redwood wood

Dayam.  Sweet chunk of redwood.  I bought some "fiddleback" redwood (what Certainly Wood called it) back in '94 in which the waves were nearly 4" crest to crest.  It was the first cuttings of its kind back then, so its good to see it common now.   Your contouring is nice, and pretty interesting cutaway carves.  

Did you make the neck too?  Post more pics - show us the back, headstock, etc (unless this is a tease, and you'll reveal all later).  

Welcome to the forum!  

23 hours ago, ScottR said:

That is gorgeous! Did the softness of the wood give you any problems?

SR

this was a remarkably "hard" piece of redwood, I've had pieces that felt very "spongy" (kind of felt like balsa wood it was so soft) I sealed it with 2 coats of tru-oil and then tinted clear/straight clear  and it has yet to 'sink", I'll give it a couple more weeks before final buff and assembly incase I need to add a couple more coats.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:57 PM, StratsRdivine said:

Dayam.  Sweet chunk of redwood.  I bought some "fiddleback" redwood (what Certainly Wood called it) back in '94 in which the waves were nearly 4" crest to crest.  It was the first cuttings of its kind back then, so its good to see it common now.   Your contouring is nice, and pretty interesting cutaway carves.  

Did you make the neck too?  Post more pics - show us the back, headstock, etc (unless this is a tease, and you'll reveal all later).  

Welcome to the forum!  

The neck I made too..I will have more pics tonight once the latest coat of tru oil is dry.