Kemp Guitars 2017-18 Build Thread

1 hour ago, JimF said:

100% the same. There’s a grit deposit station (correct term?) within 5 miles of my house and my street has never been gritted since I’ve lived here!

You can’t beat a Subaru! I’ve got fond memories of a few winters ago in my race prepped Subaru with slick track tyres and bucket seats driving past the struggling BMW X5 types who couldn’t get traction! :D

Anyway! To get back on track, regarding spraying your matte finishes, is the paint “ordinary” and it’s a matte lacquer, or is the paint different as well?

Would you ever take on foreigner spray jobs if a body was to magically arrive from the North West one day? :lol:

... And they want us to pay more council tax!? 🤔

I use matte and gloss paints. The clear is matte - Spraymax 2k.

I'm sure I could find time for "foreigner spray jobs" 😉 Give us a shout any time... Except right now. Matte clear is fantastic for curing without much heat, but this is too cold. Was lucky with the Pinky Dinky, got that done just in time. 

29 minutes ago, SOLLYGTRS said:

Mr Kemp,

Do you oil your Wenge fretboards or do you leave them unfinished?

Thanks,

Solly

Hey Mr Solly

I tend to rub in a coat of regular lemon oil just to darken up the Wenge. Generally, it's not necessary - same as Wenge necks which are sometimes left "raw". 

☺️

2 hours ago, Norris said:

It's like... how much more flame could it be? And the answer is none... none more flame

Flame Maple pup rings and knobs 😁

I'm not but that would be the icing on the cake

12 minutes ago, Norris said:

You didn't catch the Spinal Tap paraphrase? :D

I thought of Spinal Tap when I read your post but couldn't think of the scene. Smell The Glove black sleeve. I haven't watched the film in a while 😛

About to get to work on finishing the Leopardwood DC - been waiting two weeks for Tru-Oil delivery. In the meantime, the latest batch of (Maple) necks now ready for carving. This will be done after the bodies have been routed out and are ready for finishing...

28950917_1241596165983727_10510974421554

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, Pariahrob said:

That’s gorgeous! That’s great work but cool materials too. I’m surprised how red that leopard wood looks. Very tasty!

Thanks Pariahrob. It does look great, doesn't it.  I'll do another video when it's finished... There is that Leopardwood top on the front to show off yet :)

It's full steam ahead with the next build whilst I'm slapping those Tru-Oil coats on the Leopardwood DC. In all it's Maple glory... it's another 6-string custom DC. The finish on this is going to be quite exquisite, but you'll have to wait until it's done to find out what it will look like :D

29511076_1248948208581856_15719244694615

29472531_1248948181915192_54392743288666

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, JimF said:

That looks sweet! I have a soft spot for HS guitars

I have to agree with you there... I didnt before though. I think it's the single coil pickup I don't like the look of, but, silly as it sounds, I love the look of the hot rails 👍