A few builds over the past 8 months

the 335 is still "in progress". The body is black limba, took a while to hog out all the excess, when I was all done the weight was quite nice. The top I actually bought for head plates and cavity covers because there where some splits in it. I decided to run some thin CA glue into the cracks before re-sawing but the color that came out with the CA on was brilliant...so I fixed all the splits and decided to use it as the top. The neck is flame maple, fretboard and binding is cocobolo.. I went with an aged Schroeder bridge in the end....I hope to finish it off next week.

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

CA finish on the top huh? I experimented with that some years ago and then forgot about it, until about a week ago when it popped into my head again. I may revisit the idea again. The hole below the bridge is very cool as is the fretboard and inlays.

Very sweet build going on here!

SR

Nice builds!!  I guess you got the building bug bad.  Can you rub out and buff a CA finish?  Seems awfully hard.  I used to be a UV chemist formulating 100% solids UV cure coatings, which are acrylates like cyanoacrylate.  The high crosslink acrylate monomers would often migrate to the surface prior and during cure, therefore they left a hard film across the surface that made them impossible to wet sand and buff without witness lines - kindof like buffing epoxy.   So my buffable UV formulas had to use low crosslink monomers and high percentages of aliphatic urethanes, which is why I would be leary of using CA as a finish.  But I have never even seen a CA finish, so I could be blowin smoke up your . . .   

Pretty impressive technical polymer science smoke, but smoke nonetheless.  

I test finished a mini body with CA just to see how it would work and while it was not particularly nice to work with, it polished out to a very nice finish. Now days they sell the stuff as a finish as well as an adhesive.

Pics down at the bottom of page 9...

SR