The Oracle - First Build in 3 Years - Glad To Be Back!

8 minutes ago, 10pizza said:

welcome back John

great workshop you have there! Would love to have something like that myself.

Hey thanks heaps!  I've been through 5 workshops in the past 7 years or so due to moving house too many times.  My last setup was in an open carport with tarps set up as windbreaks! The things we do to build guitars.  Actually, the carport setup literally stopped me building due to 3 warped necks - all with incurable upbow.  I vowed and declared after that disappointment that I wouldn't build again until I had a proper humidity controlled environment.  Wood is hard enough to tame without adding wild humidity fluctuations into the mix - so far so good in the new workshop.  First neck is dead flat at zero truss rod tension :thumb:.  Glad to be in a "forever" home now so the workshop is set up and it's not going anywhere!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

my apologies for both the delay in posting and the quality of these pics. 

The thick beam first - the laser is approximately 6 feet from the ruler- I had a really hard time getting pics to come out- I actually ended up taking these with my phone as the dSLR wasnt having it without flash and that of course wiped out the laser

That beam is approximately 4/32" or 3.175mm

The thin beam next- the laser is approx 2 feet from the ruler here. That beam is a hair over 2/32 so maybe 1.75mm would be my guess. 

20170826_222009.jpg

20170826_222307.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow!  Really appreciate you taking the time to post this.  The thinner the beam the better so it looks like you have a great piece of equipment there.  What make/brand etc is the thin one?  Mine is definitely the thicker one.  Having said that - the result I achieved by eyeballing the centre of the 3mm beam has given me as close to a perfect neck alignment as I could hope for.  This technology is absolutely the way to go for me.

On 8/27/2017 at 6:38 PM, Ethereal Guitars said:

What make/brand etc is the thin one?  

its Titan brand- I am not sure they make these anymore though. I looked on their website and didnt find laser levels of any kind. I have a 15 piece -there is a 7 piece on various websites for around $50 or so. Mine I think was more like (?) $200 I think. There are "heads" (prisms) that you can put in the end where the laser comes out. Those heads change the beam. 

this is the best picture I could find- click on the link- in the picture- you can see the heads in the lower left corner- those pop into the end of the laser level. it looks like the 7 piece includes a flat beam and 90 degree bent beam- so- no telling if that flat beam is thick or thin- if you can find that 15 piece- that is the one I have 

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/titan-tit15000-7-pcs-laser-level-kit/212939725.html