Limba 6 Multiscale Filter'Tron

Made a jig to cut the brass tubing to 7mm, then cleaned them up using a little dowel chucked into a cordless drill.  Made 12 of these ... need 10, but who knows.  Next used the  "plug-cutter bit" I made ... it works, after a fashion.  Found if I didn't clean it out ever millimeter, it would start burning, then found that if I drilled right next to a previous hole, it would work a lot better.  Will make about 20 of these tomorrow, and choose which ones look best.

Next up is the side markers ... 3mm brass tubing with Padauk center.  IF I can make a plug 2mm in diameter! :fingersx:

35890143792_7f574e15b7_b.jpg

35251858673_b13daf4f99_b.jpg

35890162662_37950e3da5_b.jpg

35251874743_9a40b95d76_b.jpg

36019199706_f628d8ce1a_b.jpg

Was going to have the "dots" go through the fretboard, but the potential for disaster seemed great, so remade 12 3.5mm deep top dots, and started testing on side markers.

Also tested a 30-degree hole for the markers ... to make an oval "dot" ... looked cool, but the logistics were beyond me.  (sorry, no pic just now)

36116234476_1f6dc8fb7f_b.jpg

35764642650_b6dd076bfa_b.jpg

35764649330_2ab44b6751_b.jpg

36155209065_1f92e703dc_b.jpg
  • Like 2

Thought I had done enough domestic stuff to keep Mrs.Charisjapan appeased for a while ... but alas, I apparently made a LOT of promises that I put in the "Later" box. ;)  Not trying to be sexist or anything, but doesn't it sometimes seem that wives have better memory for such things?! ;)

But in between chores, I was able to prep the neck for the fretboard.  Carbon fiber rods are epoxied in, and also the "HotRod" truss rod.  The two brass ends of the rod were about 1mm above the rod itself, and I just so happened to have some 1mm strips of Padauk, so used gel super glue to hold in place, then sanded everything down to flat.  I know it wasn't a required step, but it looks nice, and will have just a bit more adhesion surface for the fretboard.

:cheers2:

35840668270_5fe34a05b5_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna have to take a little break from the build ... hoping only a short one. The other day I found myself having to choose between falling with a ladder, or jumping off it. Neither boded well, as I was about 10 feet (2.5 meters) off the ground at the time, but experience tells me that the complications of a runaway ladder (a 32-foot ladder extended to about 25 feet) outweigh the jump. I landed pretty good, and the ladder didn't fall on me (or anyone else! I was beside a busy public sidewalk and road), but my right foot has a bit of pain under the heel. The doctor took X-rays and a CT-scan, both negative, but he put me in a wrap-on half-cast and told me to come in next Tuesday. If it's "just" a bad sprain, it'll just take some time and care ... but if it's still bad, next is an MRI to look for a micro-fracture. Apparently, you don't want one of those.

So posting my dumb circus act on Facebook, and posting a pic of a cheapo aluminum and plastic cane I bought (live on third floor, no elevator, crutches were scary!), @Barnaby wrote that I was probably thinking about carving a wood handle ... so I took it as a challenge! I was also inspired by @Freddy G 's latest build video to use rasps and scrapers for something other than a neck build. I also used a drum sander and drill press. It was a snap to bore an 18mm hole on a block of wood, but a lot more complicated to make a corresponding peg! Learned a lot about joints today. Btw, this is the same Mountain Cherry as the neck in the Chinaberry bass.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Still waiting for MRI results, but ankle feels fine.  Hoping to get the doctor's okay next Tuesday.  Meantime, after giving the cane a recarve ( ;);) ), I've become very good at fast-hobbling.

36038571210_6f1e965e92_b.jpg

Was able to get down to the shop a bit today, as well as do some sit-down work.  Started to make a headstock template for Mount Fuji.  Last time with the Chinaberry bass, I just freehanded with the trimmer/router.  This time I want to replicate it at least once, so need something a 10mm bearing bit would follow ... meaning a smoother "snowcap" line.  I also cut out a couple blocks of the White Limba for "snow."  Next was locating the fretboard dots, and made a little test piece to make sure the brass would fit in the hole made with a 6mm bit I finally found. (Forstner bits are uncommon in Japan)  Tight fit, but it cut the Wenge nicely ... happy puppy.

35644146134_7fafa8cf05_b.jpg

36311287732_c74b6377b2_b.jpg

36342198061_74cc487505_b.jpg

22 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Crikey. Well, I hope you don't have those microfractures....how come they're so bad compared to a "normal" fracture?

I'm no expert, but undetected (or ignored) a micro-fracture flexes while healing, which often causes trouble later in life.  A good friend said that they were having arthritis-like trouble 30 years after a similar situation.  Honestly, I think the doctor is just playing it safe, and Mrs.  Charisjapan is on his side ... I'm outvoted!  Icing, elevation, and no strain ... is driving me nuts!!

I wonder if that's what I did to my left big toe then....back when I was learning Muay Thai I did a push kick on banana boy (we all had nicknames....) and my big toe made a big snapping sound against his knee. Since then its been somewhat problematic and occasionally pretty painful. Especially when it's cold or I have a bit of a bug that makes you more sensitive than normal.

Well, see this time lost as time investing in not being in pain later on!

A little progress on the fretboard, drilled the "dot" holes, and locator pin holes under 3rd and 21st fret markers.  Gotta say, Wenge sure can make even a nice bit wander!  I think they're lined up and centered reasonably well. :fingersx:

Was doing a lot of other standing work today, so this was about my limit.

36358466851_933db0508d_b.jpg

36358463891_ba3f983e0e_b.jpg

36449658766_c5a7107836_b.jpg

36495784025_76be0e7674_b.jpg

35660765024_13d1a91cdd_b.jpg

15 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I wonder if that's what I did to my left big toe then....back when I was learning Muay Thai I did a push kick on banana boy (we all had nicknames....) and my big toe made a big snapping sound against his knee. Since then its been somewhat problematic and occasionally pretty painful. Especially when it's cold or I have a bit of a bug that makes you more sensitive than normal.

Well, see this time lost as time investing in not being in pain later on!

Hey Prostheta,

Indeed, it's worth taking care of an injury .  AND, you have to be careful about "collateral" injury ... hurting one ankle makes you walk weird on the other ankle, which HAS to be fixed!  I hurt my left ankle riding my motorcycle, ignored it for a year, then took about a year of doctor visits and physical therapy to get the limp out of hips, knees and ankles.  You bet I'm gonna do it right this time!!

But ... Kick Boxing?!  You be careful of knuckles, toes, and just about everywhere you used to hit someone else ... sez the guy that is now paying for shoto-kan karate some 40 years back, as well as 35 years of construction work.  Folks say that being old is not fun, but getting there sure was!! :P

My personal bane is wet winter days and just before a typhoon hits in the summer ... my body is more accurate than the National Weather Service! :thumb:

Kickboxing is a watered-down coffee-shop derivative. :thumb:

Yeah, my back and knees are pretty much shot up. I should perhaps lose a few kgs to lessen the load on them, however like everybody I am great at finding excuses not to do this. MT did however do me a lot of good in strengthening my back muscles, plus our teacher's performance trainer helped me strengthen the weird muscles under my knee which are very difficult to maintain.

I did mention this was a bolt-on, right?

I've really got to think about workflow ... ! I just realized I need to have the neck heel finished before I can rout the neck pocket, and I need the neck pocket finished in order to locate the bolt holes ... I don't really have a template for any of those. A bit embarrassed about not thinking this through until now, but less embarrassed than I'd be had I glued the fretboard on! This guitar was originally supposed to be a test mule of sorts, but I have become attached to it ( ;);) ), and want to make it nice. My Odie's Oil arrived! ... in Hawaii :(. Now I have to wait until early October before I can go there and bring it back. But it's okay, as at this rate, I won't be ready to finish anything until then!

Added two more locator pins, so under markers 3, 9, 12, and 21 ... this puppy ain't shifting anywhere! Chopped the heel end next will add a 3mm radius ... don't want it too sharp.

Tomorrow I get MRI results ... hoping to get a thumbs up and back to work and hobby.

35701680664_66a8222c92_b.jpg

[IMG]

[IMG] 

• Like 2

Goodbye, crutches and cane! :applause: The doctor said, "Congratulations," as I walked into his office.  No micro-fracture, but a small sliver fracture and a couple torn ligaments.  In other words, a bad sprain, which means I have to "take it easy" for another month.  This phrase is kinda relative, IMO, but will not jump off ladders for a while.  It is so nice to wear a PAIR of shoes! Mrs. CJ is happy ( ;);) ) that the diagnosis included the word "fracture" (only a few millimeters), as that means my supplementary insurance covers everything.

35762364124_c94ea6e718_b.jpg

While taking it easy, I had some shop time to trim the fretboard to size, finish the heel, and mess around with the headstock step.  It's bit deeper than ideal, but after thinning and radiusing the fretboard, break angle should be enough to forego any kind of string tee.  As shown, I used some 3M Stickit wrapped around a 12mm dowel to shape the step ... and will probably use a 15mm dowel for final shaping. A bit more tidying up to do after I make the "snowcap," then on to the neck carve!  As you can see, the Padauk/Wenge binding turned out to be 1mm/1.5mm ... can't wait to see what it looks like with frets and fret markers. :hyper

36599674725_0b2aa65026_b.jpg

36599673945_763995aa03_b.jpg

36553446186_139a7b4225_b.jpg

35790287313_fb058b7b08_b.jpg

Put together a template for routing the neck pocket, and to give me a visualization of bridge location.  Will first rout the pocket and drill the bolt holes, intonate with E and e strings, then finalize the bridge location and string-through holes.  Bit by bit ...

35814849293_f7cbb8d53f_b.jpg

35809790804_3867bca1c6_b.jpg

36644241485_221a1a3c75_b.jpg
  • Like 1

Set up the template and started routing.  Man! Limba is smooth stuff.  I do imagine that it will ding easily, but this is not a collector's piece ... except for me.  I plan on ccollecting dings!!  ;);)

Still have to use a 3mm radius chisel on the back corners of the pocket, but it looks right.  The fit is not tight like the tenon in a set-neck, just enough that it drops right in, and should be snug after Odie's Oil on both neck and pocket.  I may have to go down another 0.5mm ... or not.  I'll find out after I drill the bolt holes and set the bridge.

35828447734_acb53e23e2_b.jpg

35853991403_80fbddb557_b.jpg

36616865766_bde5d33e8d_b.jpg

35828557204_2245959dc6_b.jpg

35853976663_88b6c34a82_b.jpg

36663254735_9da6fd9c80_b.jpg

20 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Nothing to add, other than "yep, that's how it's done". But you know that. :thumb:

How's the injury holding up?

No, I didn't know that from personal experience until now!  Was frettin' up a storm (pun intended ;)).

I'm doing okay, but finding out that I landed on both feet, and both are a bit beat up.  I kind of expected that, but now that I'm moving around, I can tell you I don't want to jump off a ladder again!  But this evening we had a pretty bad storm pass through, and have a leak.  Which means I have to extend my ladder to full 34' extension (11 meters!) and check out the gutters.  At least, I hope it's just the gutters! :mellow:

:thumb: