Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

1 hour ago, Norris said:

It doesn't take long to mark out the slot positions. In this case, having marked the top and bottom strings 4mm in from the fretboard edge (an advantage of keeping the nut "square" until that point), the rest of the strings worked out to exactly 7.5mm apart. Just like marking out the frets, all measured from the same datum point to avoid compounding errors

I presume that your measurements go from center point to center point?

I take alternate route, but one that is just as simple. I like the gaps between the strings to be equal instead of them being on equal centers. I add the string to edge space I want plus the width of all the strings and subtract that from the fretboard width. That leaves the total amount of space between the strings. Divide that by 5 for the number of spaces left and you have an equal gap width. I made a shim of that width and lay it along side the slot file to locate the next slot.

SR

51 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I presume that your measurements go from center point to center point?

Yes. I know that @Prostheta cuts his nut the way you do too, but tbh the difference is pretty negligible imho. Plus the pack of strings that Dan has given me don't have the gauges on it - it's from a bulk pack

Maybe on my next full build, which will be a (my!) bass so the gaps might be more noticeable due  to the thicker strings :)

11 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

The end is in sight :D Looking great Norris

Thanks. Not far off now. I'm kinda not wanting the build to end, as I'm unlikely to start another during lockdown (I still have my campervan engine rebuild to finish!). There's really nothing left to do though apart from the final setup, so it's going to have to end soon :)

Yep. If you used a spacer from slot to slot, they'll all be equal spaces instead of equal centres. I prefer that when I have the choice, but it does create it's own constraints in some tuner spacing for straight string pull for in-line tuners (non-equal tuner to tuner locating). Marginal, but hey. It's literally splitting hairs, and I excel at that.

Equal centres vs. Equal spacing affects basses and baritones, 12-strings, etc. more than a typical 6-string. Still, all design aspects are worth considering even when minor. Get the details down and the end product is more accurate and a finer piece.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Norris said:

Why not buy a ready made neck, or even a ready made guitar?

Touché! Then again, the ready made nuts require a total remaking while taking half of the material off a neck would be a no-go.

Anyhow, looking great! The three year building time has some benefits, one being that you don't end up having your room filled with less than perfect hastily built concoctions.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Anyhow, looking great! The three year building time has some benefits, one being that you don't end up having your room filled with less than perfect hastily built concoctions.

Thanks. This one is actually being built for a mate of mine, so I'll have more room when it's gone :)

Which reminds me, I really must bolt that new guitar rack on the wall...

Truss rod cover finally glued together with a bit of CA

20200512_100018.thumb.jpg.4c53bd8b29f0b9be3dc594b3bceb46e1.jpg

And in place...

20200512_095954.thumb.jpg.ed76c49b355e747c54cb4108f25185ef.jpg

The snug fit and magnets seems to hold it in place well. I'm rather pleased with that 

And yes, the 3 dots echo the dots on the body if you can remember that far back 

Now to string it up and fettle. Expect full glamour shots later this week 

• Like 1

So I've put some strings on and it's actually quite playable as it is. The pickups sound great with a nice tonal difference in the 3 switch positions and still sound good with the volume rolled off (which Dan does a lot - hence the positioning of the volume knob).

I'll let it settle under tension overnight before I fine tune the nut slots and continue with the setup 

15 hours ago, Norris said:

Not far off now. I'm kinda not wanting the build to end

It's bittersweet, is it not?

I'm always torn when it gets to that point. One one hand there is the end is in sight rush, and can't wait to get to that feeling of satisfaction of a mission accomplished....not to mention getting to play a new guitar. On the other hand there is all those weeks  and months,....even years of pleasure the building of this has given me, and knowing that when I wake up tomorrow morning, I'll no longer have that to look forward to. It leaves a bit of an empty feeling.

SR

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Norris said:

So I've put some strings on and it's actually quite playable as it is. The pickups sound great with a nice tonal difference in the 3 switch positions and still sound good with the volume rolled off (which Dan does a lot - hence the positioning of the volume knob).

I'll let it settle under tension overnight before I fine tune the nut slots and continue with the setup 

Mmmmmmm P-90s.

SR

• Like 1

I think we've touched on this before, however that volume pot use sounds like he uses a cranked amp and controls the breakup from the guitar? That would suit a "50s" style of wiring the tone pot in there if so. The palette available from that makes an instrument, I think.

29 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I think we've touched on this before, however that volume pot use sounds like he uses a cranked amp and controls the breakup from the guitar? That would suit a "50s" style of wiring the tone pot in there if so. The palette available from that makes an instrument, I think.

I did discuss that with him and we settled on conventional wiring. Most of his "drive" comes from pedals rather than the amp. I'd love to give the 50s wiring a try one day though - maybe I'll rewire the Nozcaster :)

6 hours ago, Norris said:

Truss rod cover finally glued together with a bit of CA

20200512_100018.thumb.jpg.4c53bd8b29f0b9be3dc594b3bceb46e1.jpg

And in place...

20200512_095954.thumb.jpg.ed76c49b355e747c54cb4108f25185ef.jpg

The snug fit and magnets seems to hold it in place well. I'm rather pleased with that 

And yes, the 3 dots echo the dots on the body if you can remember that far back 

Now to string it up and fettle. Expect full glamour shots later this week 

Ha!  So you are using the trussrod itself as the other half of the magnetic cover.  That's almost a touch of genius! 

Consider it stolen ;)

20 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Ha!  So you are using the trussrod itself as the other half of the magnetic cover.  That's almost a touch of genius! 

Consider it stolen ;)

Yes. I couldn't think of another way to get the TRC thin enough, keep it compact and not weaken the headstock joint. I'm sure I stole it from someone else :)

• Like 1

Final weight is 2982 grams, which is a shade over 6.5 lbs

20200513_153750.thumb.jpg.96e88d97ac051c1d0e3d49603329b943.jpg

I've taken a load of photos (which I'll post later). Handover is tomorrow

Yes, it will go into GOTM when Dan has done a demo video :)

I'll be sad to see it go. It sounds lovely with a clean sound, and absolutely sings with a bit of drive. My fingers are raw from playing it

• Like 1

Minor snag - it's choking on the 2nd fret. Either that is too high or the 1st fret is too low. That's a job for tomorrow, as I've loosened and tightened the tuners about 100 times already today - the joys of adjusting a wraparound bridge!

Shame, as the rest of the neck is playing beautifully. It's only out by a gnat's nadger, so shouldn't be a major job. It might delay handover by a day, but hey - who's in a rush at the moment? :)

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That's my boy!  Welcome to the 'why the hell do guitars have to be so flaming heavy' club   :)

I don't know what variety of khaya the body is, but it's light. And looks nice :)

Edit: it's actually a solid slab - no chambering

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Norris said:

Minor snag - it's choking on the 2nd fret. Either that is too high or the 1st fret is too low.

It simply doesn't meet quality control standards. I don't know if the neck has settled since I fretted it, or I've gone a bit overboard with polishing. The fact is I'll only be happy with re-levelling, crowning and polishing. As it isn't a million miles out I've made myself a sanding beam loaded with 600 grit wet or dry paper - that I know is properly flat. It will be used dry

Slight setback, but minor in the grand scheme of things. Normal service will be resumed shortly...

• Like 2

Phew! It's done. It played quite nicely before, but it's 73.4% better now :) It sings so nicely and the notes flow, so that it even makes me sound like a guitarist (I'm a bass player btw)

I did a much better job of polishing the frets too. I don't know why I did it by hand before - it's so much easier & better result with the Dremel

So it's probably handover early next week, although I'll admit I'd love to be able to keep it 

• Like 3