction of getting a decent end result in spite of all your effort :lol:

• Like 1

Many thanks for encouraging words sometimes you think your the only one who makes mistakes and has to start again. Pic shows area replaced prior to sanding. I cut the f hole with a jigsaw. The only problem was the jigsaw was cutting deeper than the body making it impossible to cut the f hole. I solved this by using double side tape to stick a Cork sanding block to the jigsaw sole plate. It was then a simple matter of cutting the hole out. I hope this will be of help to someone who is struggling with a similar problem. 

IMG_20181012_135355.jpg