Wormy Birch

I've had some birch planks from a tree my father cut 13 years ago, they are all too wormy now. I made a tele of it some 4 yars ago, since then the worms ate a lot of the remainig wood. Looks so bad I had to try to make something useful of it. A guitar.

I let it bake in the oven to make sure there are no worms left. The board warped and shrunk a lot.

P1460899.JPG

P1460905.JPG

P1460907.JPG

P1460955.JPG

P1460957.JPG

Oh man, that's awesome! Your oven might have driven out some of the bound water that the wood needs to be in balance with its environment, so be careful. It might easily rebound and move the other direction. If I had done this, I would be tempted to leave the wood laying flat out of the sun and with good airflow for a week or two to see what it wants to do.

Not sure about resonance as such, as I would think that applies more to (more) consistent materials. It'll definitely alter the final instrument, however I'm unsure whether that would be the word to describe that change. It might shake the worms out! :thumb:

I let the body re-acclimatize for maybe three weeks. Actually the worm holes are completely filled with solid white powder, it is hard to remove. I tried 10Bar compressed air with little success,  had to use steel brush to remove the powder from the surface tunnels. Only the few fly-out holed are emty. Nothing will loosen with vibration.

BTW it plays like solid wood. And the neck is so nice, comfortable, and no nut buzz even without retainers. The biggest issue was hiding the lenght of pickup cables in the minimal cavities.

P1470186.JPG

P1470189.JPG

P1470190.JPG

P1470191.JPG

P1470193.JPG

• Like 4