Limba 6 Multiscale Filter'Tron

Glued the bridge plate/pickup ring yesterday ...

After a bit more sanding, locating the bridge, and a few final tweaks, started to apply Odie's Oil.  It's become a little cooler, so this stuff is thick.  But as instructed, using a little abrasive pad (not sure, but #1500?), it starts to work into the wood.  I knew the Limba had some interesting things going on, but the oil really brings out all the wood "eddies" ... Cool!

:cheers2:

38294939802_f72a0f27e2_b.jpg

37639180304_a497147155_b.jpg

37639155134_e0f622ba26_b.jpg

38353213631_66c71a3326_b.jpg

38322490392_0e8a75fc65_b.jpg

38353186741_61d4306e87_b.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, charisjapan said:
38353186741_61d4306e87_b.jpg

I was discussing what causes that "micro ripple" effect in certain woods. You can see it here on your Padauk at the right-hand side. I've seen it prevalent in Zebrano, Wengé and a few other hard woods. It almost looks like miniature planer blade marks!

24 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I was discussing what causes that "micro ripple" effect in certain woods. You can see it here on your Padauk at the right-hand side. I've seen it prevalent in Zebrano, Wengé and a few other hard woods. It almost looks like miniature planer blade marks!

Indeed, Padauk has a lot of interesting things going on.  When carving the Mt.Fuji headstock area, there were lots of unusual “phenomena,” those micro ripples, strong mineral streaks, and something like a micro burl.  I’ll see if I can get a picture of it. Probably why I’m enjoying Padauk so much! Chinaberry has these effects, too.  Was really surprised by the White Limba in today’s post ... it’s like seeing water effects in a clear stream.  Weirdest so far is a Black Palm (Palmyra) fretboard blank I picked up at Woodcraft in Honolulu ... can’t wait to see wha5 that looks like sanded and oiled!

Mockup Time!

Still several applications (guess "coats" doesn't work) of Odie's Oil to go, but had to do a mockup to confirm bridge location and nut height (more honestly, to drool over my own build, and get a sense for balance and feel).  Looks like weight will be a little over/under 8 pounds (3.65g).  I wasn't really shooting for light weight, though Limba IS a light wood, but wanted a full 2 inches (51mm) of body thickness.  I could have thinned the body, made a larger controls cavity, or even taken off a tummy cut and arm contour ... but that would have made it too "stratty" (thought that might happen on Padauk Mt.Fuji #2 :);)).

38374748991_4d57ded539_b.jpg

38374748761_101ef84c5f_b.jpg

38374747641_e0dc7b15e8_b.jpg

38344522242_6aec2df6dd_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/12/2017 at 8:02 AM, Prostheta said:

I've always believed those are edge on rays.

SR

The ever-fantastic Paul over at Hobbit House said that he figured out what it was, then forgot. The best he can remember was that it has "something to do with either banded parenchyma or numerous evenly spaced tiny rays. Zebrawood does not have banded parenchyma but does have evenly spaced tiny rays, but I do not now see how they could lead to this characteristic."

It's a very distinctive and unique feature which a few woods seem to exhibit. I myself can't see a single determining factor either. Paul thinks that it is something ridiculously obvious but obviously forgettable as it seems!

Went downstairs to my shop, and under LED light ...  first pic is the other side of that bridge/ring, subsequent pics are the neck, a different piece of wood. So, we have clear growth rings, somewhat patterned open grain, and random mineral streaks. Then we have a pronounced chatoyance, bright red to dark blood red. Then those "whatevers," that look almost like machine marks, very regular, but they are also chatoyant ... moving side to side makes the light/dark reverse color. "Whatever" it is, it's pretty!  FWIW, I don't think rays, because I don't see them fan spreading or widening.

Fortunately, I don't seem to be allergic to Padauk, and I like the spicy aroma.  It's IS a bit on the heavy side ... I think I'll carve the other neck to a slim profile, a thinner headstock, and 22 frets ... which is all my daughter needs.

37693267214_5131fda865_b.jpg

24536709138_1b104a0cf8_b.jpg

38375938652_1498c8e2a2_b.jpg

38375938722_38bcf4285a_b.jpg

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is the basis of the conversation we had. It's just strange....

(Eerie background music  ...  and Rod Serling’s voice saying,

“There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.”)

Fifth application of Odie's Oil, and it's probably not going to make much difference to put on more. This is not Tung Oil or TruOil ... it's not made to build up and fill the grain which is fine for me. Except ... part of me wants to know what a few coats of opaque-ish amber lacquer would look like.

Anyone know if Odie's Oil can be lacquered? (for future reference)

Did string it up to test intonation, and was relieved to find that bass E was good, but very close to the saddle spring binding. I knew that the Hipshot 11 degree was a bit shallow for my 7th fret perpendicular multiscale, but the 18 degree too much angle. 15 degree would have been perfect, but no such animal available. Next time (?!?) I know what to do ... Live (build) and learn.

[IMG]

It might well be that Odie's Oil can be mixed with a varnish to make a building oil or wiping oil varnish of sorts. You would of course have to refer to the manufacturer for suggestions in that regard. It would remove some of the benefits, such as it being food safe, shelf life and the like, but a good question to ask even for reference and understanding.

We~l~l,

Mt. Vesuvius erupted and turned to ash.  Too much heat from the plug cutter, me guesses. I made another using a long 2-3mm taper drill bit drilled halfway into a chunk of Padauk, then with the drill spinning put it against the belt sander.  No smoke, no drama, new Mt. Vesuvius in 2 minutes ... this one not crispy.  This is my Controls Cavity Cover Magnetic Attachment Pole Height Adjuster Pedestal. No kidding.  Using a single neodymium 5mm magnet to hold the Padauk controls cavity cover, like my two Chinaberry basses ... but this one is much, much cooler! Just get the cover about an inch away, and it snaps in place very nicely.  Push the left corner and it pops right off. :):)

37841278244_fb7a276879_b.jpg

37841270174_05d443bdd2_b.jpg

37670073455_35bea181b2_b.jpg

26782007679_e6a7cf8458_b.jpg

26782013749_d86a7ef5aa_b.jpg