Kemp Guitars 2017-18 Build Thread

Yes, unfortunately the only way to mix active and passive is to effectively 'activate' the passive pickup, which may turn people off the idea ('how dare you make my passive Lollar an active pickup!?'). Either way, it's a fine looking guitar you've pulled together. Hope your client is pleased with the outcome :thumb:

11 hours ago, curtisa said:

Yes, unfortunately the only way to mix active and passive is to effectively 'activate' the passive pickup, which may turn people off the idea ('how dare you make my passive Lollar an active pickup!?'). Either way, it's a fine looking guitar you've pulled together. Hope your client is pleased with the outcome :thumb:

Thanks for responding... And for your kind words. 

Don't know if it has anything to do with it or not bur effectively there was (is) two circuits in the guitar... 

Fishmans each to their own vol/voice push-pull, wired to a 3 way toggle selector switch. Switch to tone pot then wired to a 2-way mini switch. 

The Lollar single coil wired to its own vol pot then to the 2-way mini switch.

The 2-way switch is wired to the jack. 

I would've thought switching to the Lollar would completely cut the Fishman circuit and give us the Lollar output, and vice versa. 

It didn't. There was nothing from the Lollar. Selecting the Fishman circuit, I had both neck and bridge live, regardless of the position of the 3-way switch. The volume, tone and voicing push-pulls had no effect whatsoever. 

There is also the Fishman USB charger pack installed. Positive connected to both pickups, ground to the Fishman tone (where I also took the ground to bridge) and a third "switch" wire also connected to the jack (I assume kills the battery pack when no jack plugged in). This means there was never a complete break in the circuit, regardless of the 2-way switch position, but it was only the battery positive and ground connected to the Fishman circuit. The output was still going through the 2-way mini switch. Is it. Possible something was amiss here? Hope that all makes sense 🤔

I reckon we'd need to see some pics/diagrams of the circuitry to make any real suggestions. That sounds like you have at least two issues to resolve - a non-working three-way switch for the two humbuckers and no output from the single.

All grounds should be shared. That means that the ground of the Fishman circuit, the bridge ground and the ground on the Lollar circuit all need to be wired together.

4 hours ago, curtisa said:

I reckon we'd need to see some pics/diagrams of the circuitry to make any real suggestions. That sounds like you have at least two issues to resolve - a non-working three-way switch for the two humbuckers and no output from the single.

All grounds should be shared. That means that the ground of the Fishman circuit, the bridge ground and the ground on the Lollar circuit all need to be wired together.

Not to worry, the guitar is gone now but thank you. I did think I should've drawn a diagram before sending but it's going to be looked at by someone else now

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Trying to keep out of the sun and heat, the coolest place in the house right now is the office so I thought I'd go through some recent photos and post a general "what I'm up to at the moment" :)

So, there are a few custom builds and a couple of stock builds in progress at the moment. All early days apart from one which I sprayed yesterday and is ready for clear coat tomorrow. Remember this colour? I had to do it again...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

The other builds are just started with blanks machined, body shapes routed and scarf joints ready to glue. Includes some Flame Maple, Quilted Maple, Swamp Ash and more tasty wood-goodness...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

And believe it or not, in nine years of building, this is the first time I've made a Flame Maple neck...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

Edited by Guest

Before I get on with this lot...

37294451_1344678242342185_18067587813972

Why not enjoy my latest "bridge-only-pickup" build in the fantastic Kiwi Green...

Full spec: Poplar body, Maple three-piece bolt-on neck w/ non-reversed head, Richlite fretboard, WD Music fixed bridge, Gotoh 381 Series Magnum Lock tuners, Kent Armstrong Super Distortion pickup and, of course, that Kiwi Green finish :)

37022981_1339067462903263_16183740038968

37037239_1339067466236596_18235056362734

37028717_1339067472903262_76288405216994

37027523_1339067566236586_58577110323481

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Is that a texture on the paint? It looks nice either way.

Thanks Prostheta. 

There is a slight texture to the clear coat. If I'm honest, this one (being a stock build) was rushed a bit. It notices visually but you don't feel it. 

I like the idea of a textured solid colour that isn't dark. You know, the tedious greys and blacks you get which just don't look that amazing when you live with them. I've been working on tests for a finish with a more durable low-maintenance satin-y cherry, like nitro that's been knocked back....a bit of texture doesn't go amiss with "real" colours. Too much solid looks like plastic.

17 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I like the idea of a textured solid colour that isn't dark. You know, the tedious greys and blacks you get which just don't look that amazing when you live with them. I've been working on tests for a finish with a more durable low-maintenance satin-y cherry, like nitro that's been knocked back....a bit of texture doesn't go amiss with "real" colours. Too much solid looks like plastic.

It's never perfectly flat (like it would if I sanded it) but I like it and so do those who own one of my matte finish guitars. 

This is what allowed me start spraying again. I had issues with workload in the past when doing gloss finishes. Not only does matte clear take less time to cure, but it's ready to go as soon as it's cured - avoiding all that wet sanding and polishing... And I love the matte look ☺ 

I don't really have any experience with other matte clear coat products or techniques for creating a matte (or satin) finish from gloss. How are these tests coming along? 

So-so. I'm having a few product issues that I'm discussing with the manufacturer re: curing. I got some from a newly formulated batch and I'm not quite convinced yet. On paper it should be a market winning product that suits guitar makers perfectly, however I think there are still bugs to rattle out.

34 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

So-so. I'm having a few product issues that I'm discussing with the manufacturer re: curing. I got some from a newly formulated batch and I'm not quite convinced yet. On paper it should be a market winning product that suits guitar makers perfectly, however I think there are still bugs to rattle out.

Sounds interesting. Hope you get the issues resolved and it all works out well... Then let us know ☺ 

37 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Clean, and looks like it was designed with a manufacturer's eye for efficiency. How many revisions and upgrades did your templating go through?

Thanks P 👍

TBH, this one is pretty much the same shape and size as the Dinky so it's a tried and tested design. 

Still, from the viewpoint of repeatability it seems that you've invested time in your process. Things like getting clean truss rod access placement, good alignment, etc. If you're working guitar to guitar, it's still good of course....I just love pouring my thought into process and having clean results as expected come out of the other end. Like a better mousetrap.

11 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Still, from the viewpoint of repeatability it seems that you've invested time in your process. Things like getting clean truss rod access placement, good alignment, etc. If you're working guitar to guitar, it's still good of course....I just love pouring my thought into process and having clean results as expected come out of the other end. Like a better mousetrap.

Well, yeah, as any good builder does, I keep master copies of templates and have devised various jigs/setups for processes such as truss rod channels, etc. Those processes and details are then reproduced accurately and clean on every build :) 

10 hours ago, FINEFUZZ said:

super-sexy binding.  oh yeah baby

I don't use much binding nowadays but it does look good around the Flame Maple. Got another build coming up wrapped in binding too :D

2 minutes ago, KempGuitars said:

Well, yeah, as any good builder does, I keep master copies of templates and have devised various jigs/setups for processes such as truss rod channels, etc. Those processes and details are then reproduced accurately and clean on every build :)

This is the part I enjoy most to be fair. I produced a set of drilling and routing jigs for a modified single-piece multiscale Tele hybrid which work perfectly from piece to piece. There's a lot of beauty to be had in knowing that chance has been factored out, and that each workpiece is as perfect as can be without need of holding your breath or otherwise worrying.

• 2 weeks later...

All that Flame Maple ^

Has now become this, Kemp's latest creation...

Full spec: Custom 6-string SS leftie, Black Limba body with Flame Maple top, 5-pce Wenge/Ash neck, Ziricote fretboard, Gotoh fixed bridge, Gotoh 381 Magnum Lock tuners, Bare Knuckle Pickups "Ragnarok" covered set and matte trans Blue/natural Poly finish :)

kemp-ss-custom-blue-leftie-3.jpg

kemp-ss-custom-blue-leftie-1.jpg

kemp-ss-custom-blue-leftie-2.jpg

kemp-ss-custom-blue-leftie-4.jpg

Edited by Guest