Kemp Guitars 2017-18 Build Thread

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Threaded inserts and hex bolts on the pickups too? Nice.

Oh definitely. Lost count of (and got fed up with) how many pickup mounting screws have lost their bite in bodies after multiple pickup height adjustments.

PS Happy to advise on sourcing the inserts and bolts if anyone would like to do the same :)

1 hour ago, KempGuitars said:

Oh definitely. Lost count of (and got fed up with) how many pickup mounting screws have lost their bite in bodies after multiple pickup height adjustments.

PS Happy to advise on sourcing the inserts and bolts if anyone would like to do the same :)

Yes please. Would love to find a good supplier. Mine only has them sporadically. 

1 hour ago, Pariahrob said:

Yes please. Would love to find a good supplier. Mine only has them sporadically. 

I get my inserts and bolts off eBay as it worked out much cheaper. I also got the two components from separate buyers - I couldn't find a supplier that did both insert and suitable bolt. However, just checking my eBay Watch List and the bolts aren't listed :(

The inserts are here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M2x6mmx3-5mm-Female-Threaded-Brass-Knurled-Insert-Embedded-Nuts-Gold-Tone-30pcs/361483173291?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&_mwBanner=1

I bought a couple hundred of bolts a few months ago so I'll have to sift through my accounts and find a receipt for that last purchase. Sorry. 

Time to reveal the latest Kemp build in all its glory... Had a real hard time selecting pics for this one. There's 8 on the website but here's (I think) the best handful...

Custom 8-string DC - Wenge/Maple thru-neck, Ziricote drop-top on Sapele (stained) body wings, Multiscale Bocote fretboard, Hipshot fixed bridge, Gotoh 381 Magnum Lock tuners, Bare Knuckle Pickups Aftermath set and Tru-Oil finish

kemp-guitars-custom-8-string-multiscale-

Edited by Guest

Wow, I love that neck!

And the gold hardware is really nice too. Usually I'm not a big fan but it looks great with that ziricote.

Out of personal interest, would you like to explain me how you get a finish like this with tru-oil?
I've tried it on my first guitar and I couldn't get results anywhere close to yours. 
I'm pretty sure my application technique is the main culprit, but I had a hard time trying to get a gloss finish.
Can it be buffed the same as a lacquer finish? Also I used polymerized tru-oil if it makes a difference.

Thanks

On 1/25/2018 at 12:03 PM, Norris said:

Simply gorgeous!

Thanks Norris :)

On 1/25/2018 at 1:52 PM, Polymaker said:

Wow, I love that neck!

And the gold hardware is really nice too. Usually I'm not a big fan but it looks great with that ziricote.

Out of personal interest, would you like to explain me how you get a finish like this with tru-oil?
I've tried it on my first guitar and I couldn't get results anywhere close to yours. 
I'm pretty sure my application technique is the main culprit, but I had a hard time trying to get a gloss finish.
Can it be buffed the same as a lacquer finish? Also I used polymerized tru-oil if it makes a difference.

Thanks

I almost prefer the back of this one to the front... If it was anything other than Ziricote on the front!

Same with the gold, both me and my client agreed that gold would look great against the Ziricote.

Tru-Oil can be used in different ways. The technique I used on this build was many light coats rubbed in, finishing with a couple of slightly wet coats using thinned Tru-Oil - rubbed on "just enough" to see wet streaks. Light wire wool between coats (I don't normally use that stuff because the fibres can be a pain in the backside, but use it real light so you don't start shedding fibres). The end result is a semi/low-gloss with no pore fill.

As ScottR says (below), Yes, Tru-Oil can be levelled and polished...

19059853_1070963173047028_17346740668723

Can also be levelled and rubbed out to a satin/matte look...

kemp-gallery-39.jpg

I prefer the method used on this one (the latest build). For me, the idea of using oil and Tru-Oil (polymerised linseed and other oils, additives, etc) is to give the guitar a natural finish with pores and grain showing through.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:18 PM, FINEFUZZ said:

Ziricote +gold hardware, it looks so classic. 

It is quite a contrast when you compare this one to the pink one.  I don't know which one I like better.

Classic is the look we wanted :)

Ahh, the Pinky Dinky... RIP :(

On 1/25/2018 at 2:34 PM, ScottR said:

Tru-Oil can be be leveled and polished like lacquer.

SR

:thumb:

Edited by Guest

On to something else now... Leopardwood top sanded to 80 grit will be paired up with the Leopardwood/Pale Moon Ebony neck recently posted... Also to be finished in Tru-Oil 

26907231_1212769448866399_16120782668868

Edited by Guest

So, that Leopardwood...

In progress: Custom DC 6-string - Leopardwood thru-neck, Leopardwood/Ebony laminated top on Alder body (wings), Pale Moon Ebony fretboard, Tonepros T3BT Tune-O-Matic bridge, Gotoh 510 tuners and Fishman Fluance Modern pups...

27072632_1213498345460176_56292002618769

Edited by Guest

The resurrection of the "Pinky Dinky"... Part 1

Decided to remove the whole damaged area of the SS body, taking it as far back as the rear cover recess. I found a piece of Alder almost big enough to replace the missing section of the body, but it did need a bit extra for which I used a Sipo offcut...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

Leaving this overnight now. May or may not get more done tomorrow but part 2 soon :)

Edited by Guest

The resurrection of the "Pinky Dinky"... Part 2

Unclamped this morning and rough shaped on the bandsaw before getting to work with my 12" long sanding block. Levelled the new wood flush with the paintwork before going at the whole thing (front and back) to remove the best part of the original blue and pink finish. More or less ready for sealing and refinishing now, but that will have to wait a couple of days now...

repair5.jpg&key=39ed07a11b07376ff32a68b8

repair6.jpg&key=50e6b35f88bf9df957783be3

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Excellent! Time to get a neck on and call it done!

Ah crap, you messed it up again.

No, the latter is not messed up, that's the uber-relic! 

18 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Slap a couple of red and black stripes on it, bolt on the hardware and start playin' the thing.

SR

But then I did think about some graffiti tags over it and then calling it the urban-relic or derelict-relic... Getting out of hand now :P

Just now, KempGuitars said:

No, the latter is not messed up, that's the uber-relic! 

But then I did think about some graffiti tags over it and then calling it the urban-relic or derelict-relic... Getting out of hand now :P

Seriously though, I'm thinking solid burst on this. Fresh canvas and something I've not done in a while :)

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, KempGuitars said:

I get my inserts and bolts off eBay as it worked out much cheaper. I also got the two components from separate buyers - I couldn't find a supplier that did both insert and suitable bolt. However, just checking my eBay Watch List and the bolts aren't listed :(

The inserts are here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M2x6mmx3-5mm-Female-Threaded-Brass-Knurled-Insert-Embedded-Nuts-Gold-Tone-30pcs/361483173291?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&_mwBanner=1

I bought a couple hundred of bolts a few months ago so I'll have to sift through my accounts and find a receipt for that last purchase. Sorry. 

Thanks for this! I'm off to find a US vendor. This thread is full of win!!!

One quick question though. how do you attach those types of inserts into the wood? Do you use Epoxy?

Edited by SOLLYGTRS

53 minutes ago, SOLLYGTRS said:

Thanks for this! I'm off to find a US vendor. This thread is full of win!!!

One quick question though. how do you attach those types of inserts into the wood? Do you use Epoxy?

Glad to help :)

The inserts are threaded on the outside as well and screw into the wood. If done correctly, they'll hold up to a hell of a lot more pressure/torque than is applied to the actual neck to body attachment.