Jump to content
KempGuitars

Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2

Recommended Posts

KempGuitars    86

End of another week. What have we been doing in the Kemp workshop? Three generic looking builds coming together but they'll all come to life soon enough with some paint and hardware...

181117.jpg

In the meantime, this box of brutal delights arrived in the post today - BKP Aftermath 8-string set - these are for a forthcoming custom thru-neck DC featuring the Half-fan multiscale fretboard and that stunning Ziricote top seen in the background there :) 

brutaldelights.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Osorio    31
On 08/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, KempGuitars said:

Finished: Custom 8-string KR3 - Buckeye Burl top on Swamp Ash body (wings), Wenge/Maple 3-piece thru-neck, Marblewood fretboard, ABM 3210s, Hipshot Grip-lock, BKP Painkiller (custom 16 degree baseplate) w/ aged cream coils...

peanew1.jpg

peanew2.jpg

peanew3.jpg

peanew4.jpg

Amazing Job!   This top is incredible!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86
4 hours ago, Osorio said:

Amazing Job!   This top is incredible!

Thanks Osorio, always a pleasure to hear what other forum members think about these builds ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86
Four necks prepared for my current batch of builds, ready for carving. This includes that Richlite and the Bocote (on the thru-neck) fretboards which are both woods/materials I've not used before. They've both come up nice and are going to look great on their respective builds. Next week will see work begin on the bodies. Aside from the thru-neck, I won't be posting too many updates until they're ready for spraying as they are all fairly similar in style. However, that Ziricote top will be pulled off the shelf very soon so look out for that :) Have a great weekend!
 
2511171.jpg
 
2511172.jpg
 
2511173.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prostheta    1,257

For a small and relatively modest space, you're making it super-productive and putting out some high quality pieces!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86
34 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

For a small and relatively modest space, you're making it super-productive and putting out some high quality pieces!

Thanks Prostheta 😀 It's a big enough space for me and allows me work at my optimum - that is the most I'd be wanting to be building at any one time, which is what I'm on at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pan_kara    151

So you have a left- and right-handed multiscale in that neck collection.. where is the perpendicular fret for those - the bridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pan_kara    151

Sure, in principle not - I asked because it looks to me like these are meant to have the bridge perpendicular, which is actually I'm thinking of doing for a guitar with a Floyd Rose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86
1 hour ago, pan_kara said:

Sure, in principle not - I asked because it looks to me like these are meant to have the bridge perpendicular, which is actually I'm thinking of doing for a guitar with a Floyd Rose

The neutral fret is at the bridge. I do not feel any benefit from having the neutral fret halfway up the fretboard from an ergonomic point of view. Therefore, moving it to the bridge allows the use of any bridge and non-angled pickups (which have to be custom made). 

You can apply this to a Floyd equipt guitar but you'd need to use a zero fret with the locking nut mounted perpendicular to the centreline as normal... Unless you can find someone willing and able to design and machine you an angled locking nut, of course :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pan_kara    151
7 minutes ago, KempGuitars said:

The neutral fret is at the bridge. I do not feel any benefit from having the neutral fret halfway up the fretboard from an ergonomic point of view. Therefore, moving it to the bridge allows the use of any bridge and non-angled pickups (which have to be custom made). 

There was supposed to be some kind of ergonomic benefit from the fan in the higher positions, but I have too little experience with multiscale to have an opinion on that. I only played one and the fan turned out a bit extreme, high positions are confusing to play for me at the moment. I guess one clear benefit of angling the bridge side is the fact that you can have a bigger scale difference before you get into ridiculous fret angles at the nut. 

11 minutes ago, KempGuitars said:

You can apply this to a Floyd equipt guitar but you'd need to use a zero fret with the locking nut mounted perpendicular to the centreline as normal... Unless you can find someone willing and able to design and machine you an angled locking nut, of course :)

Zero fret was my plan exactly. Combined with a standard locking mechanism.
Aslo gets you out of having to do a compound scarf :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86
1 hour ago, pan_kara said:

There was supposed to be some kind of ergonomic benefit from the fan in the higher positions, but I have too little experience with multiscale to have an opinion on that. I only played one and the fan turned out a bit extreme, high positions are confusing to play for me at the moment. I guess one clear benefit of angling the bridge side is the fact that you can have a bigger scale difference before you get into ridiculous fret angles at the nut. 

Zero fret was my plan exactly. Combined with a standard locking mechanism.
Aslo gets you out of having to do a compound scarf :thumb:

Exactly, no compound scarf :D

Back to the ergonomics of multiscale and where is best to put the neutral fret. With the idea being that the angled frets/nut allowing a better, more comfy hand and/or wrist position at the farthest reaches of the fretboard - I find this really only helps from first to fifth frets. Once you're at 12th fret and beyond, there isn't a need for angled frets because you're wrist is back to a natural position. Of course this can vary a little on your own playing position but I found angled frets pointless and the benefits of standard hardware come into play. 

The benefits on intonation, etc are there wherever the neutral fret lies. 

:)

Edited by KempGuitars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woden    10

Just wanted to say I'm loving your work, Mr Kemp, and thanks for the pointers on multiscales/neutral fret positions etc. I'm doing my first one at the moment and to realise I don't need a slanted bridge or pups is a lot less hassle and money spent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86
45 minutes ago, Woden said:

Just wanted to say I'm loving your work, Mr Kemp, and thanks for the pointers on multiscales/neutral fret positions etc. I'm doing my first one at the moment and to realise I don't need a slanted bridge or pups is a lot less hassle and money spent!

Hey Woden. Not a problem, good to hear that others are benefitting, not only from my posts but also this alternative fret layout. Good luck with the build :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86

8-string thru-neck Half-fan multiscale custom DC taking shape with the Ziricote top glued, shaped and routed/drilled for pups and hardware... 

021217.jpg

Before I sign off. Just a few hours to go to vote for this month's Guitar of the Month and we have a entry ;):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KempGuitars    86

Just a couple of pics of the latest Kemp Guitars custom DC that will be on it's way to Canada tomorrow. Yes, it's quite similar in looks and spec to some of my other recent work. However, aside from being a leftie, it's got a Half-fan multiscale fretboard with the revised 6-string scale lengths (25.5"-26") - which I think works better and really comes into play here as this guitar is setup with heavier 13-56 strings and is tuned to B standard... A perfect example of the need for a 6-string multiscale :) Full spec: Sapele archtop body, Wenge/Sapele 3-piece neck, Macassar Ebony Half-fan multiscale fretboard loaded with Jescar FW57110SS fretwire, Gotoh fixed bridge and 381 Magnum Lock tuners (Cosmo Black) and Bare Knuckle Pickups Nailbomb...

dc121217-01.jpg

dc121217-02.jpg

dc121217-03.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×