Entry for November 2018's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE!

KempGuitars

Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2

49 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Yeah, I could go with that. Apart from the leftie bit.

Thought I'd do something different to cater for the left-handed players amongst us. Sadly, the fretboard blank I have is too short for the half-fan thing... besides that might just screw with my head a little too much :mellow:

24 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

I realize I am late commenting here but that orange is seriously bad ass. 

Not too late at all, my friend. I appreciate the positive comments :) Thank you

Nice work. Like both colors (I have used both in the past in gloss). I think I see a Loch Ness Green build in the Future for me. 

8 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

Nice work. Like both colors (I have used both in the past in gloss). I think I see a Loch Ness Green build in the Future for me. 

Thanks RestorationAD :thumb: I wanted to get back into spraying guitars but it had to be modern. I like the matte look and although I probably will do one or two black guitars in the future, I wanted something "eye-catching". Loch Ness Green will look mental :)

Hey Brett! Nice seeing you out and about, man.

What's this about you starting a new build....? That I just have to see.

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

SG respin is the start of slow return. Thought I would drop in on what is going about. Been a while wanted to see how  the crowd is coming along.

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

18 minutes ago, RestorationAD said:

SG respin is the start of slow return. Thought I would drop in on what is going about. Been a while wanted to see how  the crowd is coming along.

Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RestorationAD said:

Quite a lot! I've got about six builds which are being documented for YouTube. That and it's our 15th year in Sept.

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Matt probably isn't used to our manic and continual habit of socially derailing threads. :lol:

+1

Back to the matter in hand...

The left-handed archtop Strat-body build taking shape. Going with a blue on this one, black Gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan Distortion (white)...

KSD0117-04.jpg

We are back online having recently moved house. Unfortunately, not much to report on the build-front as I've been unpacking boxes... DC3 is nearly ready for oil finish, that leftie Strat-body is ready for spraying (delayed as a result of the move) and the Buckeye Burl top for the custom 8-string multiscale KR3 is now dry enough to use.

The DC3 (which I'm not sure about now as a body shape) will be left natural as the Sapele has a little figure in addition to the q'sawn straight grain. It's accompanied with a Maple/Wenge neck, Makore fretboard and black head plate/veneer. Routed for HS pickup configuration and Gotoh TOM bridge...

kd3150917.jpg

I've also started making a little progress on an 8-string Multiscale neck-thru V, starting with the Wenge/Maple neck, on to which I'm gluing a Marblewood fretboard and Buckeye Burl head plate (to mirror the Buckeye top on the Swamp Ash body) - close-up...

pea150917.jpg

Edited by KempGuitars

Given your relatively modest setup, your work shows a strict eye for cleanliness and keeping the workpiece from getting banged up, scarred, etc. Are you as obsessive as me in sweeping the workbench every minute with a brush? I can't stand working on dust and chips, yet a lot of people can't get past that stage and wonder why their work isn't clean and sharp-looking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Given your relatively modest setup, your work shows a strict eye for cleanliness and keeping the workpiece from getting banged up, scarred, etc. Are you as obsessive as me in sweeping the workbench every minute with a brush? I can't stand working on dust and chips, yet a lot of people can't get past that stage and wonder why their work isn't clean and sharp-looking.

Ive always blown my table off with the air compressor anytime there are chips or sawdust on it to prevent it from getting dented or marred.

• Like 1

Totally. It makes a huge difference to one's peace of mind as well. I get super zen when I have a clean sheet of MDF on the table for working.

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I do like to keep my work surfaces clean - brushing away dust and debris regularly. To be honest, although I have two decent sized (5x3ft) benches in the shop, I do prefer working my faithful Workmate type bench so I can move around the piece easier - especially when routing and carving - so most of the crap falls off that on it's own accord :) Definitely helps to keep workspaces clean though.

Again. You must have a great courage to cover such nice timber in solid colour. I always retract and keep my build natural, for I love nice wood. Go for it, you heve a good eye to pick some awsome hue.

5 hours ago, kmensik said:

Again. You must have a great courage to cover such nice timber in solid colour. I always retract and keep my build natural, for I love nice wood. Go for it, you heve a good eye to pick some awsome hue.

Guilty! I know, the recent green and orange builds have some nice Sapele underneath those Polyurethane coats. I picked some sound looking timber regardless of my intended finish and it turned out to be perfect quartersawn, clean wood. I had no plans to go back to my supplier again so soon so I stuck with the original spec. This latest (DCIII) Sapele build is to remain natural - not perfectly quartersawn but a bit of figure in the grain should pop when I start laying the Tru-Oil :) 

On the bench at the moment... Includes the custom 8-string multiscale KR3 I've spoken of before. The 3-piece Wenge and Maple (thru-body) neck with Marblewood fretboard is ready to glue Swamp Ash wings to before a figured Buckeye Burl top goes on...

22091701.jpg

22090702.jpg

And that leftie Archtop Strat-body that I was last seen working on last month...

22091703.jpg

SHOCK BLUE!! :)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

that blue is pretty killer

It is something :D Black hardware and white pup will look good against it. Will be clear coating this week - should be complete and ready to assemble in a week's time.