LP Jr Special DC Korina relic

My current 'on deck' builds are/were:
-8-string multiscale with complicated inlay
-a semi-hollow built around a custom set of Trisonics with Greg Fryer parts and a BM RS-like trem.

So what do I do but push another new build in front of the line. Best laid plans . . .
I've had a set of custom wound P90s sitting around, wound by Clint Searcy.  I don't even remember when I had them made. I've got a good start on previous build that uses a neck through korina, and already has the truss route and carbon bars epoxied in.

Korina LP Jr Doublecut special
My intentions are not to create a straight up replica, but to keep the essence and have my way with it

-white limba / korina neck through
-right now it's 25" scale, but I may cave in and make it 24.75"
-Macassar ebony fingerboard, with MOP 1/4" dots. I may freak out and do edge rectangles or something
-set of these P90s (8.6k), only because I have them. I may freak out and only use one in the spirit of this thing.
-Kluson 3+3, nickel
-vintage Leo Quann Badass wraparound, but I'm using a locking stud kinda like TonePros. 
-I really want to relic it, IDK why. Create mojo? It just feels right, and I'll never do it again, and it's fun. The Quann is pretty beat so everything should match? The Klusons are nickel relic. I have relic strap buttons, screws, and am looking at every knob ever made to try to find the right ones. There are some insanely relic'd/rusted domes on Ebay that look kinda fun.
-black pickguard, or black 3-ply. Looked at tortoise . . . not sure.
-I was thinking thin nitro finish, then freeze / heat cycles to craze it for even more relic fun.

I've sourced a set of templates because I'm lazy, want it to be accurate, and because I'm lazy.
Not sure if I will do the 2 pup/4 knob plus switch, or 2 pup / 2 knob plus switch, or 1 pup / 2 knob. I'm open to votes on anything.

Lastly, in the last day I've considered top facing it with the large ebony 'plates' (1/8" x 21" x ~7") I've been waiting to use on the right thing. This one has me really intrigued, but might change the vintage aesthetics? Please weigh in.

All parts here or on the way, I've got the wood and the neck-through already built, and a fire in my belly.

Here's the ebony. I'm not sure either, it would make for a very dark front along with a black or ebony headstock face, ebony FB. Everything on the back would be all goldeny korina. I'll do some really rough mockups on the 'puter this weekend. 

I keep thinking it would be sweet to make it slightly deeper and semi-hollow too, but I think I'm just getting overexcited with options.

ebony.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Minor progress:

I've been steeped in this build mentally for a month, gathering parts, trying to focus aesthetic and design decisions. My goal is the 'spirit' of a late 50s/early 60s Gibson korina doublecut. Maybe a little Melody Maker, maybe a little 58 korina V, etc.

I've got templates, the neckthrough korina spine, two bridge options- a black Quan Badass and a Gretsch MIJ copy that would need some relic to blend. Also two FB options, macassar or straight Gaboon black.

I've considered ebony top but nixed that, not authentic feeling. I've also considered this ridiculous flame top. I was thinking a Joe Perry Boneyard like finish, kinda butterscotch blonde with a rough splotchy flame coming through. It's hard to beat plain Korina though, so probably straight thin coat nitro.

I need to come up with my own pick guard as I've got two P90 and don't love the Gibson one. Something like the SG, or even the PRS Vela would be cool.

I'll do some light relicing to even out parts. Some of these are already old, some are new!

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

After measuring the neckthrough that started as another build, the headstock real estate is too small. Also, I'll need more neck angle. So, I'm considering recutting the headstock face to get my length, this will move into the carbon bars but they are plenty long to extend into the body also. Then, I'm thinking of cutting a tenon on the other end. Theres enough to do whatever I could imagine.

If this is my path, I'm also considering gluing up a body blank with angled grain, exactly like the 58 korina V. . . . but I'm trying to restrain any ornament as I want the whole thing to be subtle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:03 PM, ScottR said:

It could be sweet. @RestorationAD made an ebony topped SS a few years back that looked right wicked. He said it sounded like a pure beast. I believe it became one of his favorites. I'm pretty sure that one had a 3/8" top.

SR

Last all hand built S9. I got the machine a few weeks later.

P2020424.jpg

You guys can drive for a few hours while I catch some sleep in the back. Wake me up when we get to the rest stop!

I've been busy cleaning the shop and then veneering some speakers. I'll be done this weekend, then have a turntable plinth to re-veneer, but will get this LP Jr going again. Build updates: no ebony top, neck will be set instead of neck through. One day I considered, multi-scale, but was quickly overcome with thoughts of guilt and blasphemy.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2017 at 3:18 PM, komodo said:

You guys can drive for a few hours while I catch some sleep in the back. Wake me up when we get to the rest stop!

I've been busy cleaning the shop and then veneering some speakers. I'll be done this weekend, then have a turntable plinth to re-veneer, but will get this LP Jr going again. Build updates: no ebony top, neck will be set instead of neck through. One day I considered, multi-scale, but was quickly overcome with thoughts of guilt and blasphemy.

I too have considered multiscale. Something about a 24.75 - 26 perpendicular at the 9th... then I remember I don't feel like building custom pickups and using single string bridges.

Yep. For this one it would've been a smaller spread, and negligible result. Just a flight of fancy for a minute or two. For the 8-string I'd like to build it would be functional in evening string tensions and the single string bridges and pups were considered from day 1.

That said, here's my "beer for doing projects other than getting on with this build."

IMG_4013.JPG

• Like 1