Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

On 4/3/2019 at 5:00 PM, ScottR said:

I always seem to find a way to ding the board. Not always with the hammer....but always.:angry:

SR

I'm an embarrasingly clumsy builder and am FOREVER dinging the body.  Bizarrely, I've actually never dinged a fretboard - and yet I do hammer all my frets.   Clearly, I have that delight to look forward to :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I'm an embarrasingly clumsy builder and am FOREVER dinging the body.  Bizarrely, I've actually never dinged a fretboard - and yet I do hammer all my frets.   Clearly, I have that delight to look forward to :)

I don't think I've managed a fretboard without a ding yet, once of my builds ended up with a chunk of binding missing where the hammer slipped off the end of the fret, it's a real pig to get the fret ends down on a bound fretboard some times 😢

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Norris. More importantly, the headstock logo doesn't spell anything rude when it's upside down. 🙃

I thought it looked like a binding rout at first @ADFinlayson but the frets are a bit short for that aren't they? You generally bind before fretting too unless you're adding those pesky nibs (ambitious but do-able). Might be an optical illusion or maybe Norris will be showing off more of his talents!

Edited by Splintazert
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Splintazert said:

Looking great Norris. More importantly, the headstock logo doesn't spell anything rude when it's upside down. 🙃

I thought it looked like a binding rout at first @ADFinlayson but the frets are a bit short for that aren't they? You generally bind before fretting too unless you're adding those pesky nibs (ambitious but do-able). Might be an optical illusion or maybe Norris will be showing off more of his talents!

Note to self... think about how to build a logo that will spell something obscene when upside down.

god I hope you are doing nibs... I've wanted to do that but reading about it everyone says it's a pita.  Either way, looking amazing! 

• Haha 1

No, just a simple fret job. It's my least favourite activity, so nothing fancy. 

The "binding channels" are where the neck blank is still a bit wider than the fretboard. That will be carved away soon

The customer (my guitarist) wants it to be simple like the original. He's already turned down several "enhancements" I've suggested. I'm just trying to execute it as best I can :)

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

Note to self... think about how to build a logo that will spell something obscene when upside down.

Lol, I have spent the last hour glancing at my calculator thinking "shall I try typing in 58008 just for old times' sake?".

That's more nips than nibs though...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Splintazert said:

yeah I mentioned nibs in my post!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Splintazert said:

Lol, I have spent the last hour glancing at my calculator thinking "shall I try typing in 58008 just for old times' sake?".

That's more nips than nibs though...

hehe... 55378008 came to mind.  also 3MTA3 - think that was on a beastie boys album cover.  anywho... will have to come up with my own.  I love hidden messages in art.  when I was young and stupid(er)... I did a guitar painting and it had this background that was all little symbals that seemed to be random... but I had hid a message there regarding our school principal and v. principal... the piece got selected to be displayed with several other pieces as part of 'parent teacher conferences' week.  Thought I was so smart... bringing friends up to show where it said "gobin sucks".  I still have that painting... will have to scan it in one of these days.

31 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

yeah I mentioned nibs in my post!

I'm all about nibs... both the fret type and the licorice type!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I get the impression I'm about to be an idiot but I don't get that one?  hint? 

I had to google for that one as well... Apparently it isn't an upside down thing.

6 minutes ago, Norris said:

Do the initials mean the same in Finnish?

Although one might think so by reading the current company names here, that one doesn't mean a thing in Finnish. I've seen TIS-517 which can be read both ways and means 800-8135

Edited by Bizman62

13 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I had to google for that one as well... Apparently it isn't an upside down thing.

Well, if it was, the driver behind, who had just had to brake sharply would be shouting, presumably in Finnish, " WHAT, FFS, ARE YOU DOING STANDING ON YOUR HEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE F***ING HIGHWAY?????"

;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

tip: "for f---s sake LOL"

snap apparently I still didn't get it - I am thick.  I thought the 101 might be equiv of that vangoh painting with hands to the face and mouth open w susprise.  LOL never even occurred to me.  "I see the forest but where are all the trees?"

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well, if it was, the driver behind, who had just had to brake sharply would be shouting, presumably in Finnish, " WHAT, FFS, ARE YOU DOING STANDING ON YOUR HEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE F***ING HIGHWAY?????"

;)

Do you call them highways in Derby? 😂

• Haha 1