Kemp Guitars 2017-18 Build Thread

34 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

What's your personal opinions on Sapele vs Khaya? I absolutely adore the latter for its airy lightness and feel when (properly) dry. To me, Sapele is heavier/denser, far more fractious with tearout plus checking and reaction wood is much more common. I used the last of my Sapele up in a Flying V body just to try and use the weight to my advantage. I'll only be buying Khaya from hereonout.

I know fully that there are differences between the two dependent on where they grew.....Ghanaian Sapele is better than others from what I recall. Not that we get much idea of provenance once the wood has been through the first two levels of dealers.

Hey Prostheta 

I don't think I've ever used Khaya TBH so can't really give you my views on that. However, I've not experienced any of the issues you've described with Sapele. 

I've been using Sipo a lot lately since my Sapele supplier switched to it. Apparently it's more stable, again I've never had any issues with Sapele in that respect. Sipo (Utile) is pretty much identical - rough sawn I only knew what I had when I got to the sales desk. It's not as pretty as Sapele, lacks the ribbon figure of a quartersawn board, and doesn't smell as nice.

@KempGuitars forgive the thread derailment- 

@Prostheta-I find your comment on Khaya interesting- and I am wondering if perhaps your area is getting a different species of Khaya than what I have here in the southeastern US. I built a Carl Thompson copy out of Khaya several years back and while the wood was nice to work with- it was heavy as hell. that bass was over 10lbs (four string). I have a couple different boards from different suppliers and a couple body blanks and they are all the same- heavy. I do love the ribbon stripes in that wood though. I actually quit using it due to the weight. TBH- its probably marginally lighter/same weight compared to some of my Eastern Maple- though I dont have equal size boards to compare to so that is a guess. . 

I'm guessing that you got Sapele. Khaya doesn't exhibit those ribbons. It would fit the description of Sapele anyway. 

Like I said, regional provenance seems to matter a lot. This seems to describe its properties perfectly:

http://thompsonmahogany.com/african-mahogany-vs-sapele-vs-utile/

Khaya Ivorensis is one of my favourite woods, definitely. Responsive but retains the warm characteristics one expects from Mahogany substitutes. 

41 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

@KempGuitars forgive the thread derailment- 

@Prostheta-I find your comment on Khaya interesting- and I am wondering if perhaps your area is getting a different species of Khaya than what I have here in the southeastern US. I built a Carl Thompson copy out of Khaya several years back and while the wood was nice to work with- it was heavy as hell. that bass was over 10lbs (four string). I have a couple different boards from different suppliers and a couple body blanks and they are all the same- heavy. I do love the ribbon stripes in that wood though. I actually quit using it due to the weight. TBH- its probably marginally lighter/same weight compared to some of my Eastern Maple- though I dont have equal size boards to compare to so that is a guess. . 

No problem, all relevant to what we are doing 👍 

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

??

The picture in your link exhibits ribbon figure as does the Khaya I've used in the past.

SR

I wonder where all this overlap comes from then. My old Carl Thompson style bass was definitely Sapele. That's what I would regard as ribboning! I'm starting to think that I'm getting crossed wires from being told something is something else. The "Khaya" I have is all more like the photos of Utile, with the black pores and flat even finish. I don't believe that my local supplier has ever carried Utile (that he says or is aware of) so I'm left in the dark somewhat. Ah crap.

finishing2.jpg

Next batch of builds on the bench... Maple necks with Flame Maple, Richlite (again) and Wenge fretboards. Bodies in Ash, Sipo, Korina and Sipo with Flame Maple top. Doesn't look too fancy at the moment but they will when "finished" 1f600.png

28056838_1228910443918966_47274075513947

In the meantime, finally got the Pinky Dinky on the blanket today... Frets sorted and shielding (rear cavity and pup rout) done ready for assembly and setup tomorrow 1f642.png

28059028_1228917857251558_69207895856723

Edited by Guest

Introducing the Pinky Dinky 1f601.png

Mahogany/Alder 3-and-a-bit-piece SS body, Maple (reverse F-style) neck, Richlite fretboard, Gotoh fixed bridge (Cosmo Black), Gotoh 381 tuners (Cosmo Black), Irongear "Metal Machine" pup and Amaranth Red matte finish

kemp-guitars-superstrat-like-dinky-gotoh

kemp-guitars-superstrat-like-dinky-sorry

kemp-guitars-superstrat-like-dinky-pink-

kemp-guitars-superstrat-like-dinky-irong

Edited by Guest

On 2/21/2018 at 1:41 PM, Mr Natural said:

@KempGuitars 3 things

1) you can never get rid of that blanket

2) the pinky looks fantastic. I am jealous of your paint jobs- so clean. you obviously go the mile+ in prep and it shows. Well done man. 

3)-is there ever sawdust in your shop? I am not sure I have seen a pic yet with "dust". :thumb:

Hey,

No, that blanket is staying - I've no plans for any more kids!! ;)

TBH, the reason my paintwork looks the way it does is because I only spray matte. I stopped spraying altogether a couple of years ago due to time restraints and workload. If it wasn't for the matte clear, I still wouldn't be spraying. Okay, yes the prep is equally important, but it is much easier to get top class results from matte paint. The additional agents in gloss are what make it more prone to orange peel and slower curing times. The stuff I use (2k Polyurethane) cures enough to start assembly within three days at the moment and that's in the winter. In summer, it'll be even less time. I also get out of all that wet sanding and polishing... That was the time issue in the past, especially when I have other dusty stuff going on... Dust and fresh paint do not mix!

Saw dust...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

:D

On 2/21/2018 at 4:29 PM, Prostheta said:

The blanket counts half a point towards an obligatory foot shot.

Simple is usually the most difficult, and like has been said, that's clean work that shows you're paying attention to pre-paint prep. It underlines the importance of it completely. Bravo.

As above, prep definitely contributes most to the finishes achieved. Matte still won't hide scratches, dings or dips :)

On 2/21/2018 at 6:10 PM, Pariahrob said:

Well damn you! Now I ‘need’ a pink superstrat! 

Sorry, Had to get that off my chest. 

It's good to get it off your chest :D

On 2/21/2018 at 6:15 PM, Norris said:

You are a spray gun wizard. Fabulous finish!

Thanks Norris... As above.

Sorry for being lazy with the "see above" all-in-one replies :)

Edited by Guest

What's been happening in the Kemp workshop this week so far...

Firstly, sorting out some wood for the new batch of customs just started, including this Ash (custom 7-string SD carvetop) body with Maple neck and Flame Maple fretboard...

28467758_1233609156782428_24739456512576

And today I've been carving the Leopardwood neck...

28378558_1234172953392715_74249261678451

28279045_1234172960059381_32760616359456

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, JimF said:

Deary me the curve on that heel is pure art! Fantastic work as always! I had my eye on the pinky dinky on eBay but my bank balance said no :D

Thanks Jim, appreciated. 

Yep, the Pinky Dinky is as good as gone now... That is when the courier can actually reach me to collect it! 

19 minutes ago, JimF said:

Oh don’t start me on couriers and the snow! Along with Work I’ve also got the joys of selling bits from my race car (another expensive hobby) to fund guitar building, and living up a steep hill at the top of a high village!

Sounds like how it would've been if we'd not moved six months ago. That said, I'm living in town now and the roads are still bad due to lack of gritting. My Subaru was struggling so I daren't think about driving to here in a transit. Okay, we're not use to snow but the weather people have been warning us about this for at least a week prior to it happening and the council has done feck all to prepare. It's probably the same where you are, they don't worry about the back roads, country roads, etc. Grrr 😡

100% the same. There’s a grit deposit station (correct term?) within 5 miles of my house and my street has never been gritted since I’ve lived here!

You can’t beat a Subaru! I’ve got fond memories of a few winters ago in my race prepped Subaru with slick track tyres and bucket seats driving past the struggling BMW X5 types who couldn’t get traction! :D

Anyway! To get back on track, regarding spraying your matte finishes, is the paint “ordinary” and it’s a matte lacquer, or is the paint different as well?

Would you ever take on foreigner spray jobs if a body was to magically arrive from the North West one day? :lol: