Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

6 minutes ago, Norris said:

It's only a cheap one :)

All cellos are nice cellos :) They are beautiful instruments.

And talking of which, this build is going to be too. 

Nice job with the Tru-oil.  I always found getting a gloss finish with Tru-oil very challenging.  Lovely when it's done, though.  Over time, it always seems to me to tone down a teeny bit from high gloss which, to my eye, makes it look a bit like the nitro finish on an old Gibson.

• Like 1

Much better than those pointy ended upcut things! This only goes so far, since there's no escapement for waste in closed cuts. This is about the limit. Those fancy M2 HSS drills I use on occasion are perfect for clean and sharp holes like these as long as you keep them stable and advance slowly....so they don't bite and self feed!

Are those dots spaced a social distance apart? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

Looking fantastic. such great mahogany, Total shielding of the cavity makes such a difference to reducing extraneous noise, especially at high gain and volume. What sort of music is going to be played on this guitar?

Thanks 

It will be used for a variety of music. Dan is the guitarist in my band, playing covers from 60s to 80s, mainly centred around 70s rock & prog. His main earner is (or at least was before the virus postponed their tour) playing with Martin Turner, founder member of Wishbone Ash - so it will be used to Throw Down the Sword a few times I imagine :D

He was hoping to use the guitar towards the end of the tour, but I have a little more time to finish it properly now and let the Tru Oil cure a bit

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm now "furloughed". I'm not actually allowed to do any work (on my day job) but still being paid. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it 🙂

I don't think I can drag this build out for much longer though 

I've gone over the body with 6000 grit micromesh. Not to remove every imperfection, more to knock down any dust particles, even out the wipe marks and check over the fine details. I've cleaned out the jack plate recess - a lot of scraping with a razor blade. 

Then a good polish with Meguiar's ultimate compound and the body has come up rather nice 

IMG-20200401-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.39e55c6af69008a602737a8a62db7d92.jpeg

IMG-20200401-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.4e76d5085acfc562a23237551cb7743f.jpeg

I left the Tru Oil to harden off for a good week before polishing and am rather pleased with the results. I'll confess that I wasn't sure if it would be hard enough to polish, but there you go.

I made a bit of a start on the neck, knocking back a couple of minor runs, but that's tomorrow's job - and it will be a semi-matt finish, 'cos that's much nicer than a full gloss when you have sweaty hands.

• Like 3

Oh, and the nut slotting files have turned up. With my evening classes in virus lockdown, that's one thing I hadn't got in my own kit

I initially made the mistake of buying some cheap Chinese ones from Ebay, took one glance and chucked them straight in the bin. I now have some nice Japanese Hosco nut files.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

I definitely have to check TruOil, that gloss is superb!

Thanks. I did leave it at least a week between coats to harden off, knocking back with progressively finer grits. You can still see quite a few pores - it still looks like wood.

The polishing did add a tiny hint of milkiness to the finish, but is much smoother than I could achieve just with wiping. Possibly thinning the oil might have helped there, but I didn't thin it at all. The key was the preparation and applying the oil quickly and not trying to work it too much. If a coat didn't go so well, wait a week, knock it back and do another coat 🙂

The raw wood had a pinkish hue to it, but the Tru Oil has turned it a delicious nutty brown. I do find myself stopping to gaze at it often 😄

• Like 1

Tru Oil does NOT drop-fill well at all 

Having accidentally put a small dint in the back, I drop filled it, scraped back with a razor blade... and made a mess!

I'll let it sit for now while I regain my composure. It might be a full sand back and re-coat of the back of the guitar coming soon :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Norris said:

Tru Oil does NOT drop-fill well at all 

It can be done but you have to give it enough time to shrink back. You have to over fill by a fair amount and wait for it to stop shrinking. Then sand it level and decide if you can live with the witness line you just created. If not, you need to wipe on a couple more finishing layers over the whole back to bury it.

Does not change the fact that your comment is very true...

SR