First full build from scratch

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment I want to see if I can use the same wood from the pallet with a piece of oak in the middle to strengthen the neck. I think it would be an interesting experiment as you normally use hard woods for strength and sound. I plan to bolt on the neck so if problems occur at a later date I will be able to remove the neck and replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, since they are essentially the same thing. Methylated spirits have a bittering agent, dye and methyl alcohol added to the base ethanol. Denatured alcohol is more or less the same thing, except meths has the colour added. Not sure if anybody else outside of the UK does that. The dye might be a problem. Is yours clear?

Neck is coming along slowly. I have truss rod installed and neck ready for final shaping. When putting in truss rod is it best to put a fillet on top before fixing fret board. I am just worried about going too deep on neck and not having enough wood left to shape the back of the neck without sanding through to the truss rod.

IMG_20171019_102035.jpg

IMG_20171019_104758.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I don't tend to glue fretwire in, however loose frets will never seat correctly without it. Just take care to clean up any squeezeout whilst it's still wet. Pre-cut wire isn't something I use either, for reasons of sizing, economy and re-radiusing. If you want to re-radius wire, cut a slot in a radiused piece of wood (one radius size smaller than you need) and make it deliberately loose. Enough so that you can remove the fret. Tap it with a fret hammer and form the radius that way. Not ideal, but the only way that springs to mind on re-radiusing short pieces of wire.

Not as wide as your board? That's strange....which wire did you buy, and what's your board width?

Hi. Last guitar I made I had trouble with the angle of the neck which resulted in the action been too high. Does anyone have any hints or tips for getting the correct neck angle to stop this from happening again. I was hoping to bolt the neck onto my flying v rather than glue it on as I did with my last guitar.

Sure. Well, what did the issue stem from? Was this down to how you calculated the neck angle, cut it into the neck or perhaps an error of measurement somewhere? That's usually a good start in order to apply yourself to the cause.

Never be embarrassed about anything, otherwise you'll stop yourself from progressing or discussing areas that need improvement. I know that I'm crap at paint for example, and I'm happy for other people to help bring me up to speed in that kind of area.

I always describe the neck angle as being a combination of two things; the neck to body angle itself and the height that the fingerboard "leaves" the body. The higher the latter, the smaller the former. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...