Kemp Guitars 2017-18 Build Thread

On 7/23/2017 at 7:26 AM, Prostheta said:

Oops, sorry.... I'm an idiot!

It's still too dark for Birch though. It looks more like torrefied Birch then. That would explain the biscuit smell. Does it have a slight shine to it also....?

Hey, no worries.

Torrefied Birch... I found a couple of examples on Google. This one (below) is the exact colour (both before and after wiping with spirits) of what I have, so perhaps this is it...

[...IMAGE REMOVED...]

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Torrefied is the real term for "heat-treated", "thermowood", "caramelised", "roasted", etc. It certainly smells like baking sugary biscuits when you sand it!

Now to identify which variety of Birch :P

I wouldn't bother too much! haha

Over here we mostly have Betula pubescens or "Downy" Birch. Was over in Tampere on Friday, walking around the arboretum checking out all of the exotic trees there. The leaves of Betula pubescens pirkkanmaa were smaller like a dwarf Maple which was cool. A bunch of different Fraxinus (Ash) such as Excelsior and Nigra, plus some absolutely amazing white Oaks. Beautiful trees, and not all exotic as such....simply nice to see examples of the woods we use in their natural state and dimensions. It's surprising how so many of them don't grow to large sizes, yet we expect big bits of lumber to come from them with large radii growth rings....

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I wouldn't bother too much! haha

Over here we mostly have Betula pubescens or "Downy" Birch. Was over in Tampere on Friday, walking around the arboretum checking out all of the exotic trees there. The leaves of Betula pubescens pirkkanmaa were smaller like a dwarf Maple which was cool. A bunch of different Fraxinus (Ash) such as Excelsior and Nigra, plus some absolutely amazing white Oaks. Beautiful trees, and not all exotic as such....simply nice to see examples of the woods we use in their natural state and dimensions. It's surprising how so many of them don't grow to large sizes, yet we expect big bits of lumber to come from them with large radii growth rings....

You're probably right. Been sanding those necks this afternoon - last chance to catch a whiff of that amazing smell :) - and it's come up really nice. I doubt I'll use it again but the finished colour will look great with the Wenge lams.

I agree with you on how we often ignore the "tree" itself when it comes to timber and what we're building guitars from. Not only that, as an example, we have an absolutely enormous chestnut tree in front of our house. Not one that's often used in making guitars, but I don't think I'd want to cut it down and use it in that way having woken up to see it every morning for the past three years. There's also a Eucalyptus that's thriving quite well here... I used some Smoked Eucalyptus once - amazing black/brown colour and figure... But again, it's not a tree we see here often and I certainly wouldn't want to cut this one down.

Well, I shall be listing these guitar's specs as 3-piece "Roasted Birch" and Wenge necks. Just got to finish sand the bodies now before slapping on some Epoxy sealer and starting the finish on each :)

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Also, I think you could do with an avatar. The new software upgrade should have forced the absence of one to a "K" as the first letter of your screen name. Not sure why not.

Odd, I can see my avatar fine... That said, the logo has changed slightly so I'll update it anyway. Thanks

3 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

Love the orange! And I love the slightly satin look of the finish. I assume that part is only temporary, but still, it looks cool.

The orange has been very popular - it was either that or yellow. The final finish will be matte, same as the black 8-str V in my first thread, but still pretty close to how it looks now - I think the clear I use is 12 gloss units.

1 hour ago, Stu. said:

The combination of orange and archtop SS is so good! That one is giving a Keith Merrow signature vibe.

Just out of curiosity, how come you always recess your TOM bridges?

I had the Keith Merrow Schecter comparison (both the orange and green) on Facebook comments too - pure coincidence.

The recessed TOM, I think, looks better. I like the style of bridge but I also like to keep things as close to the body as possible with no neck angle, so this works all-round :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, psikoT said:

Awesome builds and great color choices... I really love them.

Shame they only wear one pickup, I'll never understand that configuration. :) 

Thanks psikoT - necks are being oiled as we speak so assembly will begin very soon.

As for bridge only pup configuration, I've never used a neck pickup myself and being that these are the first of this style build for me (including testing the new paint), I wanted to put my own mark on them/my own style. I will, however, do neck and mid pups on custom orders :)

42 minutes ago, john487 said:

Those colors are awesome! I think the wood grain was nice enough to do a clear finish also but that probably wouldn't fit the 80's shredder theme.

Thanks john487. They are a bit mental, but I love them and I'm glad you do to. Definitely fitting to my influences on this build and with that modern twist  - being matte. I have a colour palette of 250+ colours available (minus about half or so - who want's a brown guitar?!) so plenty more zany finishes to come soon :)

Shame about covering up that nice quartersawn Sapele but I only use quality wood, painted or not.

Next build... How about a Strat-body inspired guitar? Leftie? Archtop body... And reverse headstock? Yep! Oh, and I've got a fair bit of Wenge and Maple to use up so we'll have some of that too :) Now to decide on the colour...

20708398_1115149331961745_73937973992377

Edited by Guest