First full build from scratch

Having researched the building of hollow body guitars. Its quite a few steps on from solid body guitars and I think it will take quite a while to build one. I hope I will be able to build a fairly decent 335 hollow body l guess there is only one way to find out if I can. Watch this space as they say. 

You could bypass both main difficulties in constructing this type of guitar by making two  full wood frames for the sides, I think I left it about an inch wide. Glue those on a center block, planed and shaped for all the angles on top/back as per your plans, preferably with some hardwood dowels as the glueing surface is not that big.

I was able to glue 4mm poplar plywood on, conforming to all surfaces with no problems at all. Use a lot of clamps and a few nails for reference points, and later sand/route the hangover, route the binding channel etc...

I don't have much pics of the process, but this might help:

29455820764_377706fbde_z.jpgIMG_20161001_154103 by Goran P, on Flickr

30568212376_e2027df33f_b.jpgIMG_20161027_202441 by Goran P, on Flickr

I did it backwards, but you can glue a veneer strip around the frame and make it look much like a standard 335.

29999507610_53625313d8_b.jpgIMG_20161013_073722 by Goran P, on Flickr

29972778054_60ae255045_b.jpgIMG_20161027_202318 by Goran P, on Flickr

I strung it up, and now I'm too lazy to remove the strings and actually install the pickups, but it plays nicely acoustically, it stands ready by the couch, so the method works OK. A friend wants one, so I'll be repeating the process sometime in future.

Hope this helps!

Edited by gpcustomguitars

I don't care what people say, this old dog has learnt a lot of new tricks since I retired, You are never to old to learn you just need the right attitude. Forums like this really helped me to get inspired not only to make guitars but to make a whole bunch of other wood related stuff. My latest toy is an Inventible's  X carve cnc, which has got the biggest learning curve of all the tools in my workshop but hey learning is fun and it helps keep that old grey matter alive.

• Like 2

on the topic of 335/355 builds- a member (its been a while since he has posted) named Blackdog has done some of the best build threads ever. 

This one may be of interest to you in your journey. there is a lot of great information and pics -though I notice on some of his build threads some of the pics are missing. He has links to his hosting site and seriously- his build threads are terrific imho. Click on the subject line below- it will(should) take you to page4 of this thread where he did a les paul and a 355. (scroll down for the 355 stuff) or better yet start at the beginning- Blackdog always did super clean and detailed work.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spottydog said:

Had a fight with a drill bit this afternoon and I think I lost this time

Been there done that. :)  Happy Belated Birthday!!! Still as we age, we can become a better wine or a sour vinegar. The choice is yours.