Entry for December's Guitar Of The Month contest is now open!
http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/49144-guitar-of-the-month-december-2017/

Mr Natural

blast from the past- ticket stubs from early 80s

Mr Natural    239

going thru files on my old computer- transferring what I need to to my new computer- stumbled across this scan of some old concert ticket stubs that I had attended with my best friend growing up- instant smile on my face. Thought I would share. One of the best and one of the saddest concerts I have been to are on here- the 1981 priest/maiden show was awesome- maiden with di'anno!! still the greatest metal band with that line up imho- and the aerosmith show was the only show I had attended at the syracuse war memorial (oncenter now) where a curtain cut off half the place- so- instead of seating 8000 it held about 3500 and they didnt fill that.  

concert tickets.jpg

• Like 1

Tim37    127

Wish I had, had the foresight to save ticket stubs.

I can say there are more than one of those bands I would have liked to have seen

Saw aerosmith back in the late 90's.

MiKro    142

Let's see Willie Nelson 4th of July picnic 1974 Texas, Kiss 1976 Ft worth Texas I remember the first part, dropped a hit of purple microdot, After that who fucking knows, ZZ top Florida 1975 I think? Wet Willie, Jethro Tull, Alabama 1972  Fuck I know there are more than that???  Somewhere I saw Black Sabbath??? Fuck me I was Stoned most of the time. LOL!!!

Tim37    127

Willie Nelson puts on a hell of a show I think he did about a 3 and half hour set when I saw him

• Like 2

Mr Natural    239

@MiKrowillie nelson 4th of july picnic-funny you mention that show- that was filmed- texas speedway- when I was active in music (live bootleg) trading- I knew a guy who was a big Leon Russell fan- and he played at that show if I am not mistaken- he was looking for that VHS/DVD in trade- it was the only show on his "want" list I tried getting it (with no luck) so I could trade for some rare shows he had on his list

• Like 1

curtisa    466

Rush '81. Nice!  Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left is my favourite period from their catalogue.

Tim37    127

As a teenager I used to work the concessions at what then was the indoor biggest venue in little rock.  So I got in to see alot of live music just had to sling popcorn and hotdogs in-between sets, some shows you didn't get to see much but usually by the headliner the crowd would clear our and I got to go up and see the band playing, it was pretty cool broadened my musical taste too also cost me a lot in my twenties I used to go see alot of live music back then now not so much.  

komodo    81

For the younger folk, take look at the prices. All of my old stubs are of similar vintage, and the $13.50 floor seats still get me. I've got a bunch of Maiden, Priest, Deep Purple, an Asia . . . one million 80s metal bands.

ScottR    1,366

I saw Pink Floyd on the Animals tour in the late 70's and the tickets were under $20.  I saw Roger Waters in 2008 and the tickets were &200. 

And it took Snowy White and Doyle Bramhall and two other dudes to play Gilmour's part...but to be fair, Snowy White was standing in the dark and playing with Gilmour on the Animals tour too.

SR

Mr Natural    239

I am missing my first show ticket stub which was Scorpions, Judas Priest and Def Leppard- but I remember the price- $6.50! I think the Blizzard of Oz ticket in early 81 was like 7 or 8 bucks. yeah- I was pricing out tickets a month or two ago- A perfect circle was $138. um, no. 

I got pissed when the rolling stones broke the $50 mark- then the eagles broke the $100 mark. unreal. 

i have probably only seen 10 or less shows in the last 10 years- vs prior to that I remember I had my list together and it was up over 300+ shows -the wifey and I used to plan vacations around going out of state and seeing shows Now that the kids are grown I may start going more- but prices are freaking nuts. 

@ScottR-Doyle- ARC ANGELS! I have seen them a few times in the past. 

ScottR    1,366

I would have loved to have seen the Arc Angels. I think they are performing again in the Austin area.

My first show was the Steve Miller Band--Fly Like  An Eagle Tour and  $6.50 was about what it was. Of course $6.50 in '75 is worth about $75 now.

When rock stopped sounding like classic rock, I discovered today's blues is what sounds like classic rock...since that's where classic rock was born. And that music can be seen live for $20. Bonamassa  is commanding big bucks these days, but you can still see guys like Mike Zito, Tab Benoit, Walter Trout, and Tinsley Ellis (from your neck of the woods) for $20-$30, and drink an IPA while you're at it!

SR

Mr Natural    239

ha- I was listening to Walter Trout(live) the other day (cassette tape!)

I saw Bonamassa when he was like 12 or 13 or something-I think it was Danny Gatton  playing "party at the square" which was a wednesday night after work concert summer series in downtown syracuse sponsored by the city - a drinking fest in the middle of the week with a band at Camillus Square in downtown Syracuse basically-part of the "rejuvenate downtown plan"- anyway- Gatton introduces him- he comes out- chubby- bowl cut hairdo- the tele he was playing was as big as he was- and man he layed it down. he played on the radio that morning- they played hendrix's version of hey joe and had him play over it- wow. anyway-he was from Utica NY which is like 30 miles from syracuse. good to see a "local" boy make it. 

Tinsely Ellis I have "seen" several times as an opening act/part of a blues fest over the years- and sadly I have little recollection of his sets. when I was younger blues fests were more of a party for me rather than a concert. unless there was someone specific I wanted to see- I rarely paid attention:facepalm:

ScottR    1,366

I've seen you tube video of Bonamassa playing on stage with Danny Gatton at about that age (as it would have to be), and it was just as you described. I saw Walter Trout and Tinsley Ellis this past winter and typically see Tab a couple of times a year and Mike Zito 3 or 4 times a year, Zito is my favorite of the bunch, but they all know what the hell a guitar is for.

SR

Mr Natural    239

some more blasts from the past- not all early 80s though. My pink floyd ticket was $20 on the nose. Wished I had seen them in the 70s but atleast I got the full blown quad sound/flying pigs/plane crash excitement. We were wondering what the hell was up the empty section in the section next to us- half way thru- KABOOM and man the heat flash was something else. I dont think they could get away with that these days with liability. 

I have pics from some of these- I will post under separate topic. might have to start a "blast from the past" series. I might have to post some old band tapes (ha ha ha). if I can figure out how to do that. Then I can really embarrass myself and post a vid from an old public access cable tv show. at least I had hair and a decent build back then. Gotta get the vhs working and figure out how to digitize that sucker. 

concert tix2.png

concert tix3.png

curtisa    466

Seeing your retro ticket stubs reminded me of a bit of Rush trivia.

Back in the mid-90s when internet was still dialup and there weren't any online forums to speak of, I used to participate in a Rush email mailing list. One of the other participants commented that he'd been in attendance at the recording of one of their concerts that eventually was released as the 1976 'All The World's A Stage' live album. He mentioned that Alex Lifeson had terrible trouble keeping his guitars in tune that evening, and although there are a couple of brief recorded sections in the album where Alex can be heard tuning his guitars in between songs, it was only the tip of the iceberg on that night.

If you happen to have a copy of that album and listen closely to a few of the songs, you can hear that the echo of the guitar in the concert hall and the actual guitar are at times playing different things, and that the echo is sometimes out of tune. They obviously made the decision to overdub Alex's guitar parts in the studio after the gig to hide the tuning problems in the live recording.

Mr Natural    239
20 hours ago, curtisa said:

If you happen to have a copy of that album and listen closely to a few of the songs, you can hear that the echo of the guitar in the concert hall and the actual guitar are at times playing different things, and that the echo is sometimes out of tune. They obviously made the decision to overdub Alex's guitar parts in the studio after the gig to hide the tuning problems in the live recording.

thanks Curtisa- you have me so wondering about this now I am going to have to drag my power amp and turntable out of retirement and set up so I can play my album. I guess I would have thought previously it was tape "warble" from the echo plex he used- but now- well- its been so long since I have listened to that album- you got me wondering. 

I have some boot legs of zep where the echo plex sounds a bit pitchy- but I always thought that was just the piss poor quality of the boot recording + the tape warble. 

Guess what I am listening to this weekend!!

curtisa    466
1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

Guess what I am listening to this weekend!!

Barbra Streisand's Greatest Hits? ;)

Just to clarify, it's not the echoplex effect that plays differently to the guitar, it's the natural reverberation of the guitar sound in the auditorium picked up by the other microphones that sounds different/out of tune. From memory it's pretty obvious in the 'Working Man/Finding My Way' medley at the end of the album.

Makes you wonder how many other live albums are truly live.

Mr Natural    239

some more- some from early 80s, some later. 

that thompson twins concert was a radio contest freebie (4 tickets). that was an eye opener- I think that was the first time I was exposed to new wave/whatever that group is considered in a concert setting. very judgmental crowd- almost got in a fight due to cracks being made about me and my boys showing up in "metal" regalia (black concert tee's, jeans, denim jacket- standard issue northside syracuse attire growing up at the time). felt more welcome at the hippie dead shows back then. ha. 

oh- and my ears are still ringing from that Scorpions concert- row AX is front row- the PA stacks started  just to the left of us (this was years before everyone started hanging their pa stacks in the air). Seriously- My ears ring all the time. Loudest concert I have ever been to. Bar none.

tix4.png

ScottR    1,366

I used to go to Ted Nugent concerts in Kansas City all the time. Typically it was at Arrowhead stadium at one of the many Summerjams they had back in the 70's. The night of what turned out to be the last one, there were noise complaints from 5 miles away....and then they didn't have those anymore.

SR

Mr Natural    239
On 8/1/2017 at 10:53 PM, curtisa said:

Barbra Streisand's Greatest Hits? ;)

Just to clarify, it's not the echoplex effect that plays differently to the guitar, it's the natural reverberation of the guitar sound in the auditorium picked up by the other microphones that sounds different/out of tune. From memory it's pretty obvious in the 'Working Man/Finding My Way' medley at the end of the album.

yeah- so- I need to find my headphones for this- I listened to this over the weekend - and honestly I am not picking it up much but full disclosure- the speakers I have right now are not really the best. I need my good headphones. I keep thinking I hear it- but honestly cant pick it up yet. headphones will reveal the truth!

listening to this- I forgot how much I loved the sound of the Electric Mistress pedal

On 8/1/2017 at 10:53 PM, curtisa said:

I know there is a ton of controversy over the album- but I still say that Eddie Kramer did a masterful job mixing the crowd "track" on Alive! from Kiss. Some of those venues they played back then were NOT that big- but man he made them sound like stadiums. He is my all time favorite engineer/producers- Electric Ladyland and Physical Graffiti need I say more?

I will report in after the headphones are unearthed. I want to hear it now. 

curtisa    466

I broke out All The World's A Stage last week off the back of that post and had another listen to it. It's definitely easier to hear the edits on headphones:

• The guitar immediately following the solo of Something For Nothing has definitely been redubbed from about 2:13 onwards. The guitar tone changes slightly at this point, and the pickslide Alex does at the end of the following chorus (about 3:00) in the left channel doesn't match the reverb'ed version captured in the right.
  • I suspect the Soliloquy section of the 2112 medly is entirely the product of a studio recording rather than something recorded live from stage. Everything sounds different - the auditorium sounds and reverb disappear, the drums sound drier, the guitar sounds like it's been recorded in an isolation booth, Geddy's vocals sound much more crisper and 'up close' compared to what would've been captured from the PA.
  • Guitar from the Finding My Way section of the final medly up to the drum solo has been dubbed (4:00 - 9:23), possibly even for the entire Working Man/Finding My Way medly. The reverb in the right channel gradually gets more and more out of tune with the guitar in the left, and the dubbed solo (7:00) at times plays different things to the reverb.

There are probably more in there, but they're the obvious ones to my ears.

Another one to listen to is Led Zep's The Song Remains The Same live disc. A lot of the performances of each song are made up of edited takes from several versions recorded on different nights with no attempt to match the sections being joined. The last minute or so of Rock and Roll is obviously spliced from a different recording than the rest of the track, and the Dazed and Confused has been cut to ribbons with edits all over the place.

10pizza    51
On 2-8-2017 at 4:53 AM, curtisa said:

read in Sammy Hagar's Red biography that Mighty Ed van Halen re-recorded all of the guitarwork on the Live: Right Here, Right Now album in his home studio.

Still, great guitarwork ;-)

ScottR    1,366

Thin Lizzy's Highly acclaimed live album supposedly had the same treatment....and likewise was still a great album.

SR