Sign in to follow this  
Mr Natural

blast from the past-#3 concert photos

Mr Natural    239

May take me some time to find and load these- I literally have thousand of photo prints from family, baseball, concerts, travel- you name it. Iwill load as I find them- continuing the "blast from the past" series since its too hot out in the garage to build anything right now. 

First up- Ozzy and the blizzard of ozz 2/11/83. Phil Collins played the night after and blew ozzy away. (that band was tight as FOOK). Vandenberg opened for ozz and they blew him away. Felt bad for Jake- he was a decent guitar player but ozz was back to his old ways here- and would soon become the comic character we all know now. nothing like the blizzard show I saw with Randy. It didnt help that the bass player (not Bob Daisley, not Rudy Sarzo) was doing the whole- "oh baby" routine and licking his lips-that was a bit much. and a buzz kill. Second row seats here- so- that shite was in our faces- not cool when you are 15 and at a metal show. and the crowd is like 99.99% dudes. I am not homophobic- just saying. not cool. Halford never did that shit and he was gay- (and still one of the greatest metal voices ever).  

ozzy83_2nd.png

ozzy83.png

Mr Natural    239

Roy Buchanan- Longbranch Park, Syracuse NY July 10, 1988 The "greatest unknown guitarist in the world". Sadly this is one of his last shows- he died less than a month later. 

Set list- 

Hey Joe

You Cant Judge an Atom by looking at the ozone

Jack the Ripper

When a Guitar Plays the Blues

Suzie Q

Green Onions

Hot Cha

Down by the river

The Messiah will come again

roy 1.png

roy 2.png

• Like 1

Mr Natural    239

Santana Longbranch Park, Syracuse NY July 19, 1987   

he is playing a very early Paul Reed Smith -and not his Santana Model either. I have not found any other photos from that time frame with this guitar.

a couple of these are a bit out of focus but the fact that ANY of these were in focus was a miracle. I included a shot looking back at the crowd- Longbranch Park is a very hip little "natural amphitheater" to see a summer show at- and the balloons that day- well- added to the atmosphere. 

set list

beat of the drum

one

Primera Invasion

open invitation

she's not there

incident at neshabur

aida

savor

cavatina

black magic woman>gypsy queen

oye como va>

evil ways>

jingo>

once its gotcha

ENC) Soul Sacrifice>

by the pool

Europa>

dig deeper

san1.png

san 2.png

san3.png

san4.png

ScottR    1,366

Roy Buchanan was an amazing guitarist.

Dude you have one hell of a concert resume!  I did see Santana once, in the summer of '76. He co-headlined with Peter Frampton, who was on his Frampton Comes Alive tour. It was one of those summer jam deals, and Gary Wright, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and Black Oak Arkansas all played before the headliners....and possibly The Little River Band....I know longer remember for sure. That was a long time ago.

SR

Mr Natural    239

I lived for live music when I was younger- spent an assload of money on concerts/travel/etc- like I said- the wifey and I would plan VACATIONS around tours and stuff when we were younger. I loved going to concert halls and stadiums and such I had never been to before. But I loved all aspects of it too- I would always try to talk to the sound guys to see what the deal was with total wattage of the PA- how many amps were actually hooked up. miked etc. I usually got blown off by those guys as they were on time schedule- a few here and there were cool. 

ARS- I loved those guys back in the day. Saw them many times. One of the best times ever my wife and I saw them at Club LaVela (edit- it was Spinnakers- not LaVela- they are right next to each other)- in Panama City Beach Florida 93 maybe 94ish- (edit- after looking at family vacation photos- the year was more like 96/97ish) they would play- then belly up to the bar in between sets and strike up a convo- no ego- totally cool . I was so bummed with all of Ronnie Hammonds demons finally getting him- and Barry Bailey getting MS- I loved his playing. So sad. 

• Like 1

Mr Natural    239

meant to also say- Frampton (imo) has got one of the best lead guitar tones ever- I have always enjoyed him live.  not talking about the talkbox- but his distorted solo tone is just the one of my favorite tones ever. I have seen him a number of times over the years. My wife (who is almost 5 years my elder) saw him on the 77 tour at the Omni in Atlanta. I got hooked on Frampton by listening to my brother's and sister's album collection growing up (they are 10 and 8 years older respectively)- Humble Pie rockin the filmore- I started listening to that when I was about 10 or so- as Frampton was all over the airwaves in 76-77. I also listened to the soundtrack from Hair at a very young age- which probably explains a lot in my life. :lol: (and if you get that- good for you- shhh)

ScottR    1,366

Hair, that brings back some memories. I loved the soundtrack, the movie, and even saw the off-Broadway stage show in Pensacola. Good stuff!

SR

Mr Natural    239

Not concert per se- but record signing.

Accept at (I think it was called Gerber Music) Rochester NY, 5/27/1985

They opened for Iron Maiden at the Rochester War Memorial that night.  I didnt even attempt to get my SLR camera in there- Rochester War Memorial event staff was notorious for busting people trying to smuggle various things in- I took these shots with a little Instamatic camera- didn't want to leave anything of value in the car. 

Set list- Accept- Metal Heart, london leatherboys, love child, midnight lover, screaming for a love bite, too high to get it right, living for tonight, up to the limit, balls to the wall

Set list- Maiden- Aces High, 2 min to midnight, trooper, revelations, flight of icarus, rime of the ancient mariner, power slave, number of the best ,hallowed be thy name, Iron Maiden Enc) Run to the Hills, Running Free, Sanctuary

I have an audience recorded (vs soundboard) recording of this concert somewhere in my boxed up collection of cassettes. 

udo accept.png

komodo    81

I saw that tour, front row. Maiden was one of my favs.

+1 on Frampton. In an age when everyone was trying to outdo each other with speed and technique, Frampton just PLAYS. If you scroll through YouTube a bit and find solos by him, he's always super inventive with structure and sonics. You know he lives in the suburbs in Ohio now.

ScottR    1,366

The last I heard of Frampton, he was helping a young guitarist I really like, Davie Knowles, producing his last album and writing one of the songs together.....might be the next to last album by now.

SR

Mr Natural    239

Grateful Dead, Silver Stadium, Rochester, NY 7/2/87

I only found this one photo mixed in with other shows- I took a ton at that show- no idea where the others are-I will post later if any are worth a hoot (and I track them down- ugh)

Set list set 1 Hell In A Bucket-> Bertha, Walkin' Blues, Dire Wolf, My Brother Esau, When Push Comes To Shove, Tons Of Steel, Me & My Uncle-> Mexicali Blues, Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy, Deal

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Samson & Delilah, Looks Like Rain, He's Gone-> Jam-> Drums-> Space-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Black Muddy River

Edit- I have the wrong venue and date listed above- this photo is Buffalo NY and not Rochester. My pix are all mixed up. 

Edit#2- this show is Rich Stadium Buffalo NY 7/16/90- good old youtube helped me get the date and stadium right. I am having a bunch of these pix developed as I have negatives- but its hard to tell whats what and I have mixed different years of negatives together- nice move. I will post more.

phil roch.png

Mr Natural    239

Dizzy Gillespe- Syracuse Jazz Fest- Longbranch Park Syracuse NY 8/6/89

no idea what he played- I was just there to have a good time. 

dizzy.png

Mr Natural    239

I am not sure of the exact date on this one- Its definitely Longbranch Park Syracuse NY (I have a lot of photos from there as you could bring anything in (coolers with beer/etc) without hassle-part of what made it so cool.

I think this was Syracuse Jazz Fest August 9, 1987- This is Mark Egan on a nice pedulla buzz fretless, and I think that guitar player is Steve Kahn and I think that is a LoBue/Guitar Lab (NYC) double neck. I am going to try to contact Mark Egan with these pics to try to confirm date and that guitar player/guitar. This would have been opening for John McLaughlin (with Jonas Hellborg on bass) and Sun Ra and his orkestra). or- it might be from 1990 opening for Tuck and Patti- not sure. 

@Prostheta as I know you are a Carl Thompson fan- bit of history-Charles LoBue partnered with Thompson right before Thompson went out on his own in 1973/4. They were in the same building as Dan Armstrong in NYC working as a repair shop at first. I think I read somewhere that Larry Dimarzio was part of Guitar Lab at one time as well before he broke out on his own. 

egan1.png

egan2.png

komodo    81

Last night I was watching a YouTube vid of Ritchie Blackmoore playing last year with Rainbow. I was curious to see what he was like since he "came back to rock". He was looking pretty mellow and slow, and I thought he's just bored. I remember the Perfect Strangers tour from the front row and he was on fire. Found a live show from Perfect Strangers tour to watch, and then did the math . . . .32 years ago . . . ugh! Yeah, he's just old!

• Like 1

ScottR    1,366
7 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but let me just say this; You guys are old... :lol:

I kid, I kid. ;)

Yes... yes we are.

1 hour ago, komodo said:

Found a live show from Perfect Strangers tour to watch, and then did the math . . . .32 years ago . . . ugh! Yeah, he's just old

It seems like every month I hear about one of the guys I grew up listening to having a birthday and turning 70.

SR

komodo    81

The tidal wave is coming brother, brace yourself. I'm probably gonna go passed out in my living room with all of my vinyl spread all around. A couple years ago I ditched all of my CDs and went 100% vinyl, and have discovered all kinds of new old stuff.

IMG_3923.JPG

Mr Natural    239
8 hours ago, komodo said:

The tidal wave is coming brother, brace yourself. I'm probably gonna go passed out in my living room with all of my vinyl spread all around. A couple years ago I ditched all of my CDs and went 100% vinyl, and have discovered all kinds of new old stuff.

we may have to put this in its own thread-this one could go on and on and on. I have at least 8 moving boxes of albums packed. I bought a turn table that transfers to MP3 (yuck) so I could try and digitize some of the rarer stuff. Havent touched it yet- to many other things going. 

ScottR    1,366

M old turntable went bad at a time when new ones were hard to come by. I ultimately ditched the vinyl and the CDs and put every thing in thumb drives. I'll never buy another vehicle that isn't capable of playing music off a thumb drive.

SR

• Like 1

Mr Natural    239

Rich Stadium 7/16/90 One of the few concerts (ever) I was sober at. I was starting my big boy job and was "cleaning out the tubes". ;)

set 1 Hell In A Bucket, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo, Blow Away, Mama Tried, Mexicali Blues, Loose Lucy, It's All Over Now, High Time, Let It Grow, Don't Ease Me In

set 2 Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Begonias, Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Ship Of Fools, Truckin', Drums>Space, The Wheel, Gimme Some Lovin', Wharf Rat
Around & Around, Sunshine Daydream Enc) Brokedown Palace

Bob Weir playing the Casio/Modulus Graphite hybrid guitar, Jerry Garcia with Cripe Rosebud guitar

bobby.png

jer.png

Mr Natural    239

Crosby Stills Nash Rich Stadium 7/16/1990 opening for the dead. I was hoping Crosby would play his Alembic/Guild 12 string but no such luck. I say him play it once years prior but like the loch ness monster/big foot/ufos- when you have a camera its no where to be found. It seemed to be a strat day in CSN land this particular day. Would love to get my hands on that Boogie amp behind Crosby though. Or that old Marshall head behind Stills.

Edit- forgot the set list

Love the One You're With, Chicago, ,Drive My Car, Live It Up, Got It Made, Just A Song Before I Go, Nighttime For the Generals
For What It's Worth, Wasted on the Way, Our House, Almost Cut My Hair, Helplessly Hoping, Deja Vu, Got To Keep Open
Southern Cross, Wooden Ships , E: Teach Your Children, Woodstock

cros1.png

stills1.png

csn2a.png

csn1a.png

• Like 1

Mr Natural    239

The Police, Holleder Stadium, Rochester, NY 8/7/1983 . I remember a couple of things about this show- it was hot as hell- and the cops /security were very uncool. parking was a bit insufficient there and there were tons of cops/undercovers going around the stadium and nearby neighborhoods which made the "parking lot scene" completely uncool and "not safe' to party in-towtrucks- the whole nine yards. Rochester shows were always "uptight" when it came to security but this was overboard.  This was one of the last concerts at Holleder- they tore it down a couple years later if memory serves me correctly. 

police1.png

Mr Natural    239

Grateful Dead, Silver Stadium, Rochester, NY 7/2/87

Set list set 1 Hell In A Bucket-> Bertha, Walkin' Blues, Dire Wolf, My Brother Esau, When Push Comes To Shove, Tons Of Steel, Me & My Uncle-> Mexicali Blues, Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy, Deal

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Samson & Delilah, Looks Like Rain, He's Gone-> Jam-> Drums-> Space-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Black Muddy River

jer roch1.png

bob roch1.png

dead roch1.png