Kemp Guitars 2017-18 Build Thread

25 minutes ago, SOLLYGTRS said:

I'm new here and I'm currently working on only my second guitar, but this thread has given me so much inspiration. I love these guitars and the pink guitar is badass! I miss those old shredder days!

Welcome to Project Guitar :)

That white DC3 now ready to go. I wasn't sure about this body shape after making the Sapele archtop prototype in October. I said back then that I'd have to make another and paint it... Here it is and I'm happier with it now.

DC3 #2: Alder body (flat top), 3-piece Wenge/Sapele neck (bolt-on), African Ebony fretboard (25.5" scale length), Gotoh fixed bridge/381 tuners, Irongear "Steam Hammer" pickups, coil split mini-switch and matte Signal White PU finish.

26231495_1203815516428459_86594308437324

26220159_1203815569761787_37055609259958

26904271_1203815633095114_68729336751268

26229678_1204653619677982_13194804398283

Edited by Guest

On 1/19/2018 at 2:55 PM, FINEFUZZ said:

Wow, that is an crazy grain and color.  I am not familiar with Ziricote.

Ziricote is stunning stuff, I love it. Here's another I used some on...

kemp-gallery-76.jpg

Edited by Guest

On 1/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Pariahrob said:

Awesome! I love the white but that ziricote is something else. One of my favourite woods.

Question for you: Where do you get your thin body laminates? I can't find them in the uk very easily.

Good taste ;)

Do you mean the black veneer sandwiched between the body and top?

18403454_1050661398410539_85213703662511

I use Veneer Hub for standard 0.6mm coloured veneer. 

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Do tell.

Had an accident... The body fell to the floor in the spray booth, landed on that weaker (rear cavity wall) edge and that was it. Annoyed that I had just finished the respray - and thinking at that point I would be scraping it - I did then kick it across the floor. They're clean breaks so a bit of Titebond and clamping pressure from all sides should see it as good as new soon enough. No different to gluing a multipiece body together :D although I would like to add that I wouldn't do this if it was a custom order. 

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

Had an accident... The body fell to the floor in the spray booth, landed on that weaker (rear cavity wall) edge and that was it. Annoyed that I had just finished the respray - and thinking at that point I would be scraping it - I did then kick it across the floor. They're clean breaks so a bit of Titebond and clamping pressure from all sides should see it as good as new soon enough. No different to gluing a multipiece body together :D although I would like to add that I wouldn't do this if it was a custom order. 

After the sheer quantity of immaculately clean builds you've paraded before us, it's nice to know you're human <_<

Your builds look so precise and pristine, that they almost appear to be produced be a machine....each one as perfect and precise as the one before it. The idea that you might have to respray one, to correct a fault (even if that is not the reason for the respray) or accidentally dropped one and kicked it across the floor in a fit of pique, let's us know that you are human too.

Like the rest of us.:D

It's a sincere compliment.:thumb:

SR

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Your builds look so precise and pristine, that they almost appear to be produced be a machine....each one as perfect and precise as the one before it. The idea that you might have to respray one, to correct a fault (even if that is not the reason for the respray) or accidentally dropped one and kicked it across the floor in a fit of pique, let's us know that you are human too.

Like the rest of us.:D

It's a sincere compliment.:thumb:

SR

Thanks ScottR (and Prostheta) for the compliment :) There have been plenty times when things have gone pear-shaped in the past, usually working around them or fixes that have resolved the problem... Although not usually this (Pinky Dinky) bad!

I admire the honesty of it also. Too many builders hide their faults, dress their photos and selectively release information to give a limited snapshot of the truth. Whilst full disclosure and information overload is not necessarily good either, it's good to remain grounded in some way, especially when a lot of people read these progress threads for inspiration and encouragement. It's not a perfect world, things don't always transpire flawlessly. It is what it is.

• Like 1