24 Magnum

2 hours ago, sdshirtman said:

Nice job Chris. Its a stunner. Thats a crazy smooth finish. Did you use retarder? 

Thanks. Yes, I used about 5% retarder in the cut I shot on the top

On 7/25/2017 at 4:18 PM, ScottR said:

That finish looks so wet I'd be afraid to tilt it for fear it would pour off.

SR

Thats precisely why I mount round conduit to my neck pockets that then fit into holders that allow me to spin the body right after spraying to kill sags before they happen.  Not new, of course as the pros have the same spinny things, but the conduit / metal pipe idea was quick and easy.  

Crazy sweet spray job Chris!!!  It is a pleasure to wet sand flat, well flowed-out finishes to begin with.  

Pic below only shows one of the two pipe rests in the lower left corner, but you get the idea.  Spinning it while spraying is the best part, but spinning after done every few minutes kills any sag / run potential.  

CF-quilt-back-sprayshot.JPG

On 7/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, StratsRdivine said:

Thats precisely why I mount round conduit to my neck pockets that then fit into holders that allow me to spin the body right after spraying to kill sags before they happen.  Not new, of course as the pros have the same spinny things, but the conduit / metal pipe idea was quick and easy.  

Crazy sweet spray job Chris!!!  It is a pleasure to wet sand flat, well flowed-out finishes to begin with.  

Pic below only shows one of the two pipe rests in the lower left corner, but you get the idea.  Spinning it while spraying is the best part, but spinning after done every few minutes kills any sag / run potential.  

CF-quilt-back-sprayshot.JPG

Ive actually considered this very type of thing. Problem for me is that with only a couple exceptions all my builds are neck-through, This presents quite a challenge in determinie how to reliably mount it since theres no neck pocket or screw holes. I've come up with a couple ideas but havent actually tried anything. Ive seen devices that can hold the guitar in the pickup cavity bu that would prevent unobstructed access to the top for spraying and I'm not sure it its held securely enough to hold while its rotating...

RAD used to support his set necks with a stand that used a stout screw in the strap button location and a neck support on the other end. The would be easy enough to modify into something that rotates. I'm pretty sure there's a pic in that giant thread of his that's pinned in this section.

SR

I will be doing a set neck guitar soon, so I plan to mount a steel pin coming out of the butt strap lock and a threaded rod pin angling out of one of the tuner holes in the neck,(which would have expanding rubber bushing or two nuts and barely shouldered washers), so that the whole length would spin like a pig on a spit.  Less tasty, but more shiny pig.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its been hardening 2 weeks and still a couple to go, but its hard enough to take it off the hanger and get a few pix that give an idea what the finished product will look like.

Picture this with all the black hardware (pickups, rings, Floyd Rose, tuners, knobs) installed, as well as back and TR covers.

The lighting in these pix make the mahogany look a bit more yellow than it looks for real.

Of course the very minor orange peel and you can see on the top as well as the little crust of nitro along the fretboard edges will be gone too ;)

hyule189.jpg
face18.jpg
herd17.jpg
herd19.jpg
herd18.jpg
herd20.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/28/2017 at 5:00 PM, ScottR said:

RAD used to support his set necks with a stand that used a stout screw in the strap button location and a neck support on the other end. The would be easy enough to modify into something that rotates. I'm pretty sure there's a pic in that giant thread of his that's pinned in this section.

SR

This thing.

IMG_20140419_135200_zpsk3ztsqgp.jpgIMG_20140419_135059_zpsbs0kzfao.jpg

• Like 1

On 16/08/2017 at 5:08 PM, Skyjerk said:

Well, its been hardening 2 weeks and still a couple to go, but its hard enough to take it off the hanger and get a few pix that give an idea what the finished product will look like.

Picture this with all the black hardware (pickups, rings, Floyd Rose, tuners, knobs) installed, as well as back and TR covers.

The lighting in these pix make the mahogany look a bit more yellow than it looks for real.

Of course the very minor orange peel and you can see on the top as well as the little crust of nitro along the fretboard edges will be gone too ;)

hyule189.jpg
face18.jpg
herd17.jpg
herd19.jpg
herd18.jpg
herd20.jpg

This is super duper scrumptiously lovely....

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sanded and buffed. Still need to clean some compound out of some cracks and crevices...

sometime in the next two or three days I'll level, crown, and polish the frets, and then put it all together.

Just a couple days from finished guitar :)

shiny17.jpg

shiny19.jpg

shiny18.jpg

shiny20.jpg

shiny27.jpg

shiny28.jpg

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Holy shit, that looks fun. How's it working on you therapeutically Chris?

Well, as any activity that focuses my mind and occupies my hands its very helpful. Being busy works for me right now.

Emotionally, the inlays and such keep me connected to my son, which I really need.

This guitar is only a part of my overall project. The very last time I saw my son in person while he was still living, I recorded a few tracks in my recording studio with him singing against a really crappy backing track. He hated the way he sounded (typical). He actually sounded really good. I was unable to make myself listen to this until only two weeks ago. It was hard.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to dump the backing track, and re-record it all using real instruments. Of course I'll be doing the guitar tracks (using this build), I have the drummer from my band thats going to do drums, and a former bass player that will do the bass. I'll do backing vocals. My brother is going to play keys. Gonna make this into a bad-ass tune. I'd always dreamed of one day jamming with Chris, this is the best I'll get and while not exactly what I had in mind I'm grateful I have this much,