First "From-Scratch" Build

Hey guys, first time poster here from SW Virginia. I put together a swamp ash partscaster a couple weeks ago, and wondered if I could build a guitar from scratch or not, so I picked up some materials and decided to give it a go. I tried the outline of one of my Telecasters, and then tweaked it from there. Anyway, here is where I'm at this far... Pine body with a black walnut top. It will have a set of PAF type humbuckers and a Strat style tremolo. I'm going to attempt to build the neck from scratch as well.

out of all the forums, this one is the easiest to upload pics, but maybe since you just registered today, it doesnt allow you yet, so give it some time.  This is a great forum for new guys with scratch builds - lots of support and great pro info, but not as active as others.

Why pine as a base?  Either go full walnut, or walnut on top of basswood, alder or maple.  Even poplar would be better than pine, as it damages easily, and the grain telegraphs right through to the perfectly flat finish you are hoping for.   Cost of wood is so negligible compared to all the other costs you will be putting into it, so get good wood right off the bat.  

Others might have better suggestions, but you will have a ton of fun either way.   Welcome to the forum!!

I used the pine because I had it in the shop, I come from a Telecaster background (many great Tele's are made of pine. It's resonant, light, and has a snappy response and a bright tone.), the walnut I have isn't thick enough for a complete body, no local suppliers of dry hardwood, plus my impatience to not want to wait until green lumber is dry enough to use.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fordguy_85 said:

I've tried uploading from the photo library directly from my phone, and from photobucket as well, but neither is working...

Photobucket has been problematic for a while, but uploading to your directly to your thread woks pretty much the same way.  There is a choose files link at the bottom of the posting box. Clicking that will open a window on your computer within which you select the pictures you want to upload and then click open. Thumbnails will load to the bottom of your post with a "+" symbol on them. Hitting the plus sign inserts them into your post. If that is what you are attempting to do, and it still is not working, then @curtisa or @Prostheta will need to check your permissions.

SR

• Like 1

gZ72c1Q.jpg

No pics, but I took some thickness off of the back of the body with the router yesterday to get back down to around 1-3/4 - 1-7/8 once I sand the back. Also, here is a pic of the other end of my walnut boards... this figured end I wanted to save until I had finished at least one build so as to not risk ruining it. 

Edited by fordguy_85

21 minutes ago, fordguy_85 said:

I ended up using a farriers rasp, what I think is an auto body rasp, and an angle grinder... 

Nice - I'd love to see more pics from some different angles that show the contours.

-- se