Custom templates?

DandHcustoms

55 minutes ago, DandHcustoms said:

I'd like to order some acrylic templates and curious where to do so. Also what programs are you guys using to render body/ neck shapes when you order, 

Thank you, 

Recommended PG article by @Prostheta :  Laser Cutting Router Templates - Painlessly.  This is a great place to start - basically answers all your questions, and some others you might not have even known to ask.

-- se

Edited by eubie

@KnightroExpress laser cuts his own, however I believe Andrew uses a local makerspace or similar?

@DandHcustoms - I use TurboCAD to output my files as more or less universal DXF files. The company I rely on - Guitars and Woods - import those into CorelDRAW! which is then "printed" at the laser (sounds like an Epilog to me). If you're familiar with Corel then you can design in there directly, however I spent years doing CAD in TurboCAD so I have a very defined workflow. Regardless, any software that can export to DXF from a workspace defined in real-world dimensions should do the trick. What software do you work with regularly?

On 8/11/2017 at 11:37 AM, Prostheta said:

@KnightroExpress laser cuts his own, however I believe Andrew uses a local makerspace or similar?

@DandHcustoms - I use TurboCAD to output my files as more or less universal DXF files. The company I rely on - Guitars and Woods - import those into CorelDRAW! which is then "printed" at the laser (sounds like an Epilog to me). If you're familiar with Corel then you can design in there directly, however I spent years doing CAD in TurboCAD so I have a very defined workflow. Regardless, any software that can export to DXF from a workspace defined in real-world dimensions should do the trick. What software do you work with regularly?

Just getting round to check this. I have very little experience with any cad programs so the simpler the better. 

I have mdf templates that i've made already but looking for something a little more precise.

CNC-made templates are the most precise, simply because the cutting tool cuts up to the edges whereas a laser has a kerf width. A smart cookie can cheat by knowing the kerf size of a certain laser and offset cuts by half that amount for better accuracy. To all intents and purposes though, a laser-cut template is as accurate as one may really need. Most 5mm acrylic templates are cut with about 0.1mm to 0.2mm kerf size.