335 style build....

Stumped me on the Ambrosia.  I had to look it up, and its evidently a type of maple.  Since I am making sheets now of simulated figure, I am studying all I can on wood figure types, and species that it occurs in.   

I have been a wood nerd since high school, nearly memorizing the book, "Know Your Woods" since buying it in '85, but I have been out of woodworking for the past ten years, so anyone out there know of other species in which quilt figure occurs besides maple, mahogany, and Sapele (pommelle is close enough)?  Also wondering what the market value is for 5A quilt in solid nowdays (prices seem all over the place, but around 175 for 2 sq ft  top blanks).

Great burst job.  Is that gun sprayed or rattle can?  

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, StratsRdivine said:

"........... Also wondering what the market value is for 5A quilt in solid nowdays (prices seem all over the place, but around 175 for 2 sq ft  top blanks).

Great burst job.  Is that gun sprayed or rattle can?  "

A "real" 5A quilted  billet (20" long 6-7" wide, 1-3/4-2" thick) high street price is -$230-$250. I've seen some pieces listed as 5A or "exhibition grade" that where very poor and way over priced. You can find them on ebay now and then and get lucky with the price.

The burst is all paint gun.

Edited by lvrpool32
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...