I'm making me an 8 string.....electric mandolin

On 26/10/2017 at 2:12 PM, ScottR said:

I prefer to use it dry.  I like to be able to see what the finish looks like without having to wipe it dry. And I don't like putting water on my instrument, and using mineral spirits can gum up the grit. I run the mesh over a scrub brush and wipe on some denim...usually that I'm wearing:D, and the MM unloads easily enough. But your pants do get covered in sanding dust rather quickly.:P

SR

I've found that microfibre cloth is quite good at removing the dust - if you want to keep your pants clean :D

13 hours ago, ScottR said:

C00590.jpg

Wow. What a little cracker!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, curtisa said:

A backside or a mandolin?

Either...but if you choose a mandolin, it should have a lovely backside.

21 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Nice job, Scott. Don't misplace it though; it's so teeny.

Thanks. Maybe I should get a leash for it....so I don't lose it.

I was told today that some pics make you forget you are not looking at another guitar build...then seeing it up against the bricks brings the scale back into focus.

SR

The string spacing is not all that different from a guitar, if measured from center of a pair to center of a pair. The fret spacing does take a bit of getting used to....and I just tried from the first position so far! I think the upper frets may be useless or nearly so--there's not much room  between them.

A slide might be cool though....:mellow:

Electric slide mandolin, anyone?

:)

SR

Thank you sir!

I just have the barest of a kernel of an idea for my next build at his point. The one part that is becoming firmer is the idea of a zebrano top treated the same way I did this back. Oddly enough I have done a couple of builds with zebrano now, but have not used it for a top...and as you say, that Tru-Oil really makes it glow.

SR

14 hours ago, nollnoll7 said:

I'm curious about the sound, too. Will you provide some examples??

I don't have that capability. I do have a buddy that used to run a studio that would make sound clips for me, but alas, he shut it down a few years back. I want sound clips too, but don't hold your breath.:unsure:

SR

Beautiful Job, Scott!  Most times I prefer bookmatched face panels, but this one piece top really fits the design.  As expected, the craftsmanship, finish and design are superb.  

I wonder if the right rig and distortion could make that play heavy metal.  Would be hilarious to see peoples reactions if it could.  Or is that sacrilege to such fine class of instrument?  I'm sure it will sound great no matter what.   

5 minutes ago, StratsRdivine said:

Beautiful Job, Scott!  Most times I prefer bookmatched face panels, but this one piece top really fits the design.  As expected, the craftsmanship, finish and design are superb.  

I wonder if the right rig and distortion could make that play heavy metal.  Would be hilarious to see peoples reactions if it could.  Or is that sacrilege to such fine class of instrument?  I'm sure it will sound great no matter what.   

Thank you sir!

This thing will get pushed pretty hard with that in mind just to see what happens, and as you say--the reactions!:D I have played with a gain pedal and my Dr. Z and it distorts and overdrives, but still retains some mandolin characteristics. I assume that is from the pitches inherent to that short scale and the paired strings.

This is going to be quite entertaining to play with.:)

SR

• Like 1

20 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Just got back after a few days away so just caught up with this, wow that's what I call a result, That's a beauty Scott well done, really enjoyed following this build.

Why thank you sir. I'm glad you enjoyed watching it come together, as I certainly enjoyed putting it together. I'm having a good time learning how to play it.

SR